House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
munimula

£12m Property For Sale In Poole

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/display.v...urs_for_12m.php

Yours for £12m...

By Echo Reporter

A five-bedroom house that sits on the edge of a Dorset harbour has gone on sale - for a whopping £12 million.

The luxury abode is benefitting from the so-called "Sandbanks spread" - in which properties near the expensive peninsula in Poole Harbour are seeing their values rise.

The home has 150 feet of water frontage and was built especially for the present owner, so has never been on the market before.

I keep an eye on the Poole & Dorset markets because I may buy in that area in a year or two's time when I retire (boats and marina berths should fall in price even faster than property so that's another good reason to move to Poole!).

However, I get the impression that house prices are stagnating in the area, with plenty of Dorset properties sitting around on "Find a Property" for months on end. I presume you're local to the area, so what's your take on the situation?

I keep an eye on the Poole & Dorset markets because I may buy in that area in a year or two's time when I retire (boats and marina berths should fall in price even faster than property so that's another good reason to move to Poole!).

However, I get the impression that house prices are stagnating in the area, with plenty of Dorset properties sitting around on "Find a Property" for months on end. I presume you're local to the area, so what's your take on the situation?

There are plenty of properties that take a long long time to sell. One on Sandbanks still for sale after many months. This kind of goes against the idea of a property shortage.

Also one house, just by us was for sale for over 8 months at £799K - new build

There is no shortage of properties worth over £500K - perhaps that is the problem

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
There are plenty of properties that take a long long time to sell. One on Sandbanks still for sale after many months. This kind of goes against the idea of a property shortage.

Also one house, just by us was for sale for over 8 months at £799K - new build

There is no shortage of properties worth over £500K - perhaps that is the problem

That and a young population on minimum wages.

That and a young population on minimum wages.

Absolutely, there can't be anywhere in the country more divided.

Poole is a place of two halves, the super-rich and the poor.

It has about 24 of the countries most deprived boroughs.

Wages in the area are very low and well paid jobs practically non existent.

I currently work part-time for a well known bank here in B'mouth and people think that those earning £21K at the bank have won the lottery!!

I currently work part-time for a well known bank here in B'mouth and people think that those earning £21K at the bank have won the lottery!!

Bet I can guess which one! :P

It is interesting, Bournemouth. Most my smarter school friends worked for that well know bank. Others in insurance. The brockenhurst college kids now mostly work in Tesco's in Littledown.

If you move a few miles out of Poole itself do prices drop significantly? And where in the surrounding countryside would you recommend looking?

The middle classes seem to live in areas like Wimborne, just north of Poole/Bournemouth or even out in Dorchester or Christchurch to the other side. As I said Poole is either very low paid or super-rich. Friend just bought in Wimborne, £320K for 4-bed 80's detached in need of some work but Wimborne is OK if not a bit sloany (sp?)

Actually from what I know about the area, Christchurch is a much better place to live. And closer towards New Forest, Lymington etc so generally very nice.

Poole is generally full of low life, just to to the Dolphin Centre in town to see what I mean. Bournemouth is just full of international students and pretty much anybody from everywhere.

You could do a lot worse than to retire to somewhere nice around Christchurch. Pricey for good housing though.

Edited by munimula

The middle classes seem to live in areas like Wimborne, just north of Poole/Bournemouth or even out in Dorchester or Christchurch to the other side. As I said Poole is either very low paid or super-rich. Friend just bought in Wimborne, £320K for 4-bed 80's detached in need of some work but Wimborne is OK if not a bit sloany (sp?)

Actually from what I know about the area, Christchurch is a much better place to live. And closer towards New Forest, Lymington etc so generally very nice.

Poole is generally full of low life, just to to the Dolphin Centre in town to see what I mean. Bournemouth is just full of international students and pretty much anybody from everywhere.

You could do a lot worse than to retire to somewhere nice around Christchurch. Pricey for good housing though.

Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated. Christchurch or Lymington, with a vegetable garden and a little boat to take a few bass out of Poole harbour, sounds a nice way of spending the next twenty years.