House Price Crash Forum

Offers In Region Of £1,400,000 - In Hackney!

HOLA441

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-146...=1&tr_t=buy

.....when you can earn £93,000 pa risk free and free from maintenance costs by sticking £1.4M in the bank compared to the pawltry £40,000 yield buying this collection of crack dens. :lol:

I'm absolutely appalled with some of the prices for flats in Clapton, Hackney. This is the borough that is going to see the biggest falls over the next 3 or 4 years.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I have a friend that lives just off of clapton pond...right in the heart of murder mile. Last time I was down there had been a semi-automatic gundown not 15 metres from his front door. He has a very nice and large terraced 4 bed house. The area itself though is truly awful. His house is currently worth around 600,000 pounds.

You know things are silly when people are being murdered not 15 metres away and your house is worth 600,000.

HOLA444

You don't understand. It's up and coming, vibrant, cosmopolitan, edgy, etc. It's got street cred, a gritty vibe, colourful characters and a real sense of community. It's part of the success story of the modern urban multicultural UK. Wanting to live in a so-called 'respectable' area is just another form of racism. And anyway, criminals are the real victims - society made them that way and it's because of poverty.

Anyone who doesn't believe this is just a middle class snob who probably votes Tory who should be living in a semi in NW79.

:lol::(

Edited by Austin Allegro

HOLA445
You know things are silly when people are being murdered not 15 metres away and your house is worth 600,000.

The Bank has to pay me £600K to live in Hackney :lol: a friend of mine, who is a freelance IT technician, had to work in Hackney last year and I remember him saying that he was advised to use firm's underground parking facility for his motorcycle because of the crimes in the area.

Eager to Sell

I would be too if my property was overvalued, probably, by £1m!

HOLA446

I dont really understand why homes in this places are as expensive as much nicer places. Unless its because the buyers think that they'll double in value.

A flat in Hackney costs about the same as one in Greenwich now. I know where I'd rather live.

A friend of mine bought in Stratford 5 years ago. His flat (which is grim) is now worth about twice what he paid for it (apparently). The area is depressing, which is being nice about it. Hes still had to live there for years, in an area where hoodies break into the communal hall to smoke dope and the police dont turn out to remove them, and the tube station was designated a dispersal zone to stop the gangs hanging around outside.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
Nit picking I know but Del Boy and Rodders were South London boys... ;)

http://www.workersliberty.org/haringeyhackney?from=60

From
Del-Boy Trotter's flat in Nelson Mandela House to the CLR James library here in Hackney
, you would like to think that if a public building carried a person's name, it was a tribute to some contribution they had made to humanity.

Wasn't Del a resident of Nelson Mandela House in Hackney?

Edit: No--Peckham. Central.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Only_Fools_and_Horses

Set in the inner city
London district of Peckham
, it starred David Jason as ambitious market trader Derek "Del Boy" Trotter, Nicholas Lyndhurst as his younger brother Rodney, and Lennard Pearce as their aging grandfather (later replaced by Buster Merryfield as their Uncle Albert). Backed by a strong supporting cast, it chronicled their highs and lows in life, particularly their attempts to get rich.

Flats there are probably under 1 million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peckham

Peckham is an area of London, England, in the London Borough of Southwark, located 3.5 miles (5.7 km) south-east of Charing Cross, about one mile (1.6 km) east of Camberwell and one mile (1.6 km) west of New Cross.
Peckham has never been an administrative district, or a single ecclesiastical parish in its own right, but it developed a strong sense of identity in the 19th century when Rye Lane was one of the most important shopping streets in south London.
The area known as Peckham covers a large geographic area of South London and takes in many diverse communities. A traditional London working class community now coexists with communities that have their origins in Bangladesh, the Caribbean, China, India, Ireland, Nigeria, Pakistan, Turkey and Vietnam. As well as these communities there has been a steady gentrification of some of the areas to the south of Peckham and this has meant an influx of cafés, wine bars, niche shops and artists' studios.
A few highly publicised crimes have tarnished the area's reputation. The area's association with the infamous Trotter family has also depressed house prices which have never achieved the soaring heights as Hackney where a bouyant market and vibrant buy-to-let demand has propelled quite ordinary residences to over 1 million....

;)

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Is Hackney still there ?, I thought they bulldozed it years ago. :unsure:

If only.

A big chunk of Hackney Wick is gone, which makes a small contribution to improving the area, but the rest of it is still there and just as desolate and psychotic as ever.

HOLA4414
You don't understand. It's up and coming, vibrant, cosmopolitan, edgy, etc. It's got street cred, a gritty vibe, colourful characters and a real sense of community. It's part of the success story of the modern urban multicultural UK. Wanting to live in a so-called 'respectable' area is just another form of racism. And anyway, criminals are the real victims - society made them that way and it's because of poverty.

Anyone who doesn't believe this is just a middle class snob who probably votes Tory who should be living in a semi in NW79.

:lol::(

As I told an EA driving me to Brixton after asking to look at places to rent in Clapham.

"Mate, turn this car round I'm not f*cking interested in Stabby Chic"

ST

HOLA4415
As I told an EA driving me to Brixton after asking to look at places to rent in Clapham.

"Mate, turn this car round I'm not f*cking interested in Stabby Chic"

ST

:lol:

Hackney is a complete sh*thole, I don't know why anyone would want to live there. Besides all the hoodies and gun/knife crime there's no tube. Hackney has been 'up and coming' for 25 years and it's still the same depressing craphole it always was, in fact, it’s probably got worse.

People think that the Islington Cafe culture is suddenly going to spread East because house prices have gone crazy and many of the potential Islingtonites have had to settle for Hackney. What people forget is that there's a reason places like Islington became gentrified, for starters it's actually a really pretty area of London with a real village type feel in some areas, and there’s a critical mass of nice areas surrounding Upper St with only the odd council estate here and there. Plus there's about four tube stations serving the area. Compare that to Hackney where the area just looks rough, and although some of the houses are nice they're outnumbered 3 to 1 by massive sprawling council estates - and there's no tube. Hackney will always be a rough area unless they bulldoze the sprawling council estates and take all the hoodies with them.

There are some semi-ok areas of North East London like, Hornsey, Crouch End and Alexandra Palace. Even Turnpike Lane and Wood green have tube stations, good transport links and a fairly decent High St. I'd choose any of those areas over Hackney and they’re no more expensive.

Edited by dazed&confused

HOLA4416
There are some semi-ok areas of North East London like, Hornsey, Crouch End and Alexandra Palace. Even Turnpike Lane and Wood green have tube stations, good transport links and a fairly decent High St. I'd choose any of those areas over Hackney and they’re no more expensive.

Yes, it's simply hilarious how overpriced Hackney has become. It says to me that the buyers pushing prices up there are twenty-somethings who seriously over-rate 'gritty urban' areas and proximity to the centre (for all Hackney's transport problems, it is handy for the city). Also that the myth of up-and-coming areas has led people to seriously overprice 'down-and-out' areas like Hackney. It might be gentrified in another century or so, but for the rest of this one I doubt it's going to get much better.

HOLA4417

you dont half talk some rubbish about hackney on these boards...

stokenewington is in hackney, victoria park is in hackney, london fields is in hackney, bits of shorditch are in hackney, hackney joins on to angel so roads likw southwold road are hackney. you cant honestly say these places are rough, there as nice as any bits of london, urban yes but its a big place hackney you shouldnt mix up a few estates with the whole area

plus, magpie, would you mind tellng me what area of north london your in that escapes all the problems of urban london, primrose hill possibly? hampsted? angel?

HOLA4418
you dont half talk some rubbish about hackney on these boards...

stokenewington is in hackney, victoria park is in hackney, london fields is in hackney, bits of shorditch are in hackney, hackney joins on to angel so roads likw southwold road are hackney. you cant honestly say these places are rough, there as nice as any bits of london, urban yes but its a big place hackney you shouldnt mix up a few estates with the whole area

plus, magpie, would you mind tellng me what area of north london your in that escapes all the problems of urban london, primrose hill possibly? hampsted? angel?

Actually I lived many years in Stoke Newington, until early 2006, so I'm talking from direct knowledge. Quite fond of N16 still though it's getting ruined by Islington wannabes (eg city boys and girls in 4x4s flashing their money)... but I'm really not one of those kneejerk London haters who think any 'urban area' is unliveable. Just a bit allergic to Hackney.

When slagging Hackney off I really meant central Hackney and the less nice bits like Homerton, Clapton, Haggerston, what's left of Hackney Wick, the bad side of De Beauvoir etc. I know some nice people there still but I really hate the atmosphere, so aggressive and hassly. The bits you mention are all OK but I wouldn't want to live there really. They tend to be small pockets of niceness surrounded by grim stuff. Of course in the worst places one can still find some good communities and decent people, and I've nothing against anyone who chooses to rent there or who has always lived there. I just find it silly when people pay huge amounts of money to buy in Hackney, imagining that it will magically turn into Islington.

Primrose Hill is a bit beyond my means. :lol: I live at the cheap end of N10, not too far from the North Circular. It's a pleasant area in terms of atmosphere. I have a school-age daughter and the schools are a bit better, plus my belief is that when the market is overpriced relatively decent areas are a better gamble than 'up and coming' so I chose my area based on that and on buying somewhere I could bear to live for ten years or more if need be. For a twenty-something it would probably seem very suburban and a bit remote for public transport, but for me with a young family it is hugely preferable to Hackney (even the 'nice Hackney' bit I was in in N16).

HOLA4419
Primrose Hill is a bit beyond my means. :lol: I live at the cheap end of N10, not too far from the North Circular. It's a pleasant area in terms of atmosphere. I have a school-age daughter and the schools are a bit better, plus my belief is that when the market is overpriced relatively decent areas are a better gamble than 'up and coming' so I chose my area based on that and on buying somewhere I could bear to live for ten years or more if need be. For a twenty-something it would probably seem very suburban and a bit remote for public transport, but for me with a young family it is hugely preferable to Hackney (even the 'nice Hackney' bit I was in in N16).

Not a bad area, you're close to muswell hill too. I'm just up the road in new Southgate, so much nicer than Hackney.

Hackney's a lot closer though, easy cabbing distance home but then you'd want to get a cab late at night because walking would be a bit unnerving. Some of Hackney may be nice but what I've seen is seriously grim.

HOLA4420
Guest Charlie The Tramp
Not a bad area, you're close to muswell hill too. I'm just up the road in new Southgate, so much nicer than Hackney.

Good old Southgate a very up market area in the 1960s. I did a lot of work there in the 80s and it seemed to have lost its gloss then.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

so you live in middlesex, in one of the most boring suburban hiterlands ive ever seen, only really accessable by car on one of the busiest roads in western europe, convienently located to the twin shitholes of finsbury park and woodgreen

my point being you can see what you want in an area, no where in london is really immune from the problems of being in a major capital, and no area is far away from another diprived area, but hackney just seems to get it all the time, like its divorced from the rest of london

a classic example is the bloke on this forum who cant work out why a house behind clapton ponds worth a fortune, its worth a fortune because its probably huge, with a basement, and a massive garden (some of them even have garages back there, in zone 2!) and is in the catchment area of two of the best primary schools in east london, families have been snapping them for years

HOLA4424
Guest Charlie The Tramp
New southgate not southgate ;)

Sorry forgot to type the New bit.

The residents all appeared to be Telegraph and Times Readers in the 1960s on their way up in the world or so they thought. :rolleyes:

HOLA4425

Hackney's a lot closer though, easy cabbing distance home but then you'd want to get a cab late at night because walking would be a bit unnerving. Some of Hackney may be nice but what I've seen is seriously grim.

Yes, technically it could be called Muswell Hill, though I feel it's really far enough out to deserve a different name, maybe it should be called Colney Hatch again (I believe both sides of the North Circular were called that once, but the widening of the road split the area up a bit plus people didn't like to be associated with the 'Nut Hatch', so the train station name was changed to New Southgate.)

It's about a 10-15 minute walk up to the Broadway. I've always liked the general area, lived in Archway when I first moved to London so was often up in Highgate and the woods and the heath and all that.