House Price Crash Forum

Today's Guardian: "banks Will Go Bust"

HOLA441

From today's Guardian:

A top-performing fund manager warned yesterday that the markets turmoil would result in "one of the greatest banking crises in decades".

Ken Murray of Edinburgh-based Blue Planet - whose Worldwide Financials Investment Trust has been one of the best-performing financial funds in recent years - said: "The credit cycle has turned, bad debts are soaring, banks will go bust and stock markets will fall much further.".............

Guardian

HOLA442
HOLA443
well he's right so far.

got take your hat off to him for pulling out in May when everyone else was still piling into stocks though.

I shifted an endowment assurance from stocks to bonds in May. Just as a warning: I'll shift from bonds to gold soon (for this I have to cancel the insurance, though). I totally agree with cgnao that the flight into government bonds at the moment will become one of the biggest financial traps ever. Western government bonds are rubbish - look at the deficits, ageing population, and declining manufacturing base.

Edited by Goldfinger

HOLA444
HOLA445
I shifted an endowment assurance from stocks to bonds in May. Just as a warning: I'll shift from bonds to gold soon (for this I have to cancel the insurance, though). I totally agree with cgnao that the flight into government bonds at the moment will become one of the biggest financial traps ever. Western government bonds are rubbish - look at the deficits, ageing population, and declining manufacturing base.

Hi GF, quick question: what do you think about more mundane savings such as NS&I ISAs for example... still risky?

HOLA446
Hi GF, quick question: what do you think about more mundane savings such as NS&I ISAs for example... still risky?

First, I am no financial advisor. What I can say is that I have no confidence in the bond market in general. I am also very suspicious of banks/the finance sector at the moment, which is why I tend more and more to manage my finances/investments/speculations myself.

I agree with some people here that cash will do better than many other things over the next few years - not better than PMs though, but that is MHO anyway. When holding larger amounts of cash, I would spread it over several banking groups and if invested in bonds I would try to stay in short maturities since IR fluctuations have less of an impact there (I expect IRs to become more volatile when things with China become less rosy - we see the beginning of this already).

HOLA447
First, I am no financial advisor. What I can say is that I have no confidence in the bond market in general. I am also very suspicious of banks/the finance sector at the moment, which is why I tend more and more to manage my finances/investments/speculations myself.

I agree with some people here that cash will do better than many other things over the next few years - not better than PMs though, but that is MHO anyway. When holding larger amounts of cash, I would spread it over several banking groups and if invested in bonds I would try to stay in short maturities since IR fluctuations have less of an impact there (I expect IRs to become more volatile when things with China become less rosy - we see the beginning of this already).

Thanks GF. BTW just had a Britannia just arived from Bairds... not as nice as me Pandas but hey ho... :)

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Where do you stash all this gold?

In a pirate trunk in the woods, with a map marked X?

Safety deposit box I guess?

From the look of his Avatar, I'd guess somewhere close to his heart but a little more southward.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
From the look of his Avatar, I'd guess somewhere close to his heart but a little more southward.

:lol: Preciousssssss!

Ha ha! Oh well, will probably serve me right if they are :D

I have only one Panda. There is a stain on the coin. :( But seems like original packaging (wrote this in another thread anyway - no worries about the stain).

BTW, my sovereigns have arrived. Excitement!