House Price Crash Forum
Sledgehead

Hilarious Us Durable Goods Orders

Previous : 1.4 %

Survey : 1.0 %

Actual : 5.9%

Is this supposed to mean something?

You've just posted pecentages without saying what they are or what their significance is! :huh:

You've just posted pecentages without saying what they are or what their significance is! :huh:

Yeah, but you've got to admit they're hilarious! 5.9% always gets me! :lol: Not as funny as 3.4% though, that makes me wet myself.

If this is right the Fed will have to hike .50% at their next meeting. Biggest economic surge ever recorded?

I think he means this: http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/econ...p;dist=hplatest

"Orders for U.S.-made durable goods jumped 5.9% in July on higher demand for airplanes, vehicles, computers, machinery, steel and most other kinds of long-lasting manufactured goods, the Commerce Department reported Friday.

Excluding the 10.8% increase in transportation goods, orders rose 3.7%, the fastest gain in two years.

The increase far exceeded the expected 1.5% gain forecast by economists surveyed by MarketWatch. See Economic Calendar. It was the largest gain in total orders in nearly a year.

Orders for durable goods increased 1.9% in June, revised up from 1.3% previously. Read the full report.

The data cover activity through the end of July, before a severe credit crisis shook U.S. financial markets. It's not clear yet what impact, if any, that crisis will have on companies' ability and willingness to invest in capital equipment. "

So it's an inflationary pressure making rate cuts less likely? Or am I completely off? :blink:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070824/economy.html?.v=7

AP
Factory Orders Jump 5.9 Percent in July
Friday August 24, 8:43 am ET
By Jeannine "Jeanie" Aversa, AP Economics Writer
Factory Orders Jump 5.9 Percent in July, the Most in 10 Months
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Factories saw orders for big-ticket goods jump 5.9 percent in July, the most in 10 months, an encouraging sign that many manufacturers are holding up to the stresses caused by a housing slump and a credit crunch.
The Commerce Department reported Friday that the sizable increase in new orders for "durable" goods followed a 1.9 percent rise in June. Durable goods are costly manufactured items expected to last at least three years.
The fresh barometer of manufacturing activity was better than economists were expecting; they were forecasting a 1 percent increase. Gains were widespread. Orders went up for machinery, automobiles, metal products, airplanes and communications equipment. That blunted a drop in demand for computers, as well as electrical equipment and appliances.
The 5.9 percent increase posted in July was the most since September, when overall manufacturing orders went up 8.8 percent.
The pickup in demand for manufactured goods comes against a backdrop of a growing global economy, which has produced a
bigger appetite for some U.S. exports

Silly us, and there we were thinking a recession was on the cards! :lol:

Back to normal folks, maybe next year................................ <_<

Sorry, this sounds good but I don't quite understand. Explanation?

Durable Goods: A measure of the value of orders received by manufacturers for durable goods -- goods designed to last three years or more (such as motor vehicles and appliances).

Here's the story.

Essentially it is saying that the consumer is still in la-la land and spending as if money were going out of fashion. You have to ask yourself how history would judge a Fed that cut rates when consumer sentiment was still riding on a high.

They should be raising IRs on these numbers not cutting them!!

Thats the point that is being made

Well why didn't someone just say that from the start then and save us from having to trawl thorough a load of cr*p on this thread!

Well why didn't someone just say that from the start then and save us from having to trawl thorough a load of cr*p on this thread!

Sorry "OLDFTB". I forget sometimes that kids now need special classes to teach them how to look things up b4 they are packaged off to Uni.

I'll try in future to be more helpful and include economics lessons. I'll also try to restrict my words to fewer than two syllables.

They should be raising IRs on these numbers not cutting them!!

Thats the point that is being made

I have yet to hear the Fed say anything about cutting and yet nearly all the VIs seem to be assuming he will. The Al put is not going to happen this time. The last 10 years HPI must have taught the central banks something? Don't fight the cycle--it just makes it worse when correction time comes around.

I have yet to hear the Fed say anything about cutting and yet nearly all the VIs seem to be assuming he will. The Al put is not going to happen this time.

You cannot know that. There is immense pressure to cut rates. Imagine you're in Bernanke's chair and they say to you "if you don't cut rates you will be remembered as the guy who brought the whole house down."

Indeed, you are right that they should not cut but the Fed should not exist in the first place. It is there to manipulate the market: That is its function.

I believe, even if they cut the crunch will continue and deepen, but these types like to be seen to be doing the best they can.

I would not bet against a cut

So this is orders for US made stuff?

Their currency hasn't been doing terribly well recently has it (to understate fairly dramatically), particularly in the period this data relates to. Surely that means that US consumers are way more likely to buy US goods rather than imported goods because imports become too expensive, and non-US consumers are way more likely to take advantage of the cheap dollar to stock up on shiny US crap?

You cannot know that. There is immense pressure to cut rates. Imagine you're in Bernanke's chair and they say to you "if you don't cut rates you will be remembered as the guy who brought the whole house down."

Indeed, you are right that they should not cut but the Fed should not exist in the first place. It is there to manipulate the market: That is its function.

I believe, even if they cut the crunch will continue and deepen, but these types like to be seen to be doing the best they can.

I would not bet against a cut

Hasn't someone just taken charge as well? Nobody wants to have things collapse as soon as it's their problem, most would much rather delay a few months no matter how much worse it makes things in the end.

It says airplanes in the report, but presumably they are just making sure the helicopters are actually built in readiness, so it probably is a sign of a rate cut.

Cue Flight of the Valkyries...

Yeah, but you've got to admit they're hilarious! 5.9% always gets me! :lol: Not as funny as 3.4% though, that makes me wet myself.

Maybe you'll find this funny:

There's this guy and girl and the guy says, "Honey, how's about coming back to my place," and she says, "honey I can't cos I'm on my menstrual cycle," and he says, "don't worry babe, I'll give you a lift in my Nova."

But the REAL funny bit is the dumbass who chimes up, "Oh yeah, like that's a real funny joke Sledge - NOT! Menstrual don't even make cycles!"

That dumbass is you sossi. When the ****** did being too stupid to understand a joke make you a comedian, eh? Now shut the ****** up!

( ;) )

Edited by Sledgehead

There's this guy and girl and the guy says, "Honey, how's about coming back to my place," and she says, "honey I can't cos I'm on my menstrual cycle," and he says, "don't worry babe, I'll give you a lift in my Nova."

But the REAL funny bit is the dumbass who chimes up, "Oh yeah, like that's a real funny joke Sledge - NOT! Menstrual don't even make cycles!"

That dumbass is you sossi. When the ****** did being too stupid to understand a joke make you a comedian, eh? Now shut the ****** up!

( ;) )

The real joke is that they'll end up adjusting it down to make it seem to make sense.

I once spent a lot of time trying to find out why these characters can never get their numbers right the first time and if they can't then why don't they release them when they HAVE got them right?

It's not as if these things would be any more or less time-sensitive for actually getting them right first time.

Now we can have bets on how much they cut when they adjust. What number looks high but managable? I think Sossij's 3.4% is probably spot on.

( ;) )

:blink: