House Price Crash Forum

Prices For Key Foods Are Rising Sharply

Justice

HOLA441

By Kevin G. Hall | McClatchy Newspapers

497-20070813-FOODPRICES.small.prod_affiliate.91.jpg

Meeting with economic writers last week, President Bush dismissed several polls that show Americans are down on the economy. He expressed surprise that inflation is one of the stated concerns.

"They cite inflation?" Bush asked, adding that, "I happen to believe the war has clouded a lot of people's sense of optimism."

Much of the rise from what i can see is due to the production of bio-fuels but as soon as a lot of people use it then the taxes will go up and down the road we will have electric cars and thats why the motorways are being dug up all over the place so that electrical systems can be put in place for pay-per-mile taxing.

when ever something gets changed the public ends up getting stuffed

HOLA442
HOLA443
By Kevin G. Hall | McClatchy Newspapers

497-20070813-FOODPRICES.small.prod_affiliate.91.jpg

Much of the rise from what i can see is due to the production of bio-fuels but as soon as a lot of people use it then the taxes will go up and down the road we will have electric cars and thats why the motorways are being dug up all over the place so that electrical systems can be put in place for pay-per-mile taxing.

when ever something gets changed the public ends up getting stuffed

I think you are correct. They use a lot of oranges, eggs, frozen juices, milk and apples in bio fuels :blink:

HOLA444
HOLA445
And at the Happening Bagel Backery on Seven Sisters Road, Finsbury Park, N4 - the price of bagels has gone up 25%!! (A dozen plain used to be £2, now £2.50)

You know what, I come back every few months to the uk and I can tell you, I probably see it more plainly than most, because I walk into a supermarket and basically go "how much". The 3 monthly rise one after the other really does stand out.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Is this like for like product inflation or the average price of each product? For example, a year ago you may have bought Tesco value eggs (£0.50), now you may buy free range organic eggs (£1.00). The price of each product may not have changed, it could even have gone down, but the average price of a box of eggs that you buy has gone up. That is not really inflation in the sense of prices rising, it is just buying a premium product, and UK consumers generally trade up to more premium areas.

HOLA449

Damn right milk and fruit have gone up.Good job I have currently got a secret supply of wild apples off a nearby footpath.And why the hell doesn't anyboby pick blackberries any more.My freezer is full to the brim with them,it takes about three minutes to pick a fiver's worth at supermarket punnet prices.In other words there are free fivers lying around all over the place at the moment and only food arbitrageurs like me seem to see it.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
I think you are correct. They use a lot of oranges, eggs, frozen juices, milk and apples in bio fuels :blink:

But dont forget that unless directed otherwise, farmers will grow the crop that is most profitable for them. If that happens to be biofuels then it will be at the expense of the other crops food included - so prices will rise.

:(

HOLA4412
Think harder.

They all use land.

Land used for Biofuels is land taken from food production - hence the higher price of food.

Don't be a *****. They have all always used the land. There's simply more demand. A lot of it down to all the extra wonga banks have been creating.

Edited: Why can't I say pr!ck if I want too.

Edited by Minos

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Much of the rise from what i can see is due to the production of bio-fuels

Correct, and as such the increases are as a result of political decision. However the government have enough excuses at hand to blame for food inflation to deflect the blame from themselves.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Lots of shortages are caused by these silly EU rules which forbid over production - which means in times of world wide crisis the land will have sat there empty unfarmed.

EG: milk production capped because we can import cheap milk... but when Oz has a shortage there's more competition for the milk we'd import... when we could really be producing our own.

Maybe some policies to make the UK food independent are needed?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Don't be a *****. They have all always used the land. There's simply more demand. A lot of it down to all the extra wonga banks have been creating.

.......no it is supply and demand simple as that, decreasing the amount of land used to grow food crops has led to a massive increase in the price of crops used in everyday foodstuffs. We have not seen (much of) these increases being passed onto consumers yet, however these increases will be very noticeable shortly.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

What are you on about? You're not making any sense.

They have always used the land....now they're using it for something different. Simple.

Land is land is land you can t just pull it out of thin air, you know.

See Scotts post below -

.......no it is supply and demand simple as that, decreasing the amount of land used to grow food crops has led to a massive increase in the price of crops used in everyday foodstuffs. We have not seen (much of) these increases being passed onto consumers yet, however these increases will be very noticeable shortly.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
inflation isn't 1.9%. The CPI is. They don't try to pretend to measure inflation of everything only what's in the basket.

Can we see what they "put in the basket" to measure CPI ? I wonder if they change what they use to keep CPI at the level they want .

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
inflation isn't 1.9%. The CPI is. They don't try to pretend to measure inflation of everything only what's in the basket.

Well if its good enough to be repeated in the media and good enough for the govt to call it 'falling inflation' then its good enough for us.