House Price Crash Forum

Refurbishment Fund?

alex228

HOLA441

Hello

is this true that there is a LEGAL obligation somewhere written that the LL has to put 10% of the rent aside to renew/refurbish the property after tenants' moving out? I just wan to know how to counteract potential attempts of withholding my deposit when I finally get out of this spider infested semi, and I think I heard/read it somewhere about this 10%

anyone knows more?

Edited by alex228

HOLA442
Hello

is this true that there is a LEGAL obligation somewhere written that the LL has to put 10% of the rent aside to renew/refurbish the property after tenants' moving out? I just wan to know how to counteract potential attempts of withholding my deposit when I finally get out of this spider infested semi, and I think I heard/read it somewhere about this 10%

anyone knows more?

Not sure where you think you read that but its nonsense. Its up to the LL what he does with his property once the tenant has gone.

Depending on how many weeks deposit the LL holds, just stop paying the rent. The contract probably expressly forbids this, but if you leave the property as you found it the LL is unlikely to take you to court.

Might be worth arranging an inspection before the last month's rent is due to sort out any potential issues beforehand. Photos are always a good idea too.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA443