• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

You can tell they are not super smart when they choose to write "same as above"

several times rather than repeat the much shorter word "ebay".

And also when did knocking money off for "factory opened box" (i.e nicked by the

pikey Ebay seller from the Curries the work in) become saving money?

Does the thought that perhaps they don't need an £80 kettle (no matter what it is

reduced to) and a flat screen TV ever cross their mind?

Maybe I am just cynical?

ST

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest Bart of Darkness
So just from the above already in 1 week i saved £2056

Should have bought twice as much, then he could have saved £4104. A few weeks like that and he'll have the money to buy his flat outright.

Errrrrr......... :unsure:

HOLA446

And also when did knocking money off for "factory opened box" (i.e nicked by the

Does the thought that perhaps they don't need an £80 kettle (no matter what it is

Maybe I am just cynical?

ST

No I think your right. Clearly they have no idea about life. Why buy a £28 quid kettle when you can buy a £5 one? Frankly i have had a brushed stainless kettle and never again. They really are shitty, they always look dirty, they smeer e.t.c. crappy.

£5. Plastic. Tesco. Does nicely.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Maybe I am just cynical?

ST

:lol::lol:

excellent

harsh but 100% correct

if people are that stupid then they probably deserve to get conned

HOLA449

"How much did you save this month?" says the HPCer

"Well, I spent £800 from my £1k earnings, so £200." says the HPC lurker

"I got a £80 hoover for £28, so £52!" says the MSE'er who hasn't yet understood what saving really means.

HOLA4410
Should have bought twice as much, then he could have saved £4104. A few weeks like that and he'll have the money to buy his flat outright.

Errrrrr......... :unsure:

:lol:

if she carries on spending, er saving like that then in a year or two she could well be a millionaire :)

HOLA4411

Maybe I am just cynical?

ST

I think that you'll find that you do need a flat screen TV. I've got 3 and would like at least 2 more. Apart from the picture quality improvement, they take up so much less room in your house than the old style boxes.

I think that some people on here need to get it into their heads that a home is a place to live in and that investments should be something on top of that.

HOLA4412
I think that you'll find that you do need a flat screen TV. I've got 3 and would like at least 2 more. Apart from the picture quality improvement, they take up so much less room in your house than the old style boxes.

I think that some people on here need to get it into their heads that a home is a place to live in and that investments should be something on top of that.

Please tell me you are being ironic....

...please.

ST

HOLA4413

45 x Dove body 50ML moisterisers

Aside from the fact that I have no idea what these are or what you do with them, I think it is an incredibly sad indictment of the government and the education system in this country that a young person (presumably) FTB has just bought a new build flat at what is more likely than not (being generous here) to be at or near the top of a market which is about to crash, with interest rates rising and they are more concerned with getting a few free disposables than the financial noose they have just put their neck in.

I find it very very difficult to laugh at this. They are naive and ignorant and being bent over and a*se r*aped by people who are much better informed than they are. I think this is nothing short of scandalous actually, and hope to god I can instill in my own children some understanding of these things so they don't move from their £25 a week teenage satuday jobs to the sort of economic cannon fodder this poster is about to become. :angry:

HOLA4414
Please tell me you are being ironic....

...please.

ST

No way. Got 3 sky boxes, SKY+ and Setanta subscription as well.

Nothing wrong with having a nice modern place with all mod cons.

The main living area doesn't even have a TV though, as its nice to have a big room as a TV free zone for books and music and entertaining only.

HOLA4415
No way. Got 3 sky boxes, SKY+ and Setanta subscription as well.

Nothing wrong with having a nice modern place with all mod cons.

The main living area doesn't even have a TV though, as its nice to have a big room as a TV free zone for books and music and entertaining only.

Unless I lived in a rabbit hutch I don't think I would ever consider the 2 square feet in front of my television

worth the additional premium paid on a flat panel TV.

But on your other point re. a house being somewhere to live in and investments etc.. being on top.

In many ways I agree, the fact is that prices have now pushed houses to a level where they

can only be seen as a speculative investment, if you were just paying for the "roof over your head"

then you would rent.

"All mod cons". Brilliant. :lol:

Like some 50s housewife.

Does it have robots carrying dustpans and brushes which fly out of the walls wearing aprons?

ST

HOLA4416
Unless I lived in a rabbit hutch I don't think I would ever consider the 2 square feet in front of my television

But on your other point re. a house being somewhere to live in and investments etc.. being on top.

In many ways I agree, the fact is that prices have now pushed houses to a level where they

can only be seen as a speculative investment, if you were just paying for the "roof over your head"

then you would rent.

Like some 50s housewife.

Does it have robots carrying dustpans and brushes which fly out of the walls wearing aprons?

ST

Probably not to the taste of many of the skin flints on here, but I consider that improvement in TV technology and the ability to watch sporting events from all over the world at any time to be one of the great improvements in modern life.

Most of the other advances of the last 20 years I can take or leave, but being able to watch a huge choice of sporting events from around the world is a major improvement in my view.

HOLA4417

Yeah I agree, he has expensive tastes. It would be useful to know how much he earns before having too much of a go.

If he had budgeted for these purchases then he now has a couple of grand he wouldnt have had. Of course, if it were me it would be an even bigger saving but, as Ive found out, not everyone thinks agressive saving is worthwhile. Or maybe they are just argumentative ;)!

HOLA4418
Probably not to the taste of many of the skin flints on here, but I consider that improvement in TV technology and the ability to watch sporting events from all over the world at any time to be one of the great improvements in modern life.

Most of the other advances of the last 20 years I can take or leave, but being able to watch a huge choice of sporting events from around the world is a major improvement in my view.

I agree totally. Take it with a pinch of salt mate, if you can afford a few luxuries why shouldn't you have them?

People on here seem to forget sometimes that money is actually for spending aswell as saving.

HOLA4419

then you would rent.

Like some 50s housewife.

ST

I think a flat screen is worth the investment if you live in a flat (rabbit hutch). I got a Samsung 32inch LCD, and it doubles as a second monitor for my other PC and the picture is great. I also bought an expensive wireless keyboard. Next buy is a robotic vacuum cleaner from iRobot (http://store.irobot.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=2804605)

HOLA4420
I think a flat screen is worth the investment if you live in a flat (rabbit hutch). I got a Samsung 32inch LCD, and it doubles as a second monitor for my other PC and the picture is great. I also bought an expensive wireless keyboard. Next buy is a robotic vacuum cleaner from iRobot (http://store.irobot.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=2804605)

Does the robotic vacuum cleaner do stairs?

HOLA4421

I speak as a bit of a gadget freak so I understand where you are coming from.

I own a few nice things laptops, digital cameras etc... But I am also logical about the

buying decisions I make.

If you look at the case of flat panel TV's the increase in cost is very high over standard boxes

while the increase in performance is very marginal.

I can even slightly understand the value of slightly showy items (I have a couple of decent watches)

provided they retain some value. But your TVs will have little re-sale worth and unless you are inviting

people into your bedroom to view them offer no "prestige value" either.

So you sit looking at your big flat TV thinking, "I have a big flat TV, how modern and wealthy I am"?

I just dont see the logic. :rolleyes:

ST

HOLA4422
No I think your right. Clearly they have no idea about life. Why buy a £28 quid kettle when you can buy a £5 one? Frankly i have had a brushed stainless kettle and never again. They really are shitty, they always look dirty, they smeer e.t.c. crappy.

£5. Plastic. Tesco. Does nicely.

Maybe I'm unlucky, the element in my £5 (chinese) kettle from Robert Dyas lasted a week.

Its currently running on the element from my old kettle :blink:

HOLA4423
If you look at the case of flat panel TV's the increase in cost is very high over standard boxes

while the increase in performance is very marginal

:blink:

Where've you been for the last 2 years?

You'd be lucky to find a CRT TV in the shops these days. There is no price differential anymore.

Edited by frozen_out

HOLA4424
:blink:

Where've you been for the last 2 years?

You'd be lucky to find a CRT TV in the shops these days. There is no price differential anymore.

I will check on the prices, its been a while since I was in the market (Standard boxes V. reliable)

I know you can get some cheapo brand lcd sets at a low price, but how long will they last?

ST

HOLA4425
I speak as a bit of a gadget freak so I understand where you are coming from.

I own a few nice things laptops, digital cameras etc... But I am also logical about the

buying decisions I make.

while the increase in performance is very marginal.

I can even slightly understand the value of slightly showy items (I have a couple of decent watches)

provided they retain some value. But your TVs will have little re-sale worth and unless you are inviting

people into your bedroom to view them offer no "prestige value" either.

So you sit looking at your big flat TV thinking, "I have a big flat TV, how modern and wealthy I am"?

I just dont see the logic. :rolleyes:

ST

Actually they look really good on the wall when you invite someone back, particularly of you have remembered to hook the video camera up before hand.

Edited by harris