House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mancghirl

Possibility Of Quick Election?

Weird letter on the doormat this am.

Brown envelope from the Lothian Joint Valuation Board, who are responsible for maintaining the Register of Electors round my way. to check my details. The front is emblazoned with URGENT!!!! Send this back NOW!!! type wording.

Now, I only registered to vote in March (pre Holyrood elections) having moved from elsewhere. If memory serves, the Register of Electors 'are your details correct?' letter normally turns up in the autumn round about October time.

How odd that it has now turned up in August.....hmm. <_<

Strange that, I got a form hand delivered on the doormat this morning.

Hardly surprising. If Brown goes for an October election, he'll trounce the so-called Tories. If he hangs on, he's a complete muppet. hundreds of thousands of mortgages are being reset over the coming year, recession is looming and the sheeple ALWAYS blame the government.

If Brown dithers and displays his Scottish caution, then Cameron's back in the game.

It's the economy STOOPID!

Guest d23
Strange that, I got a form hand delivered on the doormat this morning.

I got it last week; it had strong wording about how people would be visiting me if I didn't return it too

interesting

Brown envelope from the Lothian Joint Valuation Board, who are responsible for maintaining the Register of Electors round my way. to check my details. The front is emblazoned with URGENT!!!! Send this back NOW!!! type wording.

Now, I only registered to vote in March (pre Holyrood elections) having moved from elsewhere. If memory serves, the Register of Electors 'are your details correct?' letter normally turns up in the autumn round about October time.

Same for woking surrey, my first thought...election looming

Great. Go to the polls now, whilst the SNP are at 50% in the opinion polls. Lose lots of Scottish MPs (the ones who are propping up your majority).

The economy must be TOTALLY fecked if he wants to go to the country this soon :lol::lol:

Edited by Mancghirl

Isn't it good that even though he's the focus of much derision on here, we're all gunning for him to win the next election by calling it early to avoid the catastrophic consequences of faked inflation stats, interest rates and the resultant monumental mortgage debt due to go bad shortly?

Funny, I never thought of him as the "lovable rogue".

Edited by AvidFan

Isn't it good that even though he's the focus of much derision on here, we're all gunning for him to win the next election by calling it early to avoid the catastrophic consequences of faked inflation stats, interest rates and the resultant monumental mortgage debt due to go bad shortly?

Funny, I never thought of him as the "lovable rogue".

If he does call it early and gets in for five years (a done deal) then he might, just might, actually greenlight measures that are needed to salvage the mess.

If he hangs on even until the spring he'll be doing his best to suppress interest rates and keep the HPI and borrowing wagon rolling in the meantime.

Almost certainly better for the economy to call it sooner and win it than to hang on and have to pull out all the economic stops to get popular support.

I'll be happy if Brown calls a snap election as that will be a good indicator for me that Gordie thinks (knows) that HPI is dead (9/8/7 GF ;) )

Also, I voted labout last time and I want the chance to rectify my error sooner rather than later. :P

I have one too (Brighton & Hove), but it says "We will use this form to produce a revised version of the register that will apply for elections held between 1 December 2007 and 30th November 2008", so I wouldn't read too much into it.

I Got one to!!

Wouldn't it be better if we all voted Big Dave?

He would pick up the reins and think "what the feck has happened here", not be able to juggle it all, everything comes crashing down, everyone hates the tories again and Miliband will be the next prime minister in 2012!! Just in time for the cycle to begin again!

http://www.people.co.uk/news/tm_headline=o...-name_page.html

OCTOBER 25

EXCLUSIVE Brown poised to call a snap election Predicted to beat Tories by 160 seats Landslide would be the end for Cameron

By Nigel Nelson Political Editor Nigel.Nelson@People.Co.Uk

Premier Gordon Brown's top aides are urging him to call a snap election this autumn to finish off Tory leader David Cameron.

Computer predictions give Labour 160 more MPs than the Tories if Mr Brown goes to the country on October 25.

That would mean the PM enjoying an overall majority of 108 compared to the current 67, allowing him to stay in power a full five years.

Mr Cameron's continued leadership depends on being able to halve Labour's majority, putting him in a position to become PM the election after this one. One senior minister told The People: "If he doesn't reduce our majority then he's toast.

"We are bringing our fundraising forward so we are ready for an October 25 poll."

Mr Brown's landslide is predicted by forecasters Electoral Calculus run by City whizkid Martin Baxter who was only one seat out when Tony Blair won his massive 1997 victory.

Mr Baxter now gives Labour 379 seats - up 28 from their current 351 - with the Tories on 219. The Prime Minister could announce the election just as Mr Cameron rallies his troops at his Blackpool conference in October.

And an October date means Mr Brown would get the election out of the way before the controversial EU treaty is signed and the economy and housing market weakens next year.

Labour Party vice-chairman Martin Salter said: "I can confirm that the party has been put on alert for an early election as soon as autumn."

Can't they ask the MPC to lower rates ?

I wouldn't read too much into it. I used to live in Lothian until recently and they were pretty regular at sending this kind of thing out, to keep the electoral register up to date. Not to makes sure you are registered to vote, but to make sure they know how much council tax to have off you.

I dont think so, with a storm brewing on a number of fronts, such as the economy and law and order in the last few days, i dont think Browns in any position to pull an election off.

It's the economy STOOPID!

Well said that man. Its what its always been about, but the Tories don't stand a chance until Mew Labour are exposed as economically incompetent.

it set alarm bells ringing ... we're in the home counties...

Gordon Brown win = loadsmoretax to fund/buy Labour voters in Scotland, Wales and the North.

If he wins I confidently expect more property taxes - council tax adjustments, new stamp duty rates and bands, tax on second home owners of some sort.