House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest vicmac64

How Many High Street Chains Will Go To The Wall?

Guest vicmac64

I wonder, just how the financial model that many of these high street chains that depend on selling credit will collapse as a consequence of a coming tsunami recession?? I'm thinking of the high profile 'furniture chains in particular'... could this be the coup de grace to many of our chain businesses?

I wonder, just how the financial model that many of these high street chains that depend on selling credit will collapse as a consequence of a coming tsunami recession?? I'm thinking of the high profile 'furniture chains in particular'... could this be the coup de grace to many of our chain businesses?

none of the main high-street ones (except maybe Woollies) - minor funiture ones come and go all the time, even during the boom - a cut back on stores is a distinct possibility though

In a recession, people cut back on going out, eating and drinking out. I for one will be the first one to jump for joy when Starbucks/Costa Coffee/Cafe Nero etc go bust!!!! I can't stand all these bloody coffee snobs round London. :angry: :lol:

none of the main high-street ones (except maybe Woollies) - minor funiture ones come and go all the time, even during the boom - a cut back on stores is a distinct possibility though

What about the pirate equity victims that are out there? Aren't they overloaded with debt and will go bust anytime soon in this environment of rising rates.

The last few saturday afternoons in my local B&Q warehouse, PC world, and Currys have seen customer levels at the lowest I have ever seen. I am talking just a handful of people browsing in each store. No one at the checkout buying. God knows what the overheads are for these stores. Perhaps they just rely on the run up to christmas to make a profit.

Ok these are not high street chains...but fake nail parlours and tramp stamp tattoo parlours must surely take a hit. "Hmmm, eat or have a sign pointing at my ar$e saying '*&^K here'...or should I go on the game...?"

Edited by ulster_exile

Perhaps they just rely on the run up to christmas to make a profit.

I think that's when we're going to see the fun start. The first sign of trouble will be big sales before Christmas, students home for the vac not being able to get jobs because the superstores aren't that busy and aren't hiring, etc. etc.

I'd be surprised if we'll see whole chains go to the wall, but there'll certainly be branch closures and reductions in staffing levels in the ones which remain open.

What about the pirate equity victims that are out there? Aren't they overloaded with debt and will go bust anytime soon in this environment of rising rates.

The businesses they "rescued" will. I suspect the "pirate equity" guys already have their swag stashed in a safe place. I'm sure all the best lawyers and accountants, the City of London could spare, assisted in the robbery!

The businesses they "rescued" will. I suspect the "pirate equity" guys already have their swag stashed in a safe place. I'm sure all the best lawyers and accountants, the City of London could spare, assisted in the robbery!

Just like Rover then...

Just like Rover then...

You mean the robbery of Rover by Phoenix? Yup that was quite a good robbery, as robbery goes (allegedly) :lol:

I really, really hope so. As someone who saves and pays in cash, I'm hacked off with funding those who buy everything on credit. I get no discount for cash (indeed paying cash seems to be actively discouraged) and let's not forget that baks take about 2.5% fee from the retailer on each credit card transaction, so they include it in the retail price. In effect, I'm subsidising those bastards! Cannot wait for a return to "cash is king".

Guest vicmac64
I really, really hope so. As someone who saves and pays in cash, I'm hacked off with funding those who buy everything on credit. I get no discount for cash (indeed paying cash seems to be actively discouraged) and let's not forget that baks take about 2.5% fee from the retailer on each credit card transaction, so they include it in the retail price. In effect, I'm subsidising those bastards! Cannot wait for a return to "cash is king".

Yeah I'm with you on that! Maybe we'll get the local entrepreneurs starting up again.

I wonder how Manchester Utd will get on with 750million of debt. Surely the interest rate on the debt went up 1% in the last few weeks.

Business as usual. Nothing to see here. Move along now. ;)

It's in the BBC News. They've denied it. It must be true. (IYSWIM)

The last few saturday afternoons in my local B&Q warehouse, PC world, and Currys have seen customer levels at the lowest I have ever seen. I am talking just a handful of people browsing in each store. No one at the checkout buying. God knows what the overheads are for these stores. Perhaps they just rely on the run up to christmas to make a profit.

Al, when these stores were built the immediate hype surrounding these 'new' stores can to a quick and sudden end. The first few weekends saw lots of interested people but again not many people buying. These stores now rarely see any more than a dozen cars parked in the communial car park even at weekends.

I knew once the stores were announced that they would flop.

Can anyone tell me why these shops have 30 foot+ ceilings yet nothing is above 6 or 7 feet up? I can see the carbon footprint for heating alone is excessive.

Having worked in retail many Eons ago, I seem to remember the balmy days of summer being very quiet & un-eventfull, perhaps peaks around Bank Holidays with the exceptopn of August, but certainly a huge amount of business done around the Christmas / Jan Sale period. The Store I worked out used to Turn £1,500,000+ per week in the weeks up to Christmas. I would probably guess somewhere between £100,000 - £200,000 in the Summer Lull....I cant see that store going bust, but I would be more fearfull for all those small luxuary goods stores that seem to have popped up everywhere, Im sure many will have been finnanced by MEWWING for the pleasure of the bored housewife....a double whammy for many, I think..... :blink: