House Price Crash Forum

Subletting To 6 Polish Students!

HOLA441

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7375

My tenant paid the first months rent and a deposit which I lodged with DPS. No more rent was paid and tenant evaded all queries with excuses. I have discovered he is not living at the property but has sublet to 6 people, taking £160 pp deposit and extortionate rent. They have no AST and are going back to Poland in Sept.

I have some insurance for rent. Am I unable to claim back the deposit in lieu of rent, should his notice be a sec 21 or sec 8? As it is going to take some time, I feel sorry for the people in the house and am embarrassed that an English man has treated them in this way. They are not happy to hand over any more money to this person.

update: worse to come!

"We have had 5 abusive and rather threatening messages left on our phone, demanding his deposit back. Meanwhile he holds £960 deposit from the students and has told them they wont get it back until they pay more rent"

I feel sorry! for the landlord/lady. What is wrong with me? :lol: Seriously she has been conned yet she feels sorry for the people in the house and embarrassed about the way they were treated. Good on her & I hope she sues the pants off that muppet.

Subletting seems to be a new business opportunity for the crooks.