House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
zhinzhon

The Halifax Glitch

Do you have a Halifax Web Saver account ?

Have you experienced problems transferring money to your current account or found that you cannot close any accounts online. This is because of a "so called" Glitch.

What this means is billions of pounds for the moment are temporarily locked in the ether. Why ?

Halifax denies any serious problems and that the system is being investigated. The real story is it is been like this for 4 days and counting.

Unlike the Barlcays debacle already mentioned the Halifax has no such cash flow problems. The have all the money they need for now to keep them going. I will keep you all informed as to the progress.

Is this glitch or something more sinister. Only speculation from a very suspicous mind for now ;)

Is this glitch or something more sinister. Only speculation from a very suspicous mind for now ;)

I've got an acct with Sainsbury's (same group) and it's been frozen for 2 or 3 weeks because they've got my DOB wrong.

I've sent them 3 letters correcting this, the last one recorded and received a week ago.

There's nothing sinister. It's just 90% of banks are useless in my experience.

Have you experienced problems transferring money to your current account or found that you cannot close any accounts online.

This is because of a "so called" Glitch.

What this means is billions of pounds for the moment are temporarily locked in the ether. Why ?

Halifax denies any serious problems and that the system is being investigated. The real story is it is been like this for 4 days and counting.

Unlike the Barlcays debacle already mentioned the Halifax has no such cash flow problems. The have all the money they need for now to keep them going. I will keep you all informed as to the progress.

I've got an acct with Sainsbury's (same group) and it's been frozen for 2 or 3 weeks because they've got my DOB wrong.

I've sent them 3 letters correcting this, the last one recorded and received a week ago.

There's nothing sinister. It's just 90% of banks are useless in my experience.

(cgnao @ Aug 30 2007, 07:51 PM) *

A bit of serendipity? Muhahhahahhahahah.... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle2358155.ece

August 30, 2007

Barclays forced to arrange £1.6bn BoE emergency loan

A source said: “This was a technical glitch, not a liquidity problem. It’s a bit of serendipity, really, which bank is long and which bank is short at the time that the system goes down.”

There are an awful lot of these technical glitches happening lately.

The NYSE had one earlier in the year, and the Barclays/HSBC bickering earlier this month was down to a computer outage too, wasnt it?

Wells Fargo had....well, have a guess....... 'server problems' preventing customers from making withdrawls just last week.

Can we add Halifax to the list now?

Have you experienced problems transferring money to your current account or found that you cannot close any accounts online. This is because of a "so called" Glitch.

I managed to transfer some cash in a few days ago into my websaver. However, my credit card page has been unavailable for weeks. That website is the worst banking website I have ever used. It's not fit for purpose.

I managed to transfer some cash in a few days ago into my websaver. However, my credit card page has been unavailable for weeks. That website is the worst banking website I have ever used. It's not fit for purpose.

I agree. Half of the link and functions just dont work.

Update : Withdrawls are working again, but closing your options is still unavailable. False alarm I guess, or was it. For 4 days some customers could not withdraw. Which in essence means that halifax had 4 days of liquidity, where a run on a bank (not like it was going to happen), would have been impossible.

Just read this on one of the US Forums... :blink:

I wasn't going to post this experience because I thought i'd just sound over-reactionary... given all the info. in this forum, that would be EASY to do, right!??

I was out and about 2 days ago (Wednesday evening), completing my '90 days preparation' routine. I've been paying rent, health insurance, cell phone, car insurance... you name it, for 90 days forward, just 'in case' cash would be hard to access.

On my last stop, I had planned to start bulking up some cash-currency bit-by-bit to round out my plan. So, I go to my nearest BANK of AMERICA bank branch ATM. No go, it was blocked with one of those red colored plates they put in the ATM card slot when they normally do refilling, unloading, maintenance, etc.

That was in the driveup lane. Didnt' think anything of it... until....

I get out of the car to go up the walk up teller...

That one has the slot blocked too... AND THE ONE NEXT TO IT was blocked also! All of them at that branch.

Now... im' going... hmmmmmmmm

It's after hours, so I go to the next nearest BofA Branch.

SAME F*CKING THING!!! All the ATM machines where blocked, not usable. Not the drive up, or the walk up.

I drive to the NEXT BofA, G'D D*MNED IT!! SAME THING AGAIN!! ATM machines were all card blocked.

Finally, at the FOURTH branch, I find ONE ATM out of 3 with an unblocked ATM card slot. It worked. By that point, the stories of the Citibank problem were racing around in my head about a 1000 MPH. And now BofA??

This was a completely unusual. I've never ever in 37 years of using BofA ever ever ever encountered so many ATM machines unusable at the same time. All when i'm trying to pull cash out no less. What a sh*tty coincidence is this or what?

What this feels like to me:

THEY ARE HIDING A DIRE PROBLEM IN PLAIN SIGHT. The most effective way??

I thought i'd post this to see if anyone else has ecountered this unusual deviation from normal at their own BofA banking facilities. I'm really really hoping this was a fluke. Please tell me it was.

I wish I hadn't read that :unsure::blink:

I'm reading a lot of stuff I don't want to read atm :blink:

Including the possibility of a major bank filing for Chapter 11 after the US holidays (labor day?). At the moment just one unsubstantiated post so I've been looking and keep checking for more info. However it seems four US banks each borrowed $500 from the Fed in the past week, so the process of trying to flush out the weak link continues.

Nothing sinister with the Halifax thing. There was a planned maintenance outage on the Halifax site between 02:00 and 08:00. This affected the https (secure bit that stops nasty crackers stealing your details) side of the system.

Unfortunately, you couldn't read the message informing you of this because it wasn't on the front page.

When the system came back up it had some minor ongoing formatting issues and the web server was up and down like a whore's drawers.

I've had similar experiences when transferring databases to new servers for example and some work around gets broken.

My guess is the maintenance over ran when somebody discovered an error in a script and it took a bit of time to solve it.

Panic over. It was all fixed by mid-day and I've been doing transfers etc with no problem.

The end of the world will have to wait til Tuesday.

Edited by linuxgeek

Oh dear oh dear oh dear!

More of these computer glitches! Apparently due to a glitch, Barclays had to borrow £1.6bn!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6971731.stm

If it smells like bull, if it sounds like bull and if it looks like bull, its bull!

Ah yes, a technical problem.... the report that said we had this much money multiplied instead of divided... :P