House Price Crash Forum

An Asperger Syndrome Support Group

Viterbi

HOLA441

Considering that around 90% of the people who post on here work in IT or engineering, then I presume that many of you will have heard of Asperger syndrome.

Have any of you come across an organisation called Asperger Technical before? Its website is http://www.aspergertechnical.org.uk

If so, then do you know much about them? I don't think they were around this time last year when I did my roundup of Asperger syndrome support groups for children and teenagers.

HOLA442
Considering that around 90% of the people who post on here work in IT or engineering, then I presume that many of you will have heard of Asperger syndrome.

Have any of you come across an organisation called Asperger Technical before? Its website is http://www.aspergertechnical.org.uk

If so, then do you know much about them? I don't think they were around this time last year when I did my roundup of Asperger syndrome support groups for children and teenagers.

Aspies are basically consciencious nice people and are highly unlikely to commit any crime. They are also often gifted in some way.

However they can indirectly often cause bad conseqences. In particular I have known an Aspie IT manager and an Aspie IT company owner who were to oblivious to a widespread corporate bullying culture. I think Aspie managers are never a good idea.

HOLA443
HOLA444
Aspies are basically consciencious nice people and are highly unlikely to commit any crime. They are also often gifted in some way.

The gifted aspect of Aspergers and Autism is somewhat of a myth. I think only about 1-2 percent of cases might have a special gift. The belief that all (or most) people who have this condition have a special talent has probably come from films such as Rain Man (I guess similar to the belief the all people with Tourettes swear all the time). Someone with Aspergers or Autism is an individual, so whether they are a nice person or likely to commit a crime will come down to the personality of the individual.

HOLA445
The gifted aspect of Aspergers and Autism is somewhat of a myth. I think only about 1-2 percent of cases might have a special gift. The belief that all (or most) people who have this condition have a special talent has probably come from films such as Rain Man (I guess similar to the belief the all people with Tourettes swear all the time). Someone with Aspergers or Autism is an individual, so whether they are a nice person or likely to commit a crime will come down to the personality of the individual.

I think you are referring to an autistic savant. My experience of children and teenagers with Asperger syndrome is that very few of them have any savant skill, although most are of higher than average intelligence for their age and many have a very good knowledge of particular subjects such as computer programming, astronomy, history, maths, Star Wars, nuclear power stations, classic cars, etc. They don't tend to take much interest in popular culture or fashion, although I have encountered Harry Potter and Pokemon obsessives.

I'm not so sure where the connection between crime and Asperger syndrome is. I think it could be the result that they don't understand the law very well or lack awareness that something is illegal, therefore end up inadvertently breaking the law as opposed to deliberately setting out to commit a crime. Law isn't something taught in schools and most people learn what is and isn't illegal via word of mouth or picking up social cues. This is something that people with Asperger syndrome are not very good at.

A lot of what is written about Asperger syndrome in the mainstream press (including the Daily Mail) is completely different to what I have experienced whilst tutoring children and teenagers with the condition. I don't think journalists really understand Asperger syndrome so create juicy stories that are factually incorrect.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA446
However they can indirectly often cause bad conseqences. In particular I have known an Aspie IT manager and an Aspie IT company owner who were to oblivious to a widespread corporate bullying culture. I think Aspie managers are never a good idea.

One obvious question is: how would you know? Asperger Syndrome wasn't even officially recognised before 1995, and it's apparently very difficult to get a diagnosis as an adult. As a result, very few people of working age have been diagnosed with this condition by a professional.

I suspect that most adult "Aspies" are either self-diagnosed, or were "outed" by well-meaning friends and colleagues who read some articles about it on the internet. Some of these armchair psychiatrists have an "Aspie sense" that is constantly tingling - they think they can identify closet Aspies on sight, or even work out which historical figures had the syndrome (Isaac Newton is a popular choice, I believe).

One problem with this is that the diagnostic criteria are so vague they might apply to just about any man who isn't a complete extrovert. Most men have hobbies and obsessions to varying degrees, and it's pretty much an accepted fact that males in general aren't as socially skilled as females, or as adept at picking up on things like body language. (A very common reaction from women who find out about the syndrome is "that sounds just like my husband/boyfriend!") One passage on that Asperger Technical site really stood out to me:

Most people with Asperger syndrome prefer to talk about the projects they are working on, or topics that interest them such as astronomy or classic cars. They often don't want to participate in gossip about people, or conversations about popular culture that many neurotypical people follow such as celebrities, television soaps, or sports events.

But gossiping, and talking about celebrities and soaps, is something that WOMEN do!!! :blink: The things they are describing just sound like normal male behaviour to me, at least for non-extrovert males. (Sports events, fair enough, but sport can be an obsession to men just as much as classic cars or any other subject.) It's stuff like this that makes me wonder if the whole thing is all a crock.

HOLA447

Oh hello there-now how on EARTH did I miss this thread??? :blink: Im an AS person-please PLEASE dont let me catch any of you here use the word 'SUFFERER' in this context ;) Agree ruffian-Im self diagnosed though my kids have had assessments and so on. There are lots and lots of myths, theories and so on relating to Aspergers syndrome and autistic spectrum disorders in general. It can be both a gift and a curse-I think the trick to coping is firstly recognising what is going on and investing in the positives and not letting the negatives weigh you down too much. FWIW as far as Im concerned the negatives mostly amount to the fact its not us that's got the problem nearly so much as society seems to have a problem with us in my experience. Understanding makes a lot of difference.

Ruffian you make an interesting point regarding the male thing-are you familiar with Simon Baron Cohen (yep that's right-Ali Gs brother :) ) and his opinion/research in this area-he has this whole extreme male brain theory going on but I dont think its the WHOLE picture by any stretch. MMR was DEFINITELY a big fat red herring regarding the causes of autism though I do not doubt for a second that many parents witnessed their children regress because of vaccine damage-Ive heard some really sad stories in this respect. My theory regarding Aspergers in particular is more along the lines of evolution, genetics and so on as most of us can agree on the apparent genetic handing down of the traits. Im endlessly fascinated by the neuro-typical attempts to ascribe their own sets of values and rules to people like us and end up wondering why we just wont conform 'godamit' lol :D I'll be back to you on this thread-bit busy now but as Jimmy Cricket said 'there's more' :)

HOLA448
One obvious question is: how would you know? Asperger Syndrome wasn't even officially recognised before 1995, and it's apparently very difficult to get a diagnosis as an adult. As a result, very few people of working age have been diagnosed with this condition by a professional.

I have done quite a lot of study of psychology. My diagnosis of Aspergers for these people, fits like a glove like nothing else and explains an awful lot. One fact or that reinforces my diagnosis that they were virtually all male which is totally consistent with what is known about Aspergers. The people I have identified as having Aspergers have very similar traits, although i met them working for completely different unrelated companies. One very common thing is that they have unusually soft voices, they commonly work doing accounting or software engineering. They tend to have narrow interests. They usually completely avoid eye contact. They have a big problem reading people and are oblivious to any bullying that is going on to themselves or those around them. They rarely volunteer information. They rarely do anything malicious (less so than non-Aspies) although there can be unintended unfortunate consequences.

I am sure the incidence of Aspie managers is quite high and they never make good managers as they have problems relating to other people. They usually avoid criticising anyone.

I didnt know that they had Aspergers at the time. It is only recently that I worked it out.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Kid's bored out of his brain in maths - give him ritalin and call him AHDD.

Kid loves maths more than socializing - call him Aspergers.

Psychotwaddle, all of it, a plan to get everyone diagnosed with something so they can be manipulated by professionals, big pharma and the state.

Exactly, kids with AHDD,should get a kick up the ass,

About the Aspergers/Autism, there is a very strong case for it, as i have a son with the symptoms who attends a special needs school with this condition, the kids clearly have a lot of problems socially with severe panic attacks, and i respect the teachers and carers +parents who help with these kiddies. :)

Also wouldn't want to have my son any other way now.

But i agree that a lot of so-called conditions are manipulated by professionals, who can add more patients to their lists $$$$ and research more to their need of creating more work/jobs $$$$.

HOLA4411
Kid's bored out of his brain in maths - give him ritalin and call him AHDD.

Kid loves maths more than socializing - call him Aspergers.

Psychotwaddle, all of it, a plan to get everyone diagnosed with something so they can be manipulated by professionals, big pharma and the state.

ADHD is a little controversial but in general I find working out psychological types to be very useful. Most of us do not behave in rational ways and it is fascinating to understand it all. And i dont represent "professionals, big pharma and the state".

HOLA4412

Once again your resentful toxic ignorant persona comes to the fore BENEFIT SPONGER. Please do tell us all how you know so much about ADHD and how a 'kick up the ****' will cure it? THAT my friend is pure ignorance-might I also suggest that all that pent up hatred and animosity isnt very good for your blood pressure?!

WHILE I agree that pharmaceuticals and many others besides try to profit from these conditions they are nonetheless very real and clearly identifiable. They are not always a disorder as such except within the limited scope and perception of people who like to think they themselves are 'normal'. It is very often the case that Aspergers are above average intelligence-oh and guess what Im a girl so i a bit of a minority on that score-OBVIOUSLY in the dumbed down education system we have today this is a BIG problem and these children are seen as a threat and a major pain in the **** because we always want to know why why WHY and thats too much work for most teachers these days pure and simple. ADHD is very often a comorbid condition that accompanies autistic spectrum disorder and as it happens is something I have along with one of my sons. Sooo Id love to know what you would think BENEFIT SPONGER (oh how appropriate because I cant see you doing anything else being as utterly dumb as you appear on here) if one of those special school teachers decided your child just needed their **** kicking-tell you what you're welcome to try kicking mine or my son's and see where it would get you-I'd even let you wear your best pair of DMs. PS Oh and please dont try and get all jockified "och aye Im so scary cos I can type scottish ******** cos I think it intimidates people" either like the last time you tried to make a personal attack on me on this board for NO apparent reason-it just makes you look like a braindead, knuckledragging tw@t-there is that personal enough for you?! Its one thing having heated debates and differences of opinion but clearly you cant differentiate between that and just being rude and ignorant for its own sake. Oh and Id keep a tissue handy for the next vitriolic hissy fit you have cos you may need to wipe your screen :P I really REALLY feel sorry for any kid of yours but then I suppose the poor little sod is being indoctrinated with your hatefilled slant on life already, never mind eh. Have a nice day dickhead.

Archived