House Price Crash Forum
stew

Chancellor: Nothing To Worry About

The Chancellor Alistair Darling has told Sky News there is no need to panic over the stock markets crisis because the UK economy is sound.

Sky video interview

No 'real' answers given, just typical politician speak.

Edited by stew

Guest X-QUORK

I think Gordo must've left Alistair his little book of Spinning as a parting gift. I particularly liked the way he more or less implied that the Sub-Prime meltdown was a US issue in a niche part of the mortgage market!

I think Gordo must've left Alistair his little book of Spinning as a parting gift. I particularly liked the way he more or less implied that the Sub-Prime meltdown was a US issue in a niche part of the mortgage market!

Its a lesson on how to look daft. They will look so dumb shortly. AS I said the govt is doing the old looking over the castle walls, saying they can see nothing when the enemy is crossing the moat.

Its a lesson on how to look daft. They will look so dumb shortly. AS I said the govt is doing the old looking over the castle walls, saying they can see nothing when the enemy is crossing the moat.

:lol: Very Good ;)

Thought police!

Don't think about the bad things. People should concentrate on the past...60 whatevers of growth, bla, bla. Keep taking your prozac and will be well. Our economy based on selling CDOs is very sound, carry on.

The Chancellor Alistair Darling has told Sky News there is no need to panic over the stock markets crisis because the UK economy is sound.

Shy video interview

'Sound fundamentals'

Now there's an over-used, meaningless phrase if ever I saw one.

Typically followed by some muttering about 'low inflation and low unemployment'.

Whenever these politicos / fund managers / estate agents / mortgage lenders come out with this, what we need is one of those 'the past is not necessarily an indicator of future performance' messages showing up on screen. Because, effectively, these guys are providing financial advice, based exclusively on historical happenings. Very bad financial advice too, from the look of it.

He's only saying what people want to hear - because he knows that that is what they want to hear. It is also what he believes, and what he wants to believe.

And people believe him, by and large.

Guest X-QUORK
He's only saying what people want to hear - because he knows that that is what they want to hear. It is also what he believes, and what he wants to believe.

Then they deserve everything they will get.

I had the impression seeing it, that Alistair was thinking, F U Gordo for dropping me in this, wish i'd never taken this sodding job, what was i thinking.

Just out of interest, what are Mr Darling's qualifications to run one of the largest economies in the world..? :unsure:

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Shy video interview

When the chancellor says there's nothing to worry about, that means there is a lot to worry about.

Just out of interest, what are Mr Darling's qualifications to run one of the largest economies in the world..? :unsure:

http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page1386.asp

"Mr Darling attended Loretto School, Musselburgh, and studied law at Aberdeen University.

He worked as a solicitor in Edinburgh before being called to the Scottish Bar and admitted to the Faculty of Advocates in 1984. He has been the Member of Parliament for Edinburgh Central since 1987.

Before becoming an MP, he was a member of Lothian Regional Council, and Chairman of the Council's Transport Committee."

Thank Christ for that! He sounds a bit *over* qualified for the job! ;)

When Kruschev was forced out of office in the Soviet Union, he wrote two letters for his successor. One was addressed, "Open me if you have a crisis." The second one was addressed, "Open me if you have a second crisis." Sure enough, something went wrong and Kruschev's successor had a crisis. He opened the first envelope, and it said, "Blame it on me." So the successor blamed it all on Kruschev, and everything got better. Not long after, a second crisis came up. The successor opened the leter, and it began, "Write two letters..."

can't be long now...

At the very least you can be sure he has a CSE in Maths, worry not!

:)

Guest AuntJess
Thought police!

Don't think about the bad things. People should concentrate on the past...60 whatevers of growth, bla, bla. Keep taking your prozac and will be well. Our economy based on selling CDOs is very sound, carry on.

Interesting comments on R4 this am. An Ozzie doctor has decided that we are all taking anti-deps. too readily, that what we are suffering now, is not real depression but that which is part of the ebb and flow of human moods.

No shit Sherlock!

Many in this country ARE gloomy: not surprising when they have had their lives turned upside down, by a bunch of nincompoops who could not organise a piss-up in a brewery!

Edited by AuntJess

quite right, the mood has been dark amongst the population for quite some time. Miserable ba^tards and rightly so, when you have a govt that simply would fail to notice trouble, act on it or quite simply could not organize an orgy in a whorehouse.

Guest X-QUORK
It's getting bad, maybe they need to wheel out the big guns:

It's Alright.

A most exquisite find lardboy and very fitting. I hold you responsible for the fact that I'm not only going to be wasting time watching the FTSE today, but also finding Day To Dat clips on YouTube.

Edited by X-QUORK

A most exquisite find lardboy and very fitting. I hold you responsible for the fact that I'm not only going to be wasting time watching the FTSE today, but also finding Day To Dat clips on YouTube.

It seemed an apposite way to make a first post on HPC in these days of panic! Enjoy The Day Today searching, they're all gold. Have a look out for the Armando Iannucci shows as well. The start of episode 1 is a scorcher and entirely appropriate for the site.

Ah, here it is: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nwK3pz1lmJA

Edited by lardboy

I believe you.