House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

" Britons Flee For A Better Life " House Prices, Cold Calling

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/business/n...92d8c31913a.lpf

Britons flee for a better life

Cold calling, rudeness in public places and political correctness are driving us to buy property abroad, finds a new report from Foreign Exchange Direct.
With a record 13 billion cold calls made to British numbers last year, cold calling, at 72%, is the most popular gripe, followed by swearing in public, and "political correctness gone mad".
Immigration laws, taxes, public transport delays and house prices also all featured strongly as reasons for buying abroad.
Peter S Ellis, ceo of FCD, said: "Our latest research adds weight to the evidence that people are falling out of love with Britain. Anti-social behaviour and Government policies are forcing us to look elsewhere so we can pursue a life we can only dream of in Britain.
"We are seeing an increasing number of Britons bailing out and relocating abroad in order to capture the long-lost sense of community spirit."

Message to Tories: Take note, formulate a policy based thereon and win next GE.

I'm off to Brittany is September to check out property over there as I am not sure about Gordon's Britain even after Great Crash 2 has laid waste to his hideously twisted house prices.

I think people have been bailing out for a while now haven't they? Most return after 3 years, probably because they don't really try to integrate or learn the languages of the places they move to, unless they're moving to communities in regions like Spain, where the invasion is so great they don't need to speak the local language.

I'm off to France next year, but my moving has nothing to do with leaving Britain because I'm fed up with it. I mean I am fed up with many aspects of British life, but I'd be moving regardless, and I'm sure there's enough problems in France to give me a new set of pet grievances. :D

Guest anorthosite

I hope these immigrants don't push up the house prices in the countries they emmigrate to. :lol:

Haha! Every place I went to in my tour around France this summer, there was always somebody talking about the invasion of the British to certain regions of France, and how it was screwing over the locals. They were still very nice and friendly, and I could only agree with where they were coming from. Many mention Dordogne as being totally overrun by the Brits.

I think people have been bailing out for a while now haven't they? Most return after 3 years, probably because they don't really try to integrate or learn the languages of the places they move to, unless they're moving to communities in regions like Spain, where the invasion is so great they don't need to speak the local language.

I'm off to France next year, but my moving has nothing to do with leaving Britain because I'm fed up with it. I mean I am fed up with many aspects of British life, but I'd be moving regardless, and I'm sure there's enough problems in France to give me a new set of pet grievances. :D

I think that article is talking about me.

Only been in Aus for 3 months but already mastered the language.

No worries mate.

I think that article is talking about me.

Only been in Aus for 3 months but already mastered the language.

No worries mate.

:D Nice one Bruce!

Actually I think there's still a bit of a culture shock for some Brits down under. Personally I think the laid back lifestyle and sunshine sounds pretty sweet, but I'd miss the lack of history and culture there. Are flies a nuisance too, or is it only some parts of the country? Best get your hat with the corks, then you'll really fit in!

Cold calling, rudeness in public places and political correctness are driving us to buy property abroad, finds a new report from Foreign Exchange Direct.
With a record 13 billion cold calls made to British numbers last year, cold calling, at 72%, is the most popular gripe, followed by swearing in public, and "political correctness gone mad".
Immigration laws, taxes, public transport delays and house prices also all featured strongly as reasons for buying abroad.
Peter S Ellis, ceo of FCD, said: "Our latest research adds weight to the evidence that people are falling out of love with Britain. Anti-social behaviour and Government policies are forcing us to look elsewhere so we can pursue a life we can only dream of in Britain.
"We are seeing an increasing number of Britons bailing out and relocating abroad in order to capture the long-lost sense of community spirit."

I'm off to Brittany is September to check out property over there as I am not sure about Gordon's Britain even after Great Crash 2 has laid waste to his hideously twisted house prices.

I can relate to much of that with the exception of the cold calling bit - I can't think of anywhere in the civilised world that actually has less of it and there are many that have a lot more.

I hope these immigrants don't push up the house prices in the countries they emmigrate to. :lol:

Bloody foreigners eh? The come over here driving up house prices, not bothering to learn the language, cooking funny smelling food etc. Hang on, no, er....

Bloody foreigners eh? The come over here driving up house prices, not bothering to learn the language, cooking funny smelling food etc. Hang on, no, er....

This'd be funny if it weren't so true - ask a Spaniard or Cypriot... <_<

I've just got back from a couple of weeks staying in Germany's Rheinland-Pfalz countryside. An area where £17k would be more than a 30% deposit on a sizable detached house. I spent much of the time tilling the land of my grandma's ancestral home - and the nights getting lashed on comedically cheap German beer from Aldi (€1.69 for six 500ml bottles) - but it's good and chemical free. One particularly surreal experience one night was watching Monty Python's 'And Now For Something Completely Different' translated (very accurately) into German on telly - which incredibly included in full one of the sketches that had Hitler in it. :o

For comparison her 4 bed house with an acre of land wouldn't fetch much more than €100,000.

And it's things like that that reconfirm my decisions to keep out of the UK market. Not that I have any choice as an FTB any more. I'm not quite sure about village life, but hey, give me a decent Internet connection and an intensive German course and I'm sure I could handle it. :P To be honest I didn't miss the net all that much at all.

It's offski for me too if the Isle of Man doesnt work out.

No way am I going back to that fskcing zoo they used to call England.

Time for a thread on here for ex-pats and would-be expats to exchange hints and tips?

For example, if Canada says its crying out for skilled workers then why does it make it such a pain in the a55 to actually become one? Five grand in the hole* and a four year wait** after a lifetime of education and career building isn't exactly what I'd call the red carpet treatment! Surely someone must have a better way?!

*Processing fees, tickets, shipping, cash conversion etc - conservative estimate.

**Current visa processing times as per Canadian immigration website

Edited by adren

Guest d23

You're aware this data is from an survey by FCD who offer currency management services for brits moving abroad right?

Good luck to you if you do pop over to France RB, my parents are moving to the south of France; I hope it works out for them altho emigrating isn't always that rosy; I gave it a try and it didn't work out for me (or you IIRC)

not sure Brittany is going to be that much better off or any more utopian than the Midlands RB; Do you reckon there's much call for your profession out there?

May I start by saying: I do think this country is going to pot under Nu Labour.

HOWEVER,

What I'm asking myself is, if it's so God-awful here and us Brits are leaving in droves to escape, then what on earth must it be like in countries like Poland, as they are flooding in as if Britain is some kind of paradise.

It makes you think.... are we really that hard done by?

You're aware this data is from an survey by FCD who offer currency management services for brits moving abroad right?

Good luck to you if you do pop over to France RB, my parents are moving to the south of France; I hope it works out for them altho emigrating isn't always that rosy; I gave it a try and it didn't work out for me (or you IIRC)

not sure Brittany is going to be that much better off or any more utopian than the Midlands RB; Do you reckon there's much call for your profession out there?

So long as I have a decent broadband hookup I can pretty much operate from anywhere.

France is supposed to have a good NHS service which helps if you are over 40. Population density is low in France so I am sure they dont have the same attitiude we have here with all and sundry trying to mover in.

Brittany is supposed to be nice and easy to access the UK if you need to do some business trips. With houses costing about one third of current UK levels it is tempting. So far, the new president looks reasonable.

For comparison her 4 bed house with an acre of land wouldn't fetch much more than €100,000.

How many times the local average income is this?

If anyone is really enough of a stroppy drawers that they'd leave the country to avoid cold callers then good riddance to them.

Yes, I can't help thinking that, if cold calling was your main issue, paying for a call screening service would be a lot cheaper fix than moving to another country.

Haha! Every place I went to in my tour around France this summer, there was always somebody talking about the invasion of the British to certain regions of France, and how it was screwing over the locals. They were still very nice and friendly, and I could only agree with where they were coming from. Many mention Dordogne as being totally overrun by the Brits.

I like the Charente which isn't totally overun with Brits (Still quite a few though)

HOWEVER,

What I'm asking myself is, if it's so God-awful here and us Brits are leaving in droves to escape, then what on earth must it be like in countries like Poland, as they are flooding in as if Britain is some kind of paradise.

It depends. It's the job market. Places like Poland have no opportunities for their youngsters, much better here for them.

Also, Spain and Italy, for example, don't really offer anything to skilled professionals, bureaucracy is immpossible to cope with and it got bloody expensive down there.

HOWEVER,

I think most of the gripes are whipped up by the media. If you are not living on a council estate and can afford a reasonably decent life (as most people can) the the UK really isnt that bad at all. The article itself gives the game away...cold calling is the biggest gripe..i mean, 60 years ago we were being bombed to feck and literally faced the eradication of our civilisation.

Griping and moaning about england is as english as vinegar on our pomme frites. She's a battered old bird but the grass aint always greener (im writing this BTW from a beautiful farmhouse in Burgundy). Nice place, but wouldnt want to live here....

au revoir.

Edited by BTLlivingthedream

So long as I have a decent broadband hookup I can pretty much operate from anywhere.

France is supposed to have a good NHS service which helps if you are over 40. Population density is low in France so I am sure they dont have the same attitiude we have here with all and sundry trying to mover in.

Brittany is supposed to be nice and easy to access the UK if you need to do some business trips. With houses costing about one third of current UK levels it is tempting. So far, the new president looks reasonable.

I'm live in the south of France. If you move, I recommend you stay well away from any English-speaking clubs, associations for the first 12-18mnths as you'll never pick up the language. Go to your local Maire (town hall) and ask what French classes they offer. If you've been paying local income tax (rates), you will get the lessons for free or very cheap. You'll be in classes full of immigrants who want to speak the mother tongue - a great way to learn quickly.

Also, try to watch and listen to French tv and radio in the first year. You'll pick up the language 4x as fast than if you had your SKY dish installed. Basics such as reading the daily paper in French also help.

All in all, if you put your mind to it, you should be able to get up to a good speed/level within 12months. You'll have aricher social life also. And will be able to deal with most problems that French administration throw at you.

Btw, the myth of France drowning in admin is just that - a myth. You can pay all you Gas/electric by the internet. You can pay local taxes and yearly taxes by the net. You no longer have to go to queue for the correct papers.

Even the Resident's Card (Carte de Sejour) is no longer mandatory. To be honest, a driving licence or passport is better for ID in shops/banks.

As for the comparitive health systems - jour et nuit, mon vieux ;)

Also, Spain and Italy, for example, don't really offer anything to skilled professionals, bureaucracy is immpossible to cope with and it got bloody expensive down there.

Don't confuse the Spanish economy with the moribund Italian one.

There are many opportunities for skilled professionals in Spain right now. It is still the fastest growing major economy in Europe (4.6%pa), but of course you must speak Spanish! Good news for the Argentinians, Venezuelans, Peruvians etc. Only downside is the flood of un-skilled Romanians there causing trouble.

The housing market has slowed down, even negative in places but this is largely confined to areas where the British & German ex-pats live (i.e. the COstas where the house building bubble was greatest) Things are much more stable in the cities. Barcelona, Valencia and cities in the North in particular are doing very nicely right now and the outlook is pretty good.

Don't confuse the Spanish economy with the moribund Italian one.

There are many opportunities for skilled professionals in Spain right now. It is still the fastest growing major economy in Europe (4.6%pa), but of course you must speak Spanish! Good news for the Argentinians, Venezuelans, Peruvians etc. Only downside is the flood of un-skilled Romanians there causing trouble.

The housing market has slowed down, even negative in places but this is largely confined to areas where the British & German ex-pats live (i.e. the COstas where the house building bubble was greatest) Things are much more stable in the cities. Barcelona, Valencia and cities in the North in particular are doing very nicely right now and the outlook is pretty good.

Well, for the record I do speak spanish fluently and Italian is my mother tongue. I was offshored by my company to Spain for a few months in 2006, and I took the chance to look around for a career move while I was there. Nothing. It's a very closed job market.

Concerning Italy, the economy always seems moribound, that's the trick they play to the rest of the world. The reality is far from it, with only some 40% of the population paying the taxes they're supposed to pay. It's all hidden, and the only chance you have to land a good job with real career prospects is to either know a local politician or be related to someone important. Otherwise it's just call centres and temporary contracts.

The real issue is that the UK is becoming like that too.

edited for typos

Edited by stuckmojo

I love France, and could happily live there too.

As a couple of others have pointed out, there is something a little ironic about people emigrating from the UK because they are fed up with... immigrants :lol:

But good luck, if you really are going, BR.

Edited by crashtart