House Price Crash Forum

If Some Of You Spent Your Forum Time On Yourselves

This forum cracks me up. I'll tell you what I see. I see a bunch of people with nothing better to do with their time,other than relentlessly try to talk the market down. I think many of you look to this site as some sort of 'messiah' to your woes. Consequently so, some of you are in for a short sharp shock.

Not picking on anyone here, but none the less picking a few examples, I see a chap called Cabman who is just realising the reality of the real world.(ie a crash is not upon us) Cabman don't expect to read anything other than doom and gloom on here, this site does not and will not ever replicate reality.

I see STR'ers putting out press releases complaining of vested interests.

I see someone calling himself 'London Loser' using his time to write a 'thesis' on the market, rather than knuckling down to looking after number one in a constructive fashion. Surely with this approach you will always be a London Loser?

I see someone called ZZG113 with 6000 odd posts to his name. almost 40 posts a day since he joined, then he wonders why he has no house! Pure comedy in motion.

Excuse me here, but that is beyond comprehension to me.Will someone please try and explain to me where someone like this gets their ideas from .ie ''I'll become a full time 'market talker downer', in order to get me a house., you know make a career out of it''

Markets don't work like that. you'll be lucky if 2 or 3,000 people a day see this site (don't forget every time you refresh that counts as a 'hit', and think of how many times an individual goes away and comes back) So if you think you're going to move a market on here, think again. I jokingly said in my last post about this place being a cult, however with the advent of Cabmans post this morning, I'm seeing it as truly being so. His post is like a scene from a movie where the lead realises things aren't as they seem, and realises he's been brainwashed. Followed up by the reassurances of those who are brainwashed that ''everythings ok, it will crash''

What really gets me is the sheer lack of people planning for being wrong. Although I suspect with the verbal abuse the bulls get you prefer to keep things like that off the forum. It wouldn't surprise me if half of you were actively seeking property on the quiet.

I bought a house yesterday (by luck if i'm being honest) with 32k immediate equity (the chap in question needs the money in a matter of days, and just for the record he came to me, and I am giving him 4k more than someone else was going to)

Yes I got this deal through luck, and being in the fortunate position of having the cash in the bank. One thing is for certain, it (nor the money to buy it) didn't come to me from whinging on here 24/7.

My advice. Start thinking and conversing with the non anonymous people in your lives. Try number one for starters.

KOTC.

We're all just waiting for prices to drop even more than they have already simply to avoid paying for overpriced property. Just cos we choose to highlight articles of specific interest relating to that subject doesn't mean we're obsessive, just careful in making the biggest financial commitment of our lives. I don't know about anyone else, but I can't afford to pay more for a property now if theres a chance I could save myself some dosh in a few months time. Congratulations on buying a place, I wish you luck with it. We're just regular people wanting to own a place at some point and swapping info. As for 'having nothing better to do' is that also why we play footie, go to the pictures, go on holiday etc? no, its just another interest running alongside many others, except this one has a huge bear <_< -ing on the rest of our financial lives. Some people have been hurt in many ways by the boom of late, and sharing experiences etc is helpful.

This forum cracks me up. I'll tell you what I see. I see a bunch of people with nothing better to do with their time,other than relentlessly try to talk the market down.

There have been some good posts over the last few months. Agreed that spending too much time on any internet forum is probably not a good thing, but this site has provided a platform for reasoned debate on everyone’s favourite subject. The discussions on financial forums such as the one on the Motley Fool site are not a million miles from this one

just realising the reality of the real world.(ie a crash is not upon us)

You say that the “crash is not upon usâ€. I wouldn’t be so sure of that if I were you. Practically the whole country is anticipating a crash, and there are many indicators that it has just begun. Look at the Nationwide graph. Look at how far from the long term average we are. You are naive if you think that a crash happens over night. It is a long, protracted process over many years where the average house price may drop (say) 0.5% a month in nominal terms, and there will be months where prices rise before dropping the next month.

Excuse me here, but that is beyond comprehension to me.Will someone please try and explain to me where someone like this gets their ideas from .ie ''I'll become a full time 'market talker downer', in order to get me a house., you know make a career out of it''

Widely recognised. As I said, this forum is only a platform for open discussion, The market is the market and this website is for tracking developments rather than actually changing them.

I bought a house yesterday (by luck if i'm being honest) with 32k immediate equity (the chap in question needs the money in a matter of days, and just for the record he came to me, and I am giving him 4k more than someone else was going to)

Yes I got this deal through luck, and being in the fortunate position of having the cash in the bank. One thing is for certain, it (nor the money to buy it) didn't come to me from whinging on here 24/7.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Your point is what then ? You bought a house yesterday ? Congratulations.

This site has contributed to saving me as much as 20k this year. 10k in house price reductions and 10k in the opportunity cost of buying vs. renting.

I am not waiting for every man and his dog to say "we have a house price crash". If Agents call me I will go to viewings, if I see anything interesting on the market I will arrange a viewing.

I am not being called by agents.

I am seeing next to nothing appear on the market.

So I spend time here accumulating the experience and knowlege of others.

Guest wrongmove
My advice. Start thinking and conversing with the non anonymous people in your lives. Try number one for starters.

KOTC.

Well, thanks for that KOTC ! :)

Surely what people do with free time is their business. How is posting on HPC talking the market down ? It is mainly preaching to the converted.

For what it is worth, I like HPC because I am a market bear. This is not a popular line, although my friends are slowly becoming bearish. So HPC allows me to speak my mind to like-minded individuals, and to spar with the handful of bulls that also visit the site. Thus my friends are not offended, and my family are not bored, by my HP opinions.

How about you ?

KOTC,

I see you are another "I'm a doer, not a thinker" type.

So far as I can tell you've posted little of any particular insight on here. Once you make an intelligent point/analysis/insight I might take you seriously. Until then I'll assume you are another joker along with dogbox etc and post here merely to boost the egos of those more able to string an argument together.

As for writing my "thesis" on my time, you clearly haven't grasped the subtle idea that I'm writing it on SOMEONE ELSE'S time. As for you professional landlords, it really is YOUR time, assuming you are not actually writing from the asylum as some people might suggest.

As a newbie, you won't have seen the old threads about my position etc so you won't realise the joke about me having to change my name if my landlord keeps subsidising me every month for much longer (I paid him £5k in the last six months for rent, he paid his bank half of that and then kindly knocked £15k off the asking price of his flat - nice chap, not sure how that makes him any money though).

Some of the numbers are in the discussion I had with TTRTR (I think this is what you mean by my thesis) - feel free to give me your own brand of analysis on this situation and explain why my landlord is a genius for not having sold up a year ago.

Sh1t! I fed the troll.

Don't really know why I am replying to this but why not....

At the end of the day the property market is all a matter of opinion and I would rather consider the advice of as many sources, individuals and institutions as possible before gambling with my money. This site has been very useful for the links and data it provides. If nothing else it is an anti-dote to the buy now whatever your circumstances before it is to late bilge you hear in the popular press and from your average bloke down the pub. For many renting is NOT dead money but a cheap and flexible alternative and a far safer one in a very unstable market. I currently bank a lot of money each month due to the decision to rent rather than buy but will jump back into the market the when the tide has turned in favour of buying and will continue to scrutinise all resources available (this site being just one of many) in order to allow me to make an informed decision. If you don’t like the site why bother to read it let alone post, but the answer is obvious as it’s an excuse to deride the posters here and inflate your own ego. You own bricks and mortar.. Good for you.. Somehow you feel that it makes you morally superior... a bastion of the protestant ethic.. Again good for you now please go away and feel smug in your own superiority unless you have a positive contribution to the debate.

This forum cracks me up. I'll tell you what I see. I see a bunch of people with nothing better to do with their time,other than relentlessly try to talk the market down. I think many of you look to this site as some sort of 'messiah' to your woes. Consequently so, some of you are in for a short sharp shock.

Not picking on anyone here, but none the less picking a few examples, I see a chap called Cabman who is just realising the reality of the real world.(ie a crash is not upon us) Cabman don't expect to read anything other than doom and gloom on here, this site does not and will not ever replicate reality.

I see someone calling himself 'London Loser' using his time to write a 'thesis' on the market, rather than knuckling down to looking after number one in a constructive fashion. Surely with this approach you will always be a London Loser?

I see someone called ZZG113 with 6000 odd posts to his name. almost 40 posts a day since he joined, then he wonders why he has no house! Pure comedy in motion.

Markets don't work like that. you'll be lucky if 2 or 3,000 people a day see this site (don't forget every time you refresh that counts as a 'hit', and think of how many times an individual goes away and comes back) So if you think you're going to move a market on here, think again. I jokingly said in my last post about this place being a cult, however with the advent of Cabmans post this morning, I'm seeing it as truly being so. His post is like a scene from a movie where the lead realises things aren't as they seem, and realises he's been brainwashed. Followed up by the reassurances of those who are brainwashed that ''everythings ok, it will crash''

What really gets me is the sheer lack of people planning for being wrong. Although I suspect with the verbal abuse the bulls get you prefer to keep things like that off the forum. It wouldn't surprise me if half of you were actively seeking property on the quiet.

KOTC.

If this forum is no threat to the market, why post on here then?

The above was obviously not written in five minutes.

In reality you are truly worried, you don't know why you're still buying property.

You have no argument of any credibility to justify further rises.

NOTHING WILL STOP THE CRASH NOW.

For what it is worth, I like HPC because I am a market bear. This is not a popular line, although my friends are slowly becoming bearish. So HPC allows me to speak my mind to like-minded individuals, and to spar with the handful of bulls that also visit the site. Thus my friends are not offended, and my family are not bored, by my HP opinions.

I use the site for the same reason. Only last night I was speaking to mum and she'd just watched Location Location Location (or is it Lies Lies Lies?) and she started banging on about how I was wasting money renting! Help!

KOTC.

I must admit, there is an element of truth in what this person is saying.

We all need to get out more !

But it's just soooooooo addictive :P

DON'T FEED THE TROLL

Oh and congrats you're the first poster I've actually chosen to use the Ignore function on :D

Guys,

KOTC is not scared

KOTC probably doesn't even own a single property

In reality this is probably a 12 yr old kid in a bedroom somewhere. His posts are simply designed to inflame other posters, that's why he takes so long writing them. If you reply you simply give him what he wants, he has no interest in the property market so just ignore him, we have an excellent tool to do just that, just Click Here and Choose Ignore User

Like Guy says:

DON'T FEED THE TROLL

DON'T FEED THE TROLL

This just gets better and better. Are you seriously telling me out of all you people, only one person can see where i'm coming from?

I'm beggining to think many of you are too far down the line for help.

Feel free to chant away your little sayings, and insults, you'll still be chanting them when prices are permanently rising once the current wave of buying activity filters through, into the figures you chaps read.

Aww but feeding the trolls is fun. Come on we need people to laugh at when the big falls start happening. We can't chase them all off with big sticks and pitchforks.

Admittedly though KOTC you have posted a lot for such a short time on the forum. You do realise your only preaching to over a thousand people, and you won't save the crash by trying to convert us.

C'mon stop bitching about the forum and add some value.

Present a clear logical point of view backed up by some real figures (not opinions) and you will get a much better discussion.

Keep talking about us as a bunch of losers and expect the responses you have recieved above. This adds no value to the bull camp and can only serve to strengthen the bears arguments.

Guest wrongmove
KOTC is right.

We all know it.

It's just an uncomfortable truth that we have addictive personalities.

If I spent less time on here I'd get far more done at work and might even get that promotion.

Perhaps, but HPC is more stimulating than soap opera, and less expensive than alcohol !

At last a breath of fresh air. Thank-you.

My own personal situation though KOTC is like this;

I sold my house in 2003, moved abroad to start a business with some of the proceeds (the rest I keep safe for a deposit maybe ?).

I still own part of a very large property in the UK (London - which has been in the family for over 50years and has been a rental property for over 20years).

I do think current house prices are in line for a massive correction, by that I mean what people think their house is worth and what they'll have to eventually have to accept if they seriously want to sell. This will take place over several years (IMO)

I don't have a crystal ball but at the end of the day, it's what you're confortable doing (renting, buying, moving abroad etc).

I certainly haven't regretted moving abroad one bit (it's been a real eyeopener and enriching experience), even though it has taken me time to adjust.

Not entirely sure I'll ever return to the UK.

But I probably will come back when it's time to do so (in around 5+years time) purely for investment purposes.

Good luck.

(P.S. I *know* my next door neighbour in the UK recently tried to sell their house for 12% more than we sold ours, and they couldn't sell. That's 18months after we sold ours). Also, my sister just recently sold her house in London accepting 10% less than it was on the market for. So I think there are reductions going on and I think this will continue (IMHO).