House Price Crash Forum
crash2006

Large Investment Banks Knew What Was Going To Happen

They knew what was going to happen, if you look at the past 2 years they have been selling off their property. They timed the market right.

Now you mention it..

We rent part of our offices from Barclays - they have sold this property plus a lot of other ones earlier this year after giving themselves 20 years fixed leases.

I know what you mean, eg HSBC selling and renting back its HQ in Docklands.

But how about Goldmans losing $3bn in a flagship fund? If they're so clever why didn't they get out in time?

And Bear Sterns, how clever are they?

I know what you mean, eg HSBC selling and renting back its HQ in Docklands.

But how about Goldmans losing $3bn in a flagship fund? If they're so clever why didn't they get out in time?

This is a re-run of the 80's multiplied by how many times ? - only some of the actors have changed names.

I'm really enjoying watching all these "experts" on the BBC/Bloomberg etc wriggle in front of the camera every hour of the day, trying to tell Joe Public that it's just a blip and normal service will be resumed.

They know it's over - the tv interviewer knows its over - the tv watchers know its over.

As some famous person once said (paraphrasing) "Everyone's an expert in a bull market. It's during a bear market you find the real experts" ;)

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
They knew what was going to happen, if you look at the past 2 years they have been selling off their property. They timed the market right.

Of course they did.

About a year ago IIRC I started getting junk mail promotional literature for the New Star Property Unit Trust.

Before consigning it to the bin I remember thinking the top was in for commercial property and they were trying to offload it onto the little guy.

Yeah - it looks like they did know!

About a year ago IIRC I started getting junk mail promotional literature for the New Star Property Unit Trust.

Before consigning it to the bin I remember thinking the top was in for commercial property and they were trying to offload it onto the little guy.

Yeah - it looks like they did know!

Beat me to it, a whole raft of REITS were launched over the last year or two - to do what exactly? - to act as the bagholder and provide funds for companies to release their property holdings.

In simplistic terms I reckon for a while 'they' hold it together through some 'code', working out who should suffer and how. Once it reaches tipping point the brothers suggest declaring every man for himself, having already fukced each other over months before. Nothing more than gangsters most of them.. <_<

Where've you been?

Enjoying the show. I had tickets for the evening show but it's been cancelled; only the matinee to watch now.

I'm watching all the political plonkers who helped to cause this asking the market plonkers who helped to cause this how than they can stop it. And here is the answer:

They can't.

I expect the ratings agencies are going to carry the can, bigtime, for this, but this is but the first act. We haven't even got a peek at the trouble the large pension funds are in. I expect that they're spilling the beans behind closed doors about now.

Anyone with a pension had better get themselves a paper round.

Saw it coming indeed. I think not. Or maybe their Chinese walls are made of sterner stuff than I imagine? Hey, guys, do you think we should tell the pricks down at the Insanely leveraged Bugs Bunny Complicated Mortgage Swaps Quant Fund for Twits with more Money than Brains? Or should we let them crash and burn in two years?

Saw it coming? Jeez, these guys really do get to have it all. It's not enough that they all got rich from this theft, now they only have to wink for us to see they wrote the final act. No surprises for these geniuses, eh?

Edited by dstars

dstars

I expect the ratings agencies are going to carry the can, bigtime, for this, but this is but the first act.

The EU have called the ratings agencies in for a meeting.

dstars

I expect the ratings agencies are going to carry the can, bigtime, for this, but this is but the first act.

The EU have called the ratings agencies in for a meeting.

EU: What gives, you fcking twits?

Agencies: Eh?

EU: The fcking ratings? Investment grade? Investment grade?

Agencies: Eh? Can I have one of those mints?

EU: Investment grade? What calculations did you use?

Agencies: Eh? Kalkalayshuns?

EU: For the ratings?

Agencies: Ratings?

EU: Show us your figures?

Agencies: Dog ate them. Do you have any jelly beans?

EU: Do you know what shit you've landed us in? The whole global economic system is melting down and it's your fault.

Agencies: Should we downgrade? Should we fire that intern with the tits?

EU: Now we're going to have to get that fcking monkey in America to nuke somebody you, you shitwits.

Agencies: Will you be placing bonds?

Edited by dstars

Enjoying the show. I had tickets for the evening show but it's been cancelled; only the matinee to watch now.

I'm watching all the political plonkers who helped to cause this asking the market plonkers who helped to cause this how than they can stop it. And here is the answer:

They can't.

I expect the ratings agencies are going to carry the can, bigtime, for this, but this is but the first act. We haven't even got a peek at the trouble the large pension funds are in. I expect that they're spilling the beans behind closed doors about now.

Anyone with a pension had better get themselves a paper round.

Saw it coming indeed. I think not. Or maybe their Chinese walls are made of sterner stuff than I imagine? Hey, guys, do you think we should tell the pricks down at the Insanely leveraged Bugs Bunny Complicated Mortgage Swaps Quant Fund for Twits with more Money than Brains? Or should we let them crash and burn in two years?

Saw it coming? Jeez, these guys really do get to have it all. It's not enough that they all got rich from this theft, now they only have to wink for us to see they wrote the final act. No surprises for these geniuses, eh?

EU: Do you know what shit you've landed us in? The whole global economic system is melting down and it's your fault.

EU: Now we're going to have to get that fcking monkey in America to nuke somebody you, you shitwits.

Groovy :)

If this "volatility" is just based on the so-called "jitters" (ggrrrrr!) due to existing subprime defaults, what on Earth is going to happen when all the new mortgage resets happen in the autumn? Is this just the beginning?

Bloody clever. They sold billions of shite, generating milions & millions of fees for each individual involved in the scam. Everyone there has done very nicely - should think their only regret is that they couldn't keep the fraud going until the next bonus round. The value of the BSC options the company gave them will pale in comparison to the fees/bonuses already pocketed.

I think some may find your post offensive, In future, please don't insult monkeys by comparing Bush to them!

I think some may find your post offensive, In future, please don't insult monkeys by comparing Bush to them!

Indeed. I beg forgiveness of all monkeys and horses arses. (For the comparison to a horses **** was writ large in the sub text ;) )

Interesting that I'm allowed to cite arses in the plural but the singular offends?