House Price Crash Forum

370 Jobs To Go In Yorkshire

HOLA441

I added this comment in the online comments section on our local papers website (John is just a made up name and my comment is totally made up.)

Posted by: John, Bradford on 1:03pm Thu 23 Aug 07

I have just bought a house for 135,000 and I have just lost my job. It looks like I will lose my house. There arent many jobs in Bradford which pay wages where you have enough money to buy a house now.

Anyway, my quote is now in this new news article which will be published, haha, i almost feel famous, hehe:

My comment

New article with me quoted in it

Closure of bakery 'could hit thousands'

By Mark Casci

Comment

The closure of a Bradford bread factory could affect thousands of people across the city, a councillor has warned.

Councillor Ghazanfer Khaliq said that the knock-on effect of the proposed redundancies of 370 workers at the British Bakeries factory in Thornbury would have a devastating effect on his ward.

The jobs are being cut after British Bakeries announced its intention to axe all manufacturing at the Gain Lane site after a recent fall in the UK bread market.

advertisementThe factory's workforce come from all over West Yorkshire but many live in the Bradford Moor and Thornbury areas.

Coun Khaliq said he had been contacted by many people in the area and that he knew personally many of the families who have been affected.

The former Lord Mayor of Bradford said: "Many of the people who work there are from Bradford Moor and it is going to have a really big impact on the local area.

"We need to look at speaking to the managers to encourage them to re-assess whether there is any way jobs could be saved.

"It has been a big shock to the area. 370 jobs is a big blow but of course the real amount of people affected is much higher when you consider it is 370 families affected."

The news of the proposed closure of the factory led to a stream of comments from readers on the T&A's website.

One man who identified himself as Luke from Bradford said: "My girlfriend's dad has worked there for 42 years, he is really gutted and this should not have happened."

Kia, from Bradford Moor, said: "My area will see a breakdown or shall I say a meltdown as daughters like me will not be able to pay our university fees and our families will become bankrupt because they cannot pay their mortgage."

Another reader, who identified himself as John from Bradford, said: "I have just bought a house for £135,000 and I have just lost my job. It looks like I will lose my house."

Meanwhile union officials have asked to see financial figures from British Bakeries as they begin their fight to keep the factory open.

The Bakers, Food and Allied Workers Union met formally with bosses yesterday to begin putting together a package to fight to save the jobs of the workers.

Ian Wood, organising district secretary for the BFAWU, said: "We are at the very early stages of this process.

"This is a very complicated situation and the fact is there are six or seven reasons why these 370 jobs have been made redundant. At this point we need to knock down each of those arguments and put something in place to keep the factory open. We are working very hard to keep it open."

Further meetings are scheduled for next week.

e-mail: mark.casci @bradford.newsquest.co.uk

10:58pm today

Edited by Bearback

HOLA442
I added this comment in the online comments section on our local papers website (John is just a made up name and my comment is totally made up.)

Anyway, my quote is now in this new news article which will be published, haha, i almost feel famous, hehe:

My comment

Well done mate. I often leave comments on the T&A site and do my best to spread the word in their forum too.

HOLA443
HOLA444
You are yet to explain the correlation between job losses in the bread industry and the profits and lifestyles of BTL's.

Perhaps the factory is being turned into luxury investment apartments. sounds like a half-baked idea to me.....Taxi! :ph34r:

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Price of wheat up.

Have you noticed how many oat based cereals are appearing?

Oats grow in worse weather and don't require bees to pollinate them...

china's eating wheat like never before. Drought, flood and fire are attacking food land all over the world.

Chances are the wars will be over food as much as oil.

HOLA4410
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Price of wheat up.

Have you noticed how many oat based cereals are appearing?

Oats grow in worse weather and don't require bees to pollinate them...

china's eating wheat like never before. Drought, flood and fire are attacking food land all over the world.

Chances are the wars will be over food as much as oil.

As long as those inscrutable slopes send us cheap rice.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412