House Price Crash Forum
crash2006

Mfi 3 Years Interest Free

just walked in saw the tv advert MFI 3 years interest free?, guess they are trying to simulate the market.

I would take them up on it.................... if there was anything worth buying out the place. :P

Guest vicmac64
They've just marked up all their prices by 30% to cover it. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

yeah thats the way most of the groups do it - don;t know about MFI but I know other groups tha mark up by 50% then go forwards with discounts - you willmostly buy chear from independents - but give the groups a hard time first - let them know you are anti group and pro independents.

yeah thats the way most of the groups do it - don;t know about MFI but I know other groups tha mark up by 50% then go forwards with discounts - you willmostly buy chear from independents - but give the groups a hard time first - let them know you are anti group and pro independents.

I call it "corporate communism" or monopoly capitalism. You go on a spending spree, buying off independent retailers and then whack up all your prices when there's no other competition. Mega-retailers and other corporate filth such as ASDA-Walmart like to delude us that they are "cheap", when in fact they are expensive. Tesco's sickening "Every Little Helps" - yeah, it helps their shareholders alright.

Guest vicmac64
I call it "corporate communism" or monopoly capitalism. You go on a spending spree, buying off independent retailers and then whack up all your prices when there's no other competition. Mega-retailers and other corporate filth such as ASDA-Walmart like to delude us that they are "cheap", when in fact they are expensive. Tesco's sickening "Every Little Helps" - yeah, it helps their shareholders alright.

I agree Barrel Shifter - I believe that large groups are anti democratic - and should be broken up. Our Independence as a nation and democracy are dependent on private ownership and under no circumnstances should Globalist (communist) companies be allowed to exert control in our market place.

I agree Barrel Shifter - I believe that large groups are anti democratic - and should be broken up. Our Independence as a nation and democracy are dependent on private ownership and under no circumnstances should Globalist (communist) companies be allowed to exert control in our market place.

Too late, they wield too much power now. They probably wouldn't even need to resort to lobbying, just some snide press releases to their friends at the Sun & the Times and they get to win over public support from the vast majority of the morons.

Guest Bart of Darkness
just walked in saw the tv advert MFI 3 years interest free?, guess they are trying to simulate the market.

Haven't been in there for a loooooooong time, but isn't this quite common? Or am I thinking of DFS?

Guest vicmac64
Too late, they wield too much power now. They probably wouldn't even need to resort to lobbying, just some snide press releases to their friends at the Sun & the Times and they get to win over public support from the vast majority of the morons.

Its never too late - our economy is shot with debt, our currencies will fall as a consequence and it will be up to us to restore democracy to the UK.

Haven't been in there for a loooooooong time, but isn't this quite common? Or am I thinking of DFS?

They all do it. If I bought from DFS I would go in with cash and demand a 20% discount at the very least.

They all do it. If I bought from DFS I would go in with cash and demand a 20% discount at the very least.

But they will think you a drug dealing money launderer if you do that, have you tried spending cash at these places, some of them are not even allowed to take it !

I think you have to take the credit option to get the best price :lol: lol

But they will think you a drug dealing money launderer if you do that, have you tried spending cash at these places, some of them are not even allowed to take it !

I think you have to take the credit option to get the best price :lol: lol

I think for larger purchases they need to do some checks to make sure you are not money laundering but do they really have to do it for purchases 1 - 5000 pounds?

And they'd probably love to do the deal with you.

However, it is illegal to discount a product offered on an interest-free deal in exchange for immediate payment, as this would be an admission that the interest on the credit extended was factored into the price - hence making it not free.

The Office of Fair Trading have had their eyes on interest-free credit arrangements for years now. They often send in under-cover personnel to offer cash and ask for a discount. Consequently the big players like DFS are very careful - their whole business model is built on interest-free credit.

Aproximately 40% of the advertised price of a suite at DFS is covering the 'interest-free' credit they offer to all and sundry. Very few people are turned down.

You're much better off taking your cash to a proper furniture shop.

Hello Mr Yogi,

Are you sure about this?

I'd go in with cash any day. I'd be surprised if they turned you down.

I'm totally sure.

For years I ran my own furniture store so I know how it works.

I might have been tempted to take a chance and do a cash deal if I liked the cut of your jib, but managers and staff of places like DFS are under strict instructions not to.

Their whole business is built on flogging poor quality furniture at inflated prices to ignorant people taken in by the 'interest-free' scam. And they've made millions.

They're not going to risk killing the goose that laid the golden egg for the sake of your lousy grand or so!

The OFT would just love to close down interest free deals completely. The likes of DFS are desperate not to give them the opportunity.

DFS DONT take cash. Been there, tried that. They did however try and sell me the 'interest free' option that actually isn't. It has an insurance component from Hitachi Capital that will cost you hundreds in interest. They don't talk about that part though - they wait to see if you spot it on the contract before you sign. If you don't, tough titty. I did spot it, told them to shove it, and went to John Lewis instead. I got far Superior workmanship and product for my money.

I have a friend who went to DFS. Two years down the line, his sofa looks like dog bedding. He had it independently looked at by a craftsman, who basically confirmed it was the cheapest of the cheap.

Stay away.

Its OK I shall not be going to DFS anytime soon, but I will at some point have to furnish our own place which we are moving into next year.

Any ideas for quality with out compromise but not paying so much I'm gonna vommit at the prices?

There's a nice reclaimed oak furniture stall at Winchester market every saturday. It's top quality stuff. If you're looking for second hand, try the auctions - I know of one at Frome in somerset and there's a second hand furniture stall in Totnes, again on a Saturday.

Mmmmmmm........... tasty.

3 years interest free on flatpack furniture. Yummy.

Form a queue guys.... no pushing please. :lol::lol::lol:

Suprised MFI are still going. Its been two decades since I stocked up on their cheap kitchen units. I thought IKEA was the new MFI. :blink: