House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Wales: " Houses Up 115% - Wages10% "

http://www.newswales.co.uk/?section=Commun...=1&id=12437

Houses up 115% - wages10%
31/8/2007
House prices in Swansea increased 115 per cent between 2001 and 2006 but average income increased only by 10 per cent.
This is one of the problems Swansea Council has faced in its new local housing strategy just approved by Cabinet.

I think a few more people just woke up to the fact that they are standing on thin air between two very very tall cliffs.

The local council is right though, it is a "problem." :o

http://www.newswales.co.uk/?section=Commun...=1&id=12437
Houses up 115% - wages10%
31/8/2007
House prices in Swansea increased 115 per cent between 2001 and 2006 but average income increased only by 10 per cent.
This is one of the problems Swansea Council has faced in its new local housing strategy just approved by Cabinet.

I think a few more people just woke up to the fact that they are standing on thin air between two very very tall cliffs.

The local council is right though, it is a "problem." :o

Hurray! I foresee untold acres of cheap timber "temporary" kit houses on breezeblock plinths, with plastics services and CHP, strewn across the landscape. Government authorise their "temporary" establishment on parks, greenbelt, industrial wasteland and set-aside land. And the seaside, if necessary. All rented from Local Authority, at ridiculously low rents that even panel-mongers can pay out of their basic burroo.

[edit] oh, and housing costs go into the CPI bucket. A miracle indeed.

Edited by Wario

"Panel-mongers"?

oopsy. Must be showing my age. It's a heritage expression of, I believe, Brummy origin, referring to those "on the Panel" ie probably totally dependent on "the Social". Sorry about that. And "burroo" is a Scoto-Irishism for "bureau", same deal. God I sometimes forget what a provincial I am.

oopsy. Must be showing my age. It's a heritage expression of, I believe, Brummy origin, referring to those "on the Panel" ie probably totally dependent on "the Social". Sorry about that. And "burroo" is a Scoto-Irishism for "bureau", same deal. God I sometimes forget what a provincial I am.

I too am provincial. I know what the burroo is but I've never heard of panel-mongers before. Surprisingly, neither has Google: the most plausible thing it came up with was "Perl-mongers", but that didn't quite seem to be what you had in mind.

oopsy. Must be showing my age. It's a heritage expression of, I believe, Brummy origin, referring to those "on the Panel" ie probably totally dependent on "the Social".

I can confirm that "on the panel" was an old brummie saying meaning on the sick. I think it originated from the Birmingham Saturday Fund which was paid into on a weekly basis. A panel used to meet regularly to determine sickness payment levels. I think you paid sixpence a week and got ten shillings a week if you were off work due to injury or sickness . Mongering was a brummie word for moaning I think . My mother used to tell me to stop mongering but I never knew what it meant in all honesty which is why I kept getting clipped around the ear I suppose.