House Price Crash Forum

Anyone Know About Climbing Plants?

nerble

HOLA441

Not wanting to be unkind, so won't give location, but these two pictures came up on a well known property search engine for the same house on with two agents, looks like it has been on sale for some time.

Can anyone with a knowledge of climbing plants comment?

before.jpgafter.jpg

I used to live in a country with 5 months snow per year, often you would glance through estate agent windows in late summer and see photos with 6ft snow in them. Given that we are talking about the biggest assets that most people will ever own/ buy, it's astonishing that the agents involved don't go that extra mile to update a few photos when they are obviously out of date; I mean, 1.5% commission on asking price here would be £6,000.

Any other light-hearted examples of out-of-date might be fun for a quiet Sunday - but please, no cruelty.

post-9755-1188679489_thumb.jpg

post-9755-1188679508_thumb.jpg

HOLA442
HOLA443

I once worked with an ex army bloke who could tell by just looking at a photograph of a street scene the approximate time of year, longitude and latitude it was taken. He was not your average squaddie thats for sure.

I have a feeling that the Wisteria in the left hand photo is a Spring shot before the news shoots have come out and the other is a obviously a summer shot. I lived in a house with such a plant for many years and in the winter it always looked like it was dead.

Other good signs are of course buds and leaves and flowers on trees. However, even when trees have no leaves it is usually fairly easy to work out if it is Autumn, Winter or early Spring. The tips of branches gradually turn upwards when cold weather approaches to stop ice forming on the end where the buds are. As Spring approaches the tips turn down as the sap begins to rise up the trunk.

HOLA444

OK, I'm with you on that - assuming that we're talking the same year, the pic with the Wisteria (?) in bloom has a hanging basket, which isn't there in the other one, so maybe that was later on that year.

After your comments about the Squaddie I was hoping to dazzle you by identifying a crop in the background or migrating bird on a roof, but it wasn't to be. Either way, nobody bothered to remove the weeds at the front of the house - what on earth would Phil and Krusty say? :unsure:

HOLA445
OK, I'm with you on that - assuming that we're talking the same year, the pic with the Wisteria (?) in bloom has a hanging basket, which isn't there in the other one, so maybe that was later on that year.

After your comments about the Squaddie I was hoping to dazzle you by identifying a crop in the background or migrating bird on a roof, but it wasn't to be. Either way, nobody bothered to remove the weeds at the front of the house - what on earth would Phil and Krusty say? :unsure:

I'm betting that these two photos were taken 13 weeks apart. The second photo is obviously taken during the summer, if you look carefully the chimney stack which was previously on the house next door has moved onto the B&B, and as we all know chimneys only migrate for the summer.

• 6 months later...
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
I once worked with an ex army bloke who could tell by just looking at a photograph of a street scene the approximate time of year, longitude and latitude it was taken. He was not your average squaddie thats for sure.

I worked with the other type once. We had a meeting in an office on Farringdon Road (long road, runs mainly north-south) at 08.30am on a sunny August morning. I got a phone call from him asking where it was in relation to the tube station.

"North, mate".

"Which way's that then?"

"Look up in the sky, can you see a big yellow thing?"

"Yes, why?"

"It rises in the east. That's a clue".

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Given that the satellite dish points south, I’m sure that some nautical anorak could work out the time of year based on the suns inclination with respect to the latitude range where Wisteria will grow on an eastern wall.

Go on Cptn Pugwash, you know you want to.

...and, is that an oil stain on the ground at the south east corner of the house on the bush in bloom picture (not on the dead bush photo)– if so this was the latest photo.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

One photo (the earlier one) is a winter pic, the other is a late summer pic (bleached grass on wall). If that's a Wisteria, it has made awsome growth for one year, at least three feet in all directions. Also, what is that dense tree in the summer pic between the house on the left and the B&B? That seems to have grown several feet too, I can't see any evidence of branches up around the eaves in photo1. I guess this might be 18 months apart.

Is there a prize?

• 1 month later...
HOLA4414

Another example of time on market clearly given away by the photos in adverts, this time from a street around the corner from my old place (you can see not in the UK).

On with one agent:

one.jpg

And another:

two.jpg

In the country concerned, estate agents will earn a lot of money in commission from a sale of this place (more than 1 month's salary), yet it is not worth driving 5 km from town to take a new photo and freshen up the advert a little.

By the way, the house from the original post is still there, with a new agent, looking like this:

three.JPG

Not related to my point here (the general lack of attention from estate agents), but even after the crash of sterling, you can buy the nice place in the snow for less than the one with the limp wisteria - last summer you could have also bought a Range Rover as well.

post-9755-1208026757_thumb.jpg

post-9755-1208026784_thumb.jpg

post-9755-1208026878_thumb.jpg

HOLA4415
I worked with the other type once. We had a meeting in an office on Farringdon Road (long road, runs mainly north-south) at 08.30am on a sunny August morning. I got a phone call from him asking where it was in relation to the tube station.

"North, mate".

"Which way's that then?"

"Look up in the sky, can you see a big yellow thing?"

"Yes, why?"

"It rises in the east. That's a clue".

This is a sex thing (male/female I mean)

Men get compasses, women don't. My wife only today asked me

"Is the Park and Ride to the right of Oxford then?"

Me: "Eh?"

W: "Er, I mean, you know, on a map"

Me: "Ah, do you mean East"

W: Er, maybe...

:blink::blink: