House Price Crash Forum
simonp

Broonian Exodus

Im fed up living in a country where I can not afford a house or even a bloody holiday because I dont earn 100K PA :angry: Im sure Broon's false economy will come undone and it will be the end of Golden Gorden and of HPI, but I really dislike the direction this country is going.

So I'm looking to move abroad - the problem is where? Ideas please? Someplace that rewards hard work and decent values :(

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Im fed up living in a country where I can not afford a house or even a bloody holiday because I dont earn 100K PA :angry: Im sure Broon's false economy will come undone and it will be the end of Golden Gorden and of HPI, but I really dislike the direction this country is going.

So I'm looking to move abroad - the problem is where? Ideas please? Someplace that rewards hard work and decent values :(

Venezuela

Well Mars really is your only choice. Bit chilly though.

Its a global problem. Wages in the west will drop to meet Eastern expectations. Welcome to the global economy. Sure you might fare better in Canada and Australia in the short term but its only delaying the inevitable.

/quote]

I quite agree. Everything is such a financial struggle and has been for me for years.

feefifofum

Guest anorthosite

An independent Scotland in a few years? Not sure the Scots would have Brown back - they hate him as much as the English do.

You need to do a lot of research before making such a life changing decision as people often make the classic mistake of thinking that living abroad is like being on holiday which it won´t be. I'm now living in my fourth country outside the UK (although this one is for pleasure), and I can honestly say every single one has had it's problems.

Here are some things you may want to consider before taking the plunge.

1. What countries can you find positive reasons for moving to, not just reasons to escape the UK.

2. Will you need to learn a new language? It's better in my experience to do this in advance as any good teacher will be able to give you cultural experiences especially if he/she is native.

3. Will you be able to find a job in that country? Will you be able to make a good enough living doing it?

4. Where will you live? Do you want to buy or rent? What are the procedures involved?

5. What about health and social security? Will you be covered for illness or unemployment?

6. Do you have any personal ties which will drag on conscience? Will you want to return home frequently?

7. Do you have a strong enough personality to be able to live on your own until you can integrate with the local population?

8. Are there any political or religeous considerations you need to take in to account?

That's all I can think of at the moment - other expats may wish to add more.

You need to do a lot of research before making such a life changing decision as people often make the classic mistake of thinking that living abroad is like being on holiday which it won´t be. I'm now living in my fourth country outside the UK (although this one is for pleasure), and I can honestly say every single one has had it's problems.

Here are some things you may want to consider before taking the plunge.

1. What countries can you find positive reasons for moving to, not just reasons to escape the UK.

2. Will you need to learn a new language? It's better in my experience to do this in advance as any good teacher will be able to give you cultural experiences especially if he/she is native.

3. Will you be able to find a job in that country? Will you be able to make a good enough living doing it?

4. Where will you live? Do you want to buy or rent? What are the procedures involved?

5. What about health and social security? Will you be covered for illness or unemployment?

6. Do you have any personal ties which will drag on conscience? Will you want to return home frequently?

7. Do you have a strong enough personality to be able to live on your own until you can integrate with the local population?

8. Are there any political or religeous considerations you need to take in to account?

That's all I can think of at the moment - other expats may wish to add more.

Would you sahre with us where you have lived and why you left these places?

Its all very interesting to hear such tales!

Would you sahre with us where you have lived and why you left these places?

Its all very interesting to hear such tales!

I don´t see why not as long as people don't view it as me showing off!

1, Israel (on a kibbutz), 1984, 5 months, aged 21, finished studying and didn't really know what to do, but I learnt more about life in these few months than ever I did studying! Came back to earn some money.

2, Austria (IT contract), 1993-4, 6months, aged 30, thought I'd be skiing every weekend, but unfortunately didn't turn out quite as expected! Came back as I didn't wish to renew the contract.

3, Paris, France(Secondment) 2001, 9 months, aged 38, again the visions of sitting in cafes overlooking the Seine all day weren't forthcoming! Came back due to 'a different view of working procedures' :P

4,Spain(Semi retirement), 2006 - present, aged 44, fortunately and prudently saved enough cash (by missing out on the marriage,children,divorce route of many friends) to enjoy the fruits of my past endeavours. No near term plans to return to the UK.

There you go. Anyone who recognises me from that lot can PM me! :rolleyes:

So you're retired at 44? Wow.

What was the "different view of working procedures" referred to in France?

Also everyone in my office is saying how people in the rest of Europe work less hard than in Britain but I'm struggling to believe that it really is so utopian everywhere else. What would you say?

Thanks

So you're retired at 44? Wow.

What was the "different view of working procedures" referred to in France?

Also everyone in my office is saying how people in the rest of Europe work less hard than in Britain but I'm struggling to believe that it really is so utopian everywhere else. What would you say?

Thanks

Semi-retired please - I'm not completely free!

With regard to the work situation, the Europeans may have worked less hard in the past but that's certainly not the case now especially with multinational companies.

In my case, the 'different view of working procedures' basically boiled down to a difference in the educational format. In Britain, at least when I went to school, my education was for the most part deductive. That is to say you were taught to analyse things yourself and question/prove your results. In France, the educational format is inductive. That is to say, the teacher tells you what is correct and you don't question it!

Unfortunately, I have never really liked being told what to do, especially when it's clearly wrong. Hence my decision to resign from this particular company and preferring to be self employed. (This decision obviously could not have been taken with a wife,mortgage and kids to support). Also, although this scenario is not just the case in France, people did seem to hang around late in the office without actually doing anything except for surfing the net! Again I'm not one for hanging around for appearance sake, so I was frowned upon for disappearing, even though my work was on schedule.

So my conclusion is that working practices are pretty much the same in the era of globalisation, certainly in Europe. I'm sure other expat HPCers can add their comments from the rest of the world.

Although I've lived abroad for more than twenty years, I'm finding it difficult to come up with

any decent advice. Also you didn't say much about yourself,skills ,savings,family situation etc.

Some people can live just about anywhere, on the other hand, other people just go to

pieces mentally.

I would suggest that you 'invest' in a round- the-world ticket, and take it from there.

Tell us more about yourself!

In my case, the 'different view of working procedures' basically boiled down to a difference in the educational format. In Britain, at least when I went to school, my education was for the most part deductive. That is to say you were taught to analyse things yourself and question/prove your results. In France, the educational format is inductive. That is to say, the teacher tells you what is correct and you don't question it!

very interesting and exactly the conclusion that I have come to with regards to working with a number of immigrants in the UK. Its not to say these people cant do their jobs, is just that they couldnt do anyone elses jobs! Our off shore guys are well educated and some are clearly bright but you have to make all their decisions for them.

tbh I think we should be proud of education because I too came to the same conclusion that somewhere down the line we must have been trained to think in the way that we do.

Its also good to see realists posting. Moving abroad can be a fantastic thing to do but to assume its going to solve all your problems and a Eutopian life is ahead is rather short sighted. I actually think that the UK can offer a good standard of living relative to many places in the world. It's certainlty treated me well and ive had no lucky breaks in life :(! Emmigration clearly works out great for many people - just go into it with your eyes open.

Edited by Orbital

I moved to Canada. Montreal right now and Vancouver very soon.

Have no plans to return until the UK become comparatively affordable again (I'm not holding my breath).

Edited by mcfc98

Guest vicmac64

Australia first ( it will crash too but at least the weathers good ) and (Canada too will crash but they are a nice people and the skiing is really good). Can't think of anywhere else except my favourite nation which is NEW ZEALAND yeahh - at the back end of beyond, a fronteir race and still early enough to make things right.

Guest Popalot

Well why not go somewhere which is not becoming a sewer as fast as it possibly can? The only plus of globlisation IMHO is the abilty to scarper. Agee with vicmac - NZ will stay purest the longest. :P Beware of France ( a previous thought of mine) you have a short, hirsute, male version of Thatcher in charge...cherchez la toilette for that place soon. ;)

Guest vicmac64
Semi-retired please - I'm not completely free!

With regard to the work situation, the Europeans may have worked less hard in the past but that's certainly not the case now especially with multinational companies.

Unfortunately, I have never really liked being told what to do, especially when it's clearly wrong. Hence my decision to resign from this particular company and preferring to be self employed. (This decision obviously could not have been taken with a wife,mortgage and kids to support). Also, although this scenario is not just the case in France, people did seem to hang around late in the office without actually doing anything except for surfing the net! Again I'm not one for hanging around for appearance sake, so I was frowned upon for disappearing, even though my work was on schedule.

So my conclusion is that working practices are pretty much the same in the era of globalisation, certainly in Europe. I'm sure other expat HPCers can add their comments from the rest of the world.

agreed - those with ability, energy and stamina will be surely exorcised from the company - ha ha doesn't make any sense but hey does anything now?

Also, although this scenario is not just the case in France, people did seem to hang around late in the office without actually doing anything except for surfing the net! Again I'm not one for hanging around for appearance sake, so I was frowned upon for disappearing, even though my work was on schedule.

French education sucks! :lol: There is even worse grade inflation than in the UK and the Universities are total crap.... virtually no selection. The Grandes Ecoles are supposed to be good - but the French, at least those that havrn't been exposed to anglo-saxon practises, are completely unable to think outside the box.

Presentism is a big problem in France. Sitting around till 8-9pm to impress the boss that you are still there - and sometimes you actually had to do work.

You also forgot that the pay is poor. Salaries around 2/3rds of UK levels and housing unaffordable to buy.

I am sure you can afford a holiday if you earn less than £100k a year, but yes you are right there is a underlying feeling that the young in this country have got the raw end of the deal, running fast but unable to go anywhere. If you could see that the goal was half achieveable it might be worth puting more effort into striving to reach it. ;)

Canada seems OK so far; we just bought a fairly new three-bed, three-bathroom house with double garage in a safe part of town for about 130,000 pounds and, while I haven't looked for jobs yet, my savings plus even an average salary would let me pay off the rest of the mortgage in the five years it's fixed for. We did talk about buying a place out of town with a few acres of land, but my girlfriend didn't want to be driving on country roads at night in the winter in a blizzard!

I'm guessing prices will drop over the next few years, but we paid under the asking price and significantly less than the last similar house sold for on the road, and price drops would probably be no more than we'd have paid in rent in that time... rent on a similar house would be about the same as a mortgage. And if we do get hyperinflation instead then we can let the mortgage run the full duration so it's wiped out by the inflation.

One interesting point is that although the Canadian bank rate is substantially lower than the UK, mortgage rates typically seem to be higher; we only got a low rate because we've put down such a large deposit and my girlfriend has a very good credit rating.

...Scotland ..it's all free up there..... :lol::lol::P

In just over a month the wife and I will be flying out to live in San Francisco. Sure, its out of the frying pan and into the fire with regards to house prices but you only live once, plus its a lovely payrise! Rest assured that I'll be putting most of my money into gold as fast as I can :)