House Price Crash Forum

Ftse Opens Below 6000

HOLA441
No more city bonuses. London house prices tank and the effect ripples out-wards like a housepricecrash nuke. ;)

Bonuses? Most of the financial companies will be asking directors to repay last year's bonuses:

Its going to be 1987 all over again--but this time it will be with a vengeance.

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/16098007/214/europ...kets-lower.html

Financial News
Thursday August 16, 12:55 PM
Europe: Bonuses at risk as bourses follow global markets lower
LONDON (ShareCast) - City bonuses may not only be a thing of the past this year as some brokerage houses are warning directors that bonuses paid last year may have to be repaid as liquidity dries up. Elswhere, European shares followed US and Asian markets lower as lending concerns gripped global sentiment once again.

<_<

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Bonuses? Most of the financial companies will be asking directors to repay last year's bonuses:

Financial News
LONDON (ShareCast) - City bonuses may not only be a thing of the past this year as some brokerage houses are warning directors that bonuses paid last year may have to be repaid as liquidity dries up. Elswhere, European shares followed US and Asian markets lower as lending concerns gripped global sentiment once again.

<_<

music to my ears

HOLA443
HOLA444

Financial News

<_<

I am getting doc not found RB.... again please?!

Repaying bonus'.... i dont ******ing think so! I bet it doesn't say in the contract they have to do that and noone in there right mind is going to repay a massive bonus of say 500,000 quid. You'd just leave and tell them to stick it? (unless you think you can't get another job!)

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

How long until they stop blaming the US lenders and start realising that we have our own sub-prime problem, right here in the UK? I mean, it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that when the average house costs £200k, and the average person earns £23k, then there just might have been some lending to people who really could not afford the loan in anything other than the rosiest of environments (i.e. not now).

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Biggest One Day Falls on FTSE100

After today there'll probably have been two days in the top five in the space of a week!

So.... based on that, roughly speaking a 3%+ drop is a once every 3 year event? ish?

4% is reall bad.

5% is something serious, eg terrorism or a ******ed up market.

So...whats it going to be today boys? (and girls!)

HOLA4411

Financial News

<_<

I was just out of school in '87. What happened and how bad was it ? I remember something about it being rather windy.

HOLA4412

It will be a real shame if that happened.

Wait a minute ...

:lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
I was just out of school in '87. What happened and how bad was it ? I remember something about it being rather windy.

My post was a <_< But perhaps not far off as bonuses may well be history given the hits the financials are taking.

1987 saw a large SM correction and thebeginning of a bear market. Thousands of City jobs were lost as M&A activity etc. dried up. 18 months later and Great Crash I began.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

http://business.guardian.co.uk/markets/sto...2149744,00.html

Footsie falls sharply

Vote: correction or crash?

Fiona Walsh and Katie Allen

Thursday August 16, 2007

Guardian Unlimited

Shares in London plummeted more than 200 points today, sending the FTSE 100 index crashing below 6,000 as the storm engulfing global stock markets intensified.

There were heavy losses throughout the market, particularly among the banks, as panicked traders dumped shares.

By 1pm the FTSE 100 index was 221.4 points lower at 5887.9, a fall of 3.6%. This is its lowest level since last October.

"What we are witnessing is a rapid unwinding of risk on a global scale," said Martin Slaney, head of spread betting at GFT Global Markets.

Article continues

"Even traditional safe havens such as gold are deemed too risky in this climate," he added.

"In these extremely nervous market conditions, economic fundamentals have gone out of the window, and panic selling has set in."

He warned: "The days of easy credit are almost certainly over and the implications of this for everyone from hedge funds to homeowners are only now being realised." :unsure:

Today's fall in London follows an overnight battering for Asian stocks, as the far east markets took their cue from Wall Street's heavy losses yesterday.

After a day of wild swings, a late plunge on Wall Street saw the Dow Jones Industrial Average end 167 points lower, at 12,861, taking it below the 13,000 level for the first time since April.

London had managed to withstand the worst yesterday but there was no place to hide today.

The crisis was sparked by defaults on sub-prime home loans in America.

All eyes will be on Wall Street this afternoon, where the Dow looks set to drop another 150 points at the start. Ahead of the opening bell the US Commerce Department will release figures on housing starts and permits for last month, which will provide further clues on the health of the housing market.

There was fresh evidence in Europe of the spread of the contagion, as the insurer Zurich said it had invested $340m (£171m) in sub-prime debt in the US and $479m in collateralised debt obligations (CDO). But this is out of total investments of $186bn, and chief financial officer Dieter Wemmer said the group had "no concerns on the credit quality of the CDO or sub-prime exposure".

Elsewhere around the world, shares in the Australian mortgage lender RAMS Home Loans Group crashed 60%, as the US credit squeeze left it unable to refinance $5bn in debt. The news unnerved already panicky traders in Sydney, where the market also suffered sharp losses.

In Tokyo, the Nikkei 225 index closed almost 2% lower, down 327.12 points at 16,148.49, after falling below the 16,000 level at one stage.

Other Asian markets suffered sharp falls.

A further injection of cash into the banking system by the Federal Reserve failed to ease investors' nerves yesterday. Figures showing a slump in home sales and collapse of confidence among US builders deepened the gloom and traders were further spooked by a broker downgrade on the country's leading mortgage lender, Countrywide Financial, along with rumours that it was having trouble raising money. :unsure:

The US Treasury secretary, Henry Paulson, insisted today that America could withstand the current turmoil.

"The economy and the markets are strong enough to absorb the losses," Mr Paulson said in an interview on the Wall Street Journal's website. :lol:

The former Goldman Sachs chief executive said the global economy was in much stronger shape than in previous periods of market stress, and that the repricing of risk in markets was inevitable. He also said nothing should be done to guarantee market players against losses.

"One of the natural consequences of the excesses is that some entities will cease to exist," he said.

--------------------

that last quote has surely got to be the euphemism of the year...

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Financial News

<_<

I too am having trouble with this link. Interesting story, but I wish you'd fix the link.

HOLA4425