House Price Crash Forum

Offers In Region Of £1,400,000 - In Hackney!

HOLA441
you dont half talk some rubbish about hackney on these boards...

Personally, I've seen the area get worse over the years. My point being that the price of property in some of the areas in Hackney is well above what you would expect to pay and not very good value.

You choose:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-890...=1&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-168...=1&tr_t=buy

Now I know Woodford is Zone 4 and not Zone 2 like Hackney, but its the greenery, proximity of the tube and the allocated parking space that would sway it for me.

HOLA442
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-146...=1&tr_t=buy

.....when you can earn £93,000 pa risk free and free from maintenance costs by sticking £1.4M in the bank compared to the pawltry £40,000 yield buying this collection of crack dens. :lol:

I'm absolutely appalled with some of the prices for flats in Clapton, Hackney. This is the borough that is going to see the biggest falls over the next 3 or 4 years.

you get the dry cleaners too !

I wonder how many of those people who left UK last year were Asians who sold up and made a killing to go back home.

HOLA443
Personally, I've seen the area get worse over the years. My point being that the price of property in some of the areas in Hackney is well above what you would expect to pay and not very good value.

You choose:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-890...=1&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-168...=1&tr_t=buy

Now I know Woodford is Zone 4 and not Zone 2 like Hackney, but its the greenery, proximity of the tube and the allocated parking space that would sway it for me.

baaa, no ones buying those ex la flats, there shit everywhere, not just east london, it was the big victorian houses that were a bargin a couple of years ago, not anymore though unfortunatly

HOLA444
so you live in middlesex, in one of the most boring suburban hiterlands ive ever seen, only really accessable by car on one of the busiest roads in western europe, convienently located to the twin shitholes of finsbury park and woodgreen

my point being you can see what you want in an area, no where in london is really immune from the problems of being in a major capital, and no area is far away from another diprived area, but hackney just seems to get it all the time, like its divorced from the rest of london

a classic example is the bloke on this forum who cant work out why a house behind clapton ponds worth a fortune, its worth a fortune because its probably huge, with a basement, and a massive garden (some of them even have garages back there, in zone 2!) and is in the catchment area of two of the best primary schools in east london, families have been snapping them for years

:lol: Yes, very accurate. Thought we don't need to risk Finsbury Park or Wood Green too often, we have everything we need up in N10 you know, even our own branch of Whistles. :rolleyes:

I actually agree with you - I get irritated myself by some of the comments about London, so apologies for the throwaway Hackney comments. I've seen some comments where posters depict really quite lovely areas of London as urban hellholes.

I wouldn't really want a house behind Clapton Pond myself, but I know there are some gorgeous houses there, and at least the high murder rate keeps the prices relatively sane. It's murder mile, but I still took my baby for walks down to Springfield Park often enough when she was tiny. And I might even choose to live in Clapton before I chose to leave London... I'm just at a stage where suburban boredom appeals to me more than edgy urban stress, and you do get more of that in the worse bits of Hackney for sure.

For what it's worth, I'm not very fond of Tottenham either. Maybe we could both agree to slag Tottenham off instead. Or South London? <_<

HOLA445
baaa, no ones buying those ex la flats, there shit everywhere, not just east london, it was the big victorian houses that were a bargin a couple of years ago, not anymore though unfortunatly

An actual bargin or just a relative one as compared to today's prices?

There's quite a difference you see.

ST

HOLA446
Yes, technically it could be called Muswell Hill, though I feel it's really far enough out to deserve a different name, maybe it should be called Colney Hatch again (I believe both sides of the North Circular were called that once, but the widening of the road split the area up a bit plus people didn't like to be associated with the 'Nut Hatch', so the train station name was changed to New Southgate.)

It's about a 10-15 minute walk up to the Broadway. I've always liked the general area, lived in Archway when I first moved to London so was often up in Highgate and the woods and the heath and all that.

That's where I live at the moment. For those unfamiliar with the area it's been converted btw, I wasn't dragged there kicking & screaming.

Muswell Hill's great, but Highgate is rubbish, I was really disappointed. The high street is about 80% estate agents, 15% restaurants & cafes and 5% delicatessens & whole food stores, no real shops at all. Not looked around the heath etc.

HOLA447

A couple of years ago!!!??? Try eight or nine years ago and I'd agree with you.

HOLA448
That's where I live at the moment. For those unfamiliar with the area it's been converted btw, I wasn't dragged there kicking & screaming.

Muswell Hill's great, but Highgate is rubbish, I was really disappointed. The high street is about 80% estate agents, 15% restaurants & cafes and 5% delicatessens & whole food stores, no real shops at all. Not looked around the heath etc.

Highgate is basically a place to have a pint after a walk on the Heath or in the woods. Several nice pubs including my local. But yes, not much fun other than that. Muswell Hill is more practical use, though a bit short on decent pubs IMO.

If you've never been to the Heath, try the top end first. Start at Kenwood House and walk down as you get nice views and that's the wilder end. You can walk down from there through to Highgate or Hampstead and find a pub to finish up in. Or do a circuit and go back to the Spaniards.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
An actual bargin or just a relative one as compared to today's prices?

There's quite a difference you see.

ST

depends on your point of view i suppose, but you could get a nice period victorian house with a front garden and a back garden for 250 or there abouts, about 10mins or so from liverpool street on the train, seems cheap to me, the thing is murder mile was the key, its a thinh everyone trots out when you mention the area but it wasnt reall murder mile, it was murder club, some big horrible night club thing on the end of lower clapton road that attracted all the drug dealers for tottenham to haggerstan, it would open 2 months later some one would get shot, it would close, 2 month later open again... you get the idea, the council closed it for good a couple of years ago and hey presto no more murders, thats when all the families priced out of stokenewington and london fields started piling into the area and picking up the big period homes next to the good schools

im not having a pop at anyone here, but the knee jerk reactions and repaeating of stuff from the daily mail or that knobend kisty and phil say as the gospal truth gets on my nerves

HOLA4411
Are you renting in it?

Nope, I bought there. Rents in the block actually seem pretty steep compared to asking prices (at least by present market standards), I think because it's a self contained community with good links to the city it's an ideal place for corporate lets for people unfamiliar with London.

HOLA4412
Highgate is basically a place to have a pint after a walk on the Heath or in the woods. Several nice pubs including my local. But yes, not much fun other than that. Muswell Hill is more practical use, though a bit short on decent pubs IMO.

If you've never been to the Heath, try the top end first. Start at Kenwood House and walk down as you get nice views and that's the wilder end. You can walk down from there through to Highgate or Hampstead and find a pub to finish up in. Or do a circuit and go back to the Spaniards.

Probably more of an overspill from Hampstead as well I guess, it's certainly pretty close.

I'm looking forward to exploring the area properly, I've been SE London for so long I'm not really familiar with NOrth london any more.

HOLA4413
so you live in middlesex, in one of the most boring suburban hiterlands ive ever seen, only really accessable by car on one of the busiest roads in western europe, convienently located to the twin shitholes of finsbury park and woodgreen

my point being you can see what you want in an area, no where in london is really immune from the problems of being in a major capital, and no area is far away from another diprived area, but hackney just seems to get it all the time, like its divorced from the rest of london

I think what gets my goat is the way some upper-middle class types have the mentality of 'we travel first or third class, but never second' (to quote Noel Coward) and prefer to live in Hackney because it's 'gritty and urban and just so, well, REAL, darling' rather than perfectly decent, respectable but slightly dull places like the Middlesex suburbs. It's a particularly annoying turn in the labrynth of British class snobbery....

I agree Hackney gets it in the neck rather a lot. But then so do the residents... :lol:

HOLA4414
:lol: Yes, very accurate. Thought we don't need to risk Finsbury Park or Wood Green too often, we have everything we need up in N10 you know, even our own branch of Whistles. :rolleyes:

I actually agree with you - I get irritated myself by some of the comments about London, so apologies for the throwaway Hackney comments. I've seen some comments where posters depict really quite lovely areas of London as urban hellholes.

I wouldn't really want a house behind Clapton Pond myself, but I know there are some gorgeous houses there, and at least the high murder rate keeps the prices relatively sane. It's murder mile, but I still took my baby for walks down to Springfield Park often enough when she was tiny. And I might even choose to live in Clapton before I chose to leave London... I'm just at a stage where suburban boredom appeals to me more than edgy urban stress, and you do get more of that in the worse bits of Hackney for sure.

For what it's worth, I'm not very fond of Tottenham either. Maybe we could both agree to slag Tottenham off instead. Or South London? <_<

cant hate tottenham im afraid, home of the mighty spurs, practically holy land... tell you one thing ive noticed though, its amazing how similar all the established nice areas are looking these days, same chains of shops and pubs, especially the ones trying to pretend there not chains and on friday and saturday night how towny they are all getting, angel is a perfect example, if you squint you could be anywhere really they dont feel very londony at all, maybe it just me though

HOLA4415
cant hate tottenham im afraid, home of the mighty spurs, practically holy land...

I'm a Spurs fan too but had the misfortune to actually rent a place in South Tottenham when I was student, it was just off Phillip Lane. That was the worst place I've ever lived. If it wasn't the call to Mecca at 6am from the mosque at the end of the road it was the Gypsy camp with their vicious dogs that was located next to the mosque. Oh yeah, and the rats that used to scuttle past you in the street - I kid you not! Funny how the entire area was a controlled parking zone except for outside the Gypsy camp. Not content with providing the Gypos with a brand spanking new 'camp' the people's republic of Haringey decided that everyone should pay for parking ouside their houses except for the Gypsies. Talk about reverse discrimination!

I love the Spurs, but Tottenham is grade A sh*thole.

HOLA4416
I'm a Spurs fan too but had the misfortune to actually rent a place in South Tottenham when I was student, it was just off Phillip Lane. That was the worst place I've ever lived. If it wasn't the call to Mecca at 6am from the mosque at the end of the road it was the Gypsy camp with their vicious dogs that was located next to the mosque. Oh yeah, and the rats that used to scuttle past you in the street - I kid you not! Funny how the entire area was a controlled parking zone except for outside the Gypsy camp. Not content with providing the Gypos with a brand spanking new 'camp' the people's republic of Haringey decided that everyone should pay for parking ouside their houses except for the Gypsies. Talk about reverse discrimination!

I love the Spurs, but Tottenham is grade A sh*thole.

any of the gypsies look like they could defend a two goal lead?, just an idea

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
cant hate tottenham im afraid, home of the mighty spurs, practically holy land... tell you one thing ive noticed though, its amazing how similar all the established nice areas are looking these days, same chains of shops and pubs, especially the ones trying to pretend there not chains and on friday and saturday night how towny they are all getting, angel is a perfect example, if you squint you could be anywhere really they dont feel very londony at all, maybe it just me though

Ah, yes. It's enemy territory for me as I'm on the other side of the North London derby. As well as being a shithole.

Know what you mean about Angel, I don't it like it these days for the same reason. You might as well be in some provincial town. I think it went to the dogs when the last few second hand book and clothes-shops closed. All the pubs are vile these days too, too full of idiots.

HOLA4419
Ah, yes. It's enemy territory for me as I'm on the other side of the North London derby. As well as being a shithole.

Know what you mean about Angel, I don't it like it these days for the same reason. You might as well be in some provincial town. I think it went to the dogs when the last few second hand book and clothes-shops closed. All the pubs are vile these days too, too full of idiots.

so just to recap where we are up to, hackneys ace, nw10 is boring, arsenal based in a souless area, tottenhams push for forth spot will be aided by footballing gypsies, possibley already is being in berbatov case, and gooners who hang round in angel are vile... glad we got this sorted out

on a serious point, ive got a question for people who think about houses such as on these boards, ive just got back from hols and my question is why is cornwall so expensive to buy a house/land in and brittiany/bretton so cheap, i havnt got an answer, was just wondering if anyone had a logical explination