House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

Asian Lodger Needed

I was just flicking through one of the local free papers, and I noticed an ad in the classified section:

ASIAN LODGER Needed to share house with couple.

Can they really get away with saying that? Imagine the hoohah if someone was asking after a 'white lodger'. We'll be back to signs saying 'No coloureds' in B&Bs if we're not careful!

I was just flicking through one of the local free papers, and I noticed an ad in the classified section:
ASIAN LODGER Needed to share house with couple.

Can they really get away with saying that? Imagine the hoohah if someone was asking after a 'white lodger'. We'll be back to signs saying 'No coloureds' in B&Bs if we're not careful!

Reply to the advert and when they turn you down file a complaint with Race Relations Stazi. Probably loads of compensation on offer for "hurt feelings" etc*

*unless you are British and White

The word lodger implies the person is to live in the family home. As a lodger.

So they probably can say that.

And so they should.

They've probably got specific rules/regs on what they can/can't do/eat on certain days/festivals.... and obviously all of us want anybody living in our house to be "just like us".

About 25 years ago a friend of mine went as a lodger into the home of an Indian family. They asked her never to bring any form of beef into the house.

The word lodger implies the person is to live in the family home. As a lodger.

So they probably can say that.

And so they should.

They've probably got specific rules/regs on what they can/can't do/eat on certain days/festivals.... and obviously all of us want anybody living in our house to be "just like us".

About 25 years ago a friend of mine went as a lodger into the home of an Indian family. They asked her never to bring any form of beef into the house.

An asian Hindu has different beliefs to an asian muslim, so that destroys that argument. The advert is rascist.

As to the question I believe they can't.

Forward it on to the race relations of your council, or the BNP for further comment ! ;)

Or SC on here.......SC care to comment?

They cannot discriminate in the provision of goods and services in this way according to the race relations act AFAIK. I think anybody not Asian who applied and was turned away would have a good case for discrimination.

However on a practical level would you want to live in a house where the landlord/lady didn't want you in there on the grounds of race? Honesty is the best policy I think. In this case it saves you going through the farce of attending a viewing where the landlord/lady had no intention of letting to you.

The race relations act is an insidious piece of legislation IMHO. Ads like this should be allowed. However whilst it remains illegal the "criminals" in question should face the full force of law. Seeing as they are ethnics I won't hold my breath.

An asian Hindu has different beliefs to an asian muslim, so that destroys that argument. The advert is rascist.

An excellent point. "Asian" certainly isn't a homogenous cultural group nor is it a homogenous racial grouping.

However on a practical level would you want to live in a house where the landlord/lady didn't want you in there on the grounds of race? Honesty is the best policy I think. In this case it saves you going through the farce of attending a viewing where the landlord/lady had no intention of letting to you.

Agreed entirely, but the issue here is that, regardless of the technical legality of the case, Asians advertising for an Asian lodger doesn't turn a hair. Were a Caucasian family to do likewise, they'd find themselves in court before you can say 'Equality and Diversity Officer'.

Agreed entirely, but the issue here is that, regardless of the technical legality of the case, Asians advertising for an Asian lodger doesn't turn a hair. Were a Caucasian family to do likewise, they'd find themselves in court before you can say 'Equality and Diversity Officer'.

Unfortunately we all know the law isn't blind which only fuels resentment.

How long were the "Preachers of Hate" inciting violence and hatred quite literally under the noses of PC Plod? Years and bloody years and quite publicly too. They were hardly backwards in coming forwards. Nary a whimper from the CPS or Plod.

Nick Griffin accurately predicts the events of 7/7 in a private meeting and low and behold the full weight of the law descends on him!

Ads like this should be allowed. However whilst it remains illegal the "criminals" in question should face the full force of law.

Make your mind up! ;)

Seeing as they are ethnics I won't hold my breath.

<pedant>

Actually, the ad doesn't specify the ethnicity of the couple.

</pedant>

I'm still in a position where I don't really know if I'll do anything about it.

I have the feeling that, if I try to complain, I'll be met with either:

• Incomprehension: from someone who genuinely thinks that something is not discrimination if it favours those traditionally discriminated against (i.e. 'positive' discrimination), or
  • Aggression/derision: from someone who thinks it's me whose being discriminatory.

Either of which would wind me up no end... Sometimes, principle has to take a back-seat to stress and aggravation! ;)

I disagree completely (as I'm sure you knew I would) :)

On the contrary: I didn't consider you or your stance at all when I was making my own reply, and, even if I had, I don't know why you would think I'd be able to guess what that stance would be! :)

One could argue this is why we are in the mess we are in because of apathy. (Not directly related to you the big picture obviously).

You can't be met with discrimination if you want something investigated or clarified.

I don't see why I can't be met with discrimination. People will deal out discrimination whenever they feel like it. It may not be 'right', but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

P.S. Can you post the link to this advert, i.e. does the newspaper have an online edition? ;)

The newspaper in question is the Stafford Post. I haven't looked, but, as it's only a local freebie, I don't know that they'd have an online version; at least not one that includes all the classifieds.

However, here is a scan of a bit of the page with the ad on it. I've blurrified bits and pieces: even though I don't think that blurrifying should really be necessary (as the blurrified bits are in the public domain), I've done it anyway just in case:

post.jpg

Interestingly, you may notice that the ad next to the 'Asian' one is requesting 'professionals only'... Is this any different/worse/better than 'Asian only'?

Complain to the equal opportunities commission and unless you are black nothing will happen.

I wonder whether, as I'm not actually looking to lodge with anyone (and, hence, I'm not personally being discriminated against), whether my making a complaint would just be seen as trouble-causing.

post-5829-1188549259_thumb.jpg

Make your mind up! ;)

My mind is made up. The ad should be legal but whilst it isn't the criminals responsible should be prosecuted regardless of their ethnicity.

I feel the same on a number of issues - drugs for example - should be legal but whilst they aren't those found in breach of the current law of the land should be vigorously prosecuted.