Index Value: 5,994.60

Trade Time: 8:21AM

Change: Down 114.70 (1.88%)

Prev Close: 6,109.30

Open: 6,109.30

Day's Range: 5,968.80 - 6,109.30

52wk Range: 5,658.30 - 6,754.10

Today's not looking good at all !!!

Good companies are being dragged down with the shite. Companies that have absolutely nothing to do with the credit bubble, leverage, PE buyouts, etc etc are being hammered. There is going to be a big round of layoffs, scaling-back of investment and a spread of ultra-cautiousness as a result - as even well-planned well capitalised companies who have done nothing wrong are taken to the cleaners.

The money men and central bankers have so polluted the system that they are infecting everything in their path. They are not the creators of wealth, they are the destroyers of wealth, they create nothing, they improve nothing, they dilute everything, they tar everything with the same brush.

Good companies are being dragged down with the shite. Companies that have absolutely nothing to do with the credit bubble, leverage, PE buyouts, etc etc are being hammered. There is going to be a big round of layoffs, scaling-back of investment and a spread of ultra-cautiousness as a result - as even well-planned well capitalised companies who have done nothing wrong are taken to the cleaners.

The money men and central bankers have so polluted the system that they are infecting everything in their path. They are not the creators of wealth, they are the destroyers of wealth, they create nothing, they improve nothing, they dilute everything, they tar everything with the same brush.

I totally agree with you. They are the plague-bearers

I see the FTSE100 is no higher than it was in March 1998. I know the mantra is "you have to be in it for the long term" but you ought to expect something after 9 years!

A FTSE tracker bought in 1998 would have rewarded you with nothing except 9 years inflation.

Shares, property, gold - timing is utterly crucial.

I see the FTSE100 is no higher than it was in March 1998. I know the mantra is "you have to be in it for the long term" but you ought to expect something after 9 years!

A FTSE tracker bought in 1998 would have rewarded you with nothing except 9 years inflation.

Shares, property, gold - timing is utterly crucial.

It's probably just coincidence that Labour have been in power for about the same period. :lol::blink::lol::huh::lol:

Edited by Xurbia

Surely the Stock Market falling is a bad thing - it will encourage people to invest even more in property, as stocks, shares and pensions are seem to be a crap bet ??

The Kiwi dollar has been been dropping by the minute today. It just won't stop.

A genuine buying opportunity then?

A genuine buying opportunity then?

FTSE down to 5990 now. Just informed my girlfriend that the large profits she's made on her ftse tracker have been wiped out over 48 hours. She didn't really understand any of what I was saying though, bless.

Is it undervalued yet and would now be a good time to pile back in?

Edited by nohpc

Surely the Stock Market falling is a bad thing - it will encourage people to invest even more in property, as stocks, shares and pensions are seem to be a crap bet ??

Mate, the public don't have a clue about whats been happening over the past week - well the seriousness of it. Most, just think it's nothing to do with them...

They will realise whats been happening in about a years time.

Guest The_Oldie
"Now let's get this into perspective, the FTSE is down about 2% but that doesn't mean the world's going to come to an end. Yes, if you have a pension fund or an endowment mortgage, you may be worth a teeny bit less than you were yesterday........."

Declan Curry, BBC Breakfast News :rolleyes:.

Declan Curry, BBC Breakfast News :rolleyes.

Well you're not worth 2% less. You're worth 10% less at least than you were this time last week.

FTSE down to 5990 now. Just informed my girlfriend that the large profits she's made on her ftse tracker have been wiped out over 48 hours. She didn't really understand any of what I was saying though, bless.

Is it undervalued yet and would now be a good time to pile back in?

Can't remember a price to earnings ratio this low for a while( about ten)even when the index fell under 3500 around 2003.It doesn't seem that long ago when it was around 17 times.Obviously investors like the big ratios like BTL at 30:1.

Guest The_Oldie
Well you're not worth 2% less. You're worth 10% less at least than you were this time last week.

You sure are, Mr Curry is just spouting his usual spin. I liquidated all my stock holdings in February (including pension funds).

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Sometimes you just need to wait.

Guest The_Oldie

I certainly wouldn't put my money into property to escape from a stock market correction that has been caused by the collapse of the US housing market.

I certainly wouldn't put my money into property to escape from a stock market correction that has been caused by the collapse of the US housing market.

Sometimes you just need to wait.

Can't remember a price to earnings ratio this low for a while( about ten)even when the index fell under 3500 around 2003.It doesn't seem that long ago when it was around 17 times.Obviously investors like the big ratios like BTL at 30:1.

P/E look cheap now but what happens when the earnings drop due to a slowdown?

You sure are, Mr Curry is just spouting his usual spin. I liquidated all my stock holdings in February (including pension funds).

Is it possible to liquidate pension funds? I was under the impression that they were locked in until retirement...

Yeap I agree.

The market is raping the Aim stocks I currently hold but hey, that's life.

No opportunity to play dead cat bounce with them? I haven't traded online, but I assume in the interests of unfairness, anyone with an average trading account is likely to find trading less than instantaneous at present.

Is it possible to liquidate pension funds? I was under the impression that they were locked in until retirement...

you can choose how your pension fund is invested - so you move it to interest/gilts etc.