House Price Crash Forum
Spikey1

Thursdays Rate ..up Or Down?

My limited economic knowledge tells me the banks already know something and by pushing LIBOR up they have opened the door for the BoE to raise by 0.25. Merv has already hinted at a further rise and might feel that its better to get it over and done with. Sod the Fed, thats what I say.

I know very little on this subject so feel free to shout me down :)

Ahh my favourite monthly thread.

I reckon a Hold. If the markets aren't too shakey the expected rise will come in Oct/Nov so the shoppers don't have a happy Christmas.

BTW anyone know what the odds are on Betfair?

Edited by headmelter

Ahh my favourite monthly thread.

I reckon a Hold. If the markets aren't too shakey the expected rise will come in Oct/Nov so the shoppers don't have a happy Christmas.

It's almost time for our annual thread proclaiming that people will have one last blow out on their credit cards at Xmas before reality bites in the new year. It's a heart warming HPC.co.uk tradition.

Guest Bart of Darkness

Hmmm.... good one.

Before all the bovver of the last few weeks, I might have been tempted to say "rise". Now (as with most months) I've voted for "hold".

If they do drop it (I assume in agreement with FED and ECB) - I'm turning gold-bug!

Aye, I think I'll finally crack if they cut rates.

Gordon will tell the independent bank of England to hold. They will comply but talk some big b0ll0cks pseudo-highbrow financial speak just to make a jolly good show of it. Blanchflower will ask for trans-atlantic expenses and a 1% rate cut. Given the hole in this month's agenda the BoE discussion will probably cut to Blanchflower's sex study and quiz him once again about his wife running off with a lesbian.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

BoE rates will not go down for a very long time, hold is the best bet. Guaranteed. ;)

+0.50 200/1

+0.25 30/1

No Change 1.02/1

-0.25 44/1

-0.50 350/1

Im betting on no change.... :rolleyes:

It's a nice safe bet but hedge with a quarter drop. Remember, if FTSE is down 10 points on the day and they'll probably panic.

Sod the Fed, thats what I say.

Well we re moving our troops out of Iraq [moving them to the airport today] - whilst Bush strengthens his positions. Looks like a ominous sign to the directions the US and the UK could be taking fiscally and geopolitically.

Well we re moving our troops out of Iraq [moving them to the airport today] - whilst Bush strengthens his positions. Looks like a ominous sign to the directions the US and the UK could be taking fiscally and geopolitically.

fly them back to help control the BTL crew.

I think the BoE should act in the interest of the pound. If that means pain for the US then tough. I doubt they'd give a stuff if we asked for help. What I think doesn't really matter though, its what the nose picker wants thats important.

Guest Bart of Darkness
the BoE discussion will probably cut to Blanchflower's sex study and quiz him once again about his wife running off with a lesbian.

Damn, I normally manage to work that into these BoE posts (must be slipping ;) ).

I look forward to seeing how Danny "I drove my wife into the arms of another woman and got taken to the cleaners in the divorce" Blanchflower votes this time around.

I guess after living with a tw@t like Blanchflower for a few years, it wasn't such a big leap to make.

Damn, I normally manage to work that into these BoE posts (must be slipping ;) ).

I look forward to seeing how Danny "I drove my wife into the arms of another woman and got taken to the cleaners in the divorce" Blanchflower votes this time around.

Sorry, the lesbian gag is yours for the taking next month.

Not sure if I'd divorce my wife if she has a lesbian liasion? This is probably just a lack of morals on my behalf and probably why I never got asked to work at the BoE.

BoE rates will not go down for a very long time, hold is the best bet. Guaranteed. ;)

The Guvnor was outvoted in August 2005 and we had the 2006 madness. Never underestimate the idiocy of crowds... :D

I'd say its a hold until they see what the yanks are doing, if the yanks cut rates enough to please their particular buddies on wall street then we will have little choice but to ultimatly cut, or its goodbye to trade with the USA, ie us selling to them with a devaluing dollar. Which is how we got in such a mess with HPI in the first place.

Guest Bart of Darkness
Sorry, the lesbian gag is yours for the taking next month.

Only if I remember in time.

The more Blachflower/lesbian cooments the better.