T U C Planning Winter Of Discontent Over 2% Pay Deals

http://money.guardian.co.uk/businessnews/s...2156889,00.html

Ministers battle to avert winter of discontent

· Pay offer to pre-empt damaging strike action
· Bid to break unions' call for coordinated campaign
David "Dave" Hencke, Westminster correspondent
Monday August 27, 2007
The Guardian
Ministers are trying to pre-empt union plans for a highly damaging winter of strikes and industrial action for Gordon Brown by improving pay deals for millions of low-paid workers in advance of next month's TUC conference.
The aim is to take the heat out of calls for coordinated strikes by health workers, local government staff, civil servants, court officials and teachers over the government's 2% pay limit .
Unions - many of whom bankrolled his leadership bid only two months ago - are planning to ambush the prime minister when he addresses the TUC by passing a motion demanding coordinated strike action to fight his pay restraint policy, reflecting growing anger among their members that higher mortgage interest rates, petrol prices and inflation are leading to a real cut in living standards.

The TUC members will not be too happy when the ONLY thing they have gained under Gordon, HPINFLATION, vanishes beneath their feet. The tide is almost out and Gordon will be standing there without any trunks.

http://money.guardian.co.uk/businessnews/s...2156889,00.html

Ministers battle to avert winter of discontent

· Pay offer to pre-empt damaging strike action
· Bid to break unions' call for coordinated campaign
David "Dave" Hencke, Westminster correspondent
Monday August 27, 2007
The Guardian
Ministers are trying to pre-empt union plans for a highly damaging winter of strikes and industrial action for Gordon Brown by improving pay deals for millions of low-paid workers in advance of next month's TUC conference.
The aim is to take the heat out of calls for coordinated strikes by health workers, local government staff, civil servants, court officials and teachers over the government's 2% pay limit .
Unions - many of whom bankrolled his leadership bid only two months ago - are planning to ambush the prime minister when he addresses the TUC by passing a motion demanding coordinated strike action to fight his pay restraint policy, reflecting growing anger among their members that higher mortgage interest rates, petrol prices and inflation are leading to a real cut in living standards.

The TUC members will not be too happy when the ONLY thing they have gained under Gordon, HPINFLATION, vanishes beneath their feet. The tide is almost out and Gordon will be standing there without any trunks.

He will probably be picking his ass.

If there is inflation in the system, the unions are just doing their job by pushing for pay increases. They need to be pushing for increases in line with future inflation expectations.

No doubt the unions will get the blame, but the fault lies with the BOE and government who have expanded the money supply; held interest rates too low; and provided unreliable inflation data.

If there is inflation in the system, the unions are just doing their job by pushing for pay increases. They need to be pushing for increases in line with future inflation expectations.

No doubt the unions will get the blame, but the fault lies with the BOE and government who have expanded the money supply; held interest rates too low; and provided unreliable inflation data.

I agree but without same there would not have been a HP boom. Hang on...................

Edited by Realistbear

I know that this is slightyly off topic, but I've been reading this site a lot recently and have noted the amount of negative comment about GB's miracle economy and his underhand manipulation of the statistics. I'd be very interested to see a poll on this site of:

People who voted for labour in 1997 and then continued to vote for them

People who voted for labour in 1997 and then voted elsewhere subsequently

People who never voted for labour

It could be interesting to know how many HPC'ers had a hand in helping GB get where he is in the first place.

Personally I'm a true blue voter and suspect I always will be.

I don't think I have permission yet to start topics.