House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Goldfinger

Bank Of England Loaned $3.2 Billion At Penalty Rate

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

Bank of England Says It Made Loan of Funds at Emergency Rate

By Jennifer Ryan

Aug. 30 (Bloomberg) -- The Bank of England said that it loaned 1.6 billion pounds ($3.2 billion) at its penalty rate of 6.75 percent.

Oh-oh. Credit crunch FAR from over. Use this fantastic rebounce in the market to sort your portfolio and make it depression proof. E.g., you could get out of everything -- except for very short term government bonds and of course gold and silver.

Edited by Goldfinger

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Oh-oh. Credit crunch FAR from over. Use this fantastic rebounce in the market to sort your portfolio and make it depression proof. E.g., you could get out of everything -- except for very short term government bonds and of course gold and silver.

Sorry. I lent them that, they just looked so desperate and shabby.

THE borrower was not identified - do you think this was one institution?

I would possibly think so. I mean, a billion is peanuts nowadays. We had funds blowing up recently losing several of them -- no one really seemed to care.

THE borrower was not identified - do you think this was one institution?

No. A gang of institutions was seen running away from the Bank wearing hoodies, so that they were not picked up on nearby CCTV :lol:

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
I bet it's Northern Barclays. :lol:

Can't possibly be Barclays. Super profits. Lovely Blue Logo. Symbol of Integrity. British. Best in the World.

I would possibly think so. I mean, a billion is peanuts nowadays. We had funds blowing up recently losing several of them -- no one really seemed to care.

Yes it's the not caring that caused all this mess in the first place. A return to caution wouldn't be a bad thing. The path to that looks like it's landmined though!

The smell of rotten credit derivatives is becoming unbearable.

Mark these words, despite all the reassurances we are in for a very bad surprise.

Could be a Southern Turd Plc. we're smelling here.

...or, as somone else on this site spotted (and if you had £50k) you could go for 5.15% at

http://www.nsandi.com/products/easa/rates.jsp

far safer bet than cahootING etc if you're of the nervous persuasion.

? But are nsi accounts only g'teed to £30K ?? !!! :blink:

...or, as somone else on this site spotted (and if you had £50k) you could go for 5.15% at

http://www.nsandi.com/products/easa/rates.jsp

far safer bet than cahootING etc if you're of the nervous persuasion.

? But are nsi accounts only g'teed to £30K ?? !!! :blink:

no 100%, if government goes bust they will print to cover losses. Just don't expect to be able to afford anything imported (i.e. everything)

The Loan was made to Stewarts Beef Holdings, as the main supplier to McDonalds if they had gone under the unemployment rate in the UK would have shot up to 33million overnight.

The Loan was made to Stewarts Beef Holdings, as the main supplier to McDonalds if they had gone under the unemployment rate in the UK would have shot up to 33million overnight.

Lucky for you they were bailed out then. You'd have had nowhere to work and nowhere to eat. That's what I call a double whammy.