House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Smell the Fear

Investment Banker

Now i hope I've lived a lived a greedy and selfish life so far(32)......

Ive tried to be nasty at times of need.....laugh at other people's problems.

I'm guilty of moaning about tedious things.....and was a bit of a naughty youngster until i joined the City.

I wasn't outstanding at school, but I got into Oxford because my private school tutors knew how to play the system. I started on the grad scheme at a major bank, made £60k in my first year. It was hard work, especially when the MD made me suck him off to "relieve stress". I worked my way up and am now a VP in structured finance. We've made a bomb these last few years peddling junk debt as AAA, so easy with so many suckers out there. I made £750k last year, managed to avoid tax on the vast majority of it. Of course the coke and whores eat into that but everyone has their vices, eh?

I've never contributed anything of value to the world, never wanted to. In fact, other people are just scum in my opinion.

I'm considered to be quite a pathetic character physically and mentally...but if truth be known the high opinion of myself and co workers in the world concerns me.....do I really deserve the huge pay packet and admiration of beautiful women?

I'm guilty of moaning about tedious things.....and was a bit of a naughty youngster until i joined the City.

I wasn't outstanding at school, but I got into Oxford because my private school tutors knew how to play the system. I started on the grad scheme at a major bank, made £60k in my first year. It was hard work, especially when the MD made me suck him off to "relieve stress". I worked my way up and am now a VP in structured finance. We've made a bomb these last few years peddling junk debt as AAA, so easy with so many suckers out there. I made £750k last year, managed to avoid tax on the vast majority of it. Of course the coke and whores eat into that but everyone has their vices, eh?

I've never contributed anything of value to the world, never wanted to. In fact, other people are just scum in my opinion.

I'm considered to be quite a pathetic character physically and mentally...but if truth be known the high opinion of myself and co workers in the world concerns me.....do I really deserve the huge pay packet and admiration of beautiful women?

...when are you fleeing to open a wine bar in Thailand or somewhere far away.... :lol::lol::lol::P

...when are you fleeing to open a wine bar in Thailand or somewhere far away.... :lol::lol::lol::P

Haha yes, so true. I think the shores of the caribbean and far east are going to be crowded with Piers and Ollie shaking their little metal canisters soon!

I find the best way to wind up banker bores is to say 'why don't you chaps ever let me pay in more than three bags of coins? And I do wish you wouldn't go for your lunch break when there's a big queue of people at your counter...' :lol:

Summary: Im a ccok sucker that people find pathetic both physically and mentally but the coke habit keeps my confidence high.

hehe made me laugh.

But as a point of discussion, one has to point out that this seems rather ill informed. Most of the high flyers I work with in the City are more likely to be insanely bright hard working European immigrants drafted in for their ability. Companies have been moving away from the old boy networks - they still exist, but they are being battered by others that select by ability. Common sense really.

Of course my experience is limited but its a trend we recognise where I work. There is too much at stake these days to carry some twit who doesnt know what he's doing.

Actually the one aristocrat in our office is a typically hard working guy, I think even more so than others because he is so keen to prove he is deserving and not just here because of his status. Top lad tbh, doesnt flaunt it at all and most people dont even know his background.

We could also discuss how free markets are important for raising everyones wealth and paying for a superior infrastructure. If you really think you'd be better of in North Korea or Cuba - good luck! Sadly my internet surfing time is up for today.

But as a point of discussion, one has to point out that this seems rather ill informed. Most of the high flyers I work with in the City are more likely to be insanely bright hard working European immigrants drafted in for their ability. Companies have been moving away from the old boy networks - they still exist, but they are being battered by others that select by ability. Common sense really.

That's true - it really has changed over the 20 years I've been at it. Back in the 80s, the toffs were definitely in control, now there's very few of them left in finance outside of private banking. The new breed are a real mix with the only common factor being good academic qualifications and willingness to work very long hours.

The new breed are a real mix with the only common factor being good academic qualifications and willingness to work very long hours.

...seem to have inherited the old habits....and more..... :lol::lol::lol::P

That's true - it really has changed over the 20 years I've been at it. Back in the 80s, the toffs were definitely in control, now there's very few of them left in finance outside of private banking. The new breed are a real mix with the only common factor being good academic qualifications and willingness to work very long hours.

indeed. 20 years ago an ex-miner's son from the valleys would not have even been able to become the post boy

indeed. 20 years ago an ex-miner's son from the valleys would not have even been able to become the post boy

.......are you on the wrapping of CDO 's or just selling them.... :o:o:o

Well, I'm an ex-squaddy's son from the grim North and I got in.....but I have a degree or two in hard sums so they didn't have much choice (toffs can't add up in my experience). It's probably more accurate to say that 20 years ago, the ex-miner's son might have got a job as the post boy but, even if he turned out to be a better stock picker than the old Etonian's running the show, he would have never have been given a chance to show it. It was the yanks arriving that really changed things, partly because they bought out all the toffs who then promptly retired but partly because of their attitude to such things. The bit in Liar's Poker describing how Lou Ranieri (I worked a few desks away from him for a while, believe it or not, and he was horrible!) made it from post-room boy to MBS big swinging d*ck pretty much sums it up.

.......are you on the wrapping of CDO 's or just selling them.... :o:o:o

everything apart from selling them as I am not a very good salesperson.

It was the yanks arriving that really changed things, partly because they bought out all the toffs who then promptly retired but partly because of their attitude to such things.

...was this the 'contagion'......?...... :unsure::unsure::unsure:

.....no heads above the parapits...?...... :o:o:o

what do you mean by "contagion"? (that is a straight question)