House Price Crash Forum
HPC Convert

Let Sense Prevail

There appears to be no end to the appetite on this site for predictions of mass bank failure and economic collapse. I'm thinking of getting some psychologists to study it. Its all now getting rather messianic and desperate, and a little tragic. The short answer is that we are not going to get a stock market collapse of 1929 proportions. Similarly we are not going to get major financial institutions collapse. Nor are we likely to have a military coup, nor be reduced to a Zimbabwe style of living that will involve selling children in exchange for unleaded petrol.

What we have here is a typical equity market over-reaction to some stupid lending practices. There will be some nasty collapses of junk mortgage providers and some banks will have their £5 billion a year profits pared down. The largely automated trading desks will remain volatile for the next month probably and then things will calm. The outcome will be a new round of regulations and the FSA/SEC will make some pronouncemnets etc but essentially life will role on. By Christmas the FTSE will trade around 6,500, interest rates will be 6% at most and HPI will have slowed to around 0.2% MOM nationally.

The current "crisis" is being reported by salivating journalists who at any other time are dismissed as VI sharks. The speculation and myth is being siezed on here as either gospel truth or a sure sign that UK PLC is heading for the rocks. This is simply not true.

A sense of perspective is required.

Edited by HPC Convert

Glad you said that ...

There are some nutters here.

Even if the worst case scenario came to pass, I'd rather just it smacked me in the face and I survived 3 days before dying to be honest.

I am not a "survivor".

I'd curl up in a ball under a bush and just cry for the first 3 days at least.

I come here to read stuff, but am not making any contingency because I have no ideas/clue/resources of my own. Therefore, I come here to read and be informed/amused. I am not building a bunker, nor digging a hole. I am not buying gold. Nor beans, guns, bullets or long lasting torches, candles and wind up radios.

No point getting upset about things over which one has no control. And/or know you aren't a strong enough person to deal with anyway.

:)

There appears to be no end to the appetite on this site for predictions of mass bank failure and economic collapse. I'm thinking of getting some psychologists to study it. Its all now getting rather messianic and desperate, and a little tragic. The short answer is that we are not going to get a stock market collapse of 1929 proportions. Similarly we are not going to get major financial institutions collapse. Nor are we likely to have a military coup, nor be reduced to a Zimbabwe style of living that will involve selling children in exchange for unleaded petrol.

What we have here is a typical equity market over-reaction to some stupid lending practices. There will be some nasty collapses of junk mortgage providers and some banks will have their £5 billion a year profits pared down. The largely automated trading desks will remain volatile for the next month probably and then things will calm. The outcome will be a new round of regulations and the FSA/SEC will make some pronouncemnets etc but essentially life will role on. By Christmas the FTSE will trade around 6,500, interest rates will be 6% at most and HPI will have slowed to around 0.2% MOM nationally.

The current "crisis" is being reported by salivating journalists who at any other time are dismissed as VI sharks. The speculation and myth is being siezed on here as either gospel truth or a sure sign that UK PLC is heading for the rocks. This is simply not true.

I agree with you. I bet nobody else on this site does :lol:

Glad you said that ...

There are some nutters here.

Even if the worst case scenario came to pass, I'd rather just it smacked me in the face and I survived 3 days before dying to be honest.

I am not a "survivor".

I'd curl up in a ball under a bush and just cry for the first 3 days at least.

I come here to read stuff, but am not making any contingency because I have no ideas/clue/resources of my own. Therefore, I come here to read and be informed/amused. I am not building a bunker, nor digging a hole. I am not buying gold. Nor beans, guns, bullets or long lasting torches, candles and wind up radios.

No point getting upset about things over which one has no control. And/or know you aren't a strong enough person to deal with anyway.

:)

Oh man you are so utterly screwed if you are not hoarding gold and baked beans in your bomb shelter. Seriously you will regret not paying mor attention to the warnings! ;)

Some balance, at last.

:mellow:

Oh man you are so utterly screwed if you are not hoarding gold and baked beans in your bomb shelter. Seriously you will regret not paying mor attention to the warnings! ;)

Whatever ... I get to spend the money instead on cheap fags and cider and even cheaper men :)

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/030ba626-48f9-11dc...0b5df10621.html

This article describes the role of automated trading models in the current situation - ie the sell offs are mostly generated automatically.

HPCC - Not sure I agree with your "Calm down, neurotic dears!" message, but greatly like your writing style. Also liked Cgnao or whatever he's called (the financial tsunami poster) and his nutshell guide of the banking system, defaults and how it spirals down. Some really good writing talent on here and sharp brains which, frankly, reminds me quite often of just how dopey I am and how poor my education and IQ is by comparison. Honestly humbled by the depth of views and brains on here. And no it ain't the late-night booze talking, in fact I'm stone cold sober! Hic.

But I do think there's trouble at t'mill and I just hope that it doesn't smash ordinary folk in the face - the greedy and dishonest should pay, not us ordinary working folk. Well, naive statement eh, but I live in hope.

Goodnight all, and don't have nightmares. :rolleyes:

Its all been a storm in a tea cup. This site has been predicting this event for years now and now it has occured

there's only one conclusion to draw: this site and its patrons have no credibility.

Combat 18 of the economic world.

I suspect the FSA will seek to legislate on self-certification mortgages with rafts of well meaning legislation

How many days, weeks of decline will mean that sense is coming from the doom mongers?

I dont think the end of the world is upon us but I do think that we are in a significant turning point for the global markets which will effect us all.

I dont think the recent amount of money wiped from the markets can disappear without a significant impact somewhere!

How many days, weeks of decline will mean that sense is coming from the doom mongers?

I dont think the end of the world is upon us but I do think that we are in a significant turning point for the global markets which will effect us all.

I dont think the recent amount of money wiped from the markets can disappear without a significant impact somewhere!

Look at it a different way. When a couple of UK high street banks announced £5 billion profits in the last couple of weeks, did it impact you directly? Did you see the FTSE rocket, interest rates move or did you get a letter from your pension scheme saying anything? No you didn't. When the Boots/Allianze deal went through, did you notice anything then? I expect you did not. When LTCM went to the wall - can you remember the month and the year because something happened to you or your investments? When the tech bubble burst in 2000/01 did you lose your job or queue for food? No, i don't think you did.

All in all, these things come and go and people get whipped into a frenzy over nothing. The rarefied atmosphere of this site is rather intense. There wont be any significant impact on you or your employer or your life.

nonsense. since 2001 life got 7x harder to make ends meet

we're in a dodgy war and nobody know can tell you why

the markets are being supported by state capital injections

even the 911 incident seemed dodgy.

this is not normal business operating hours.

Its all been a storm in a tea cup. This site has been predicting this event for years now and now it has occured

there's only one conclusion to draw: this site and its patrons have no credibility.

Combat 18 of the economic world.

The miracle economy is built on debt & the eye-watering level of debt is not sustainable nor is affordable. How many zeroes is that? It’s £1300000000000! and that's what it matters not what this site has been predicting. Nobody can predict when 'the miss crash' will visit us but it would be more than miracle if she didn't!

Remember, the bears will have to be right only once, just once. You don't need to worry about whether this site has credibility or not what you need to worry about is whether you have a plan 'B' when the bears are proven right only once. Have you got a plan 'B' just in case if the unexpected happens and the biggest housing bubble of all time bursts?

Guest The_Oldie
There wont be any significant impact on you or your employer or your life.

Now where have I heard that sentiment before? Oh yes...

It does not mean that the pound here in Britain, in your pocket or purse or in your bank, has been devalued."

nonsense. since 2001 life got 7x harder to make ends meet

we're in a dodgy war and nobody know can tell you why

the markets are being supported by state capital injections

even the 911 incident seemed dodgy.

this is not normal business operating hours.

If life got 7x harder to make ends meet how come people keep buying houses that are now more than twice as expensive as in 2001?

The dodgy war - nothing to do with my post

State capital injections - in the last two days, and BOJ has withdrawn its loans without ill effect and the BOE never joined in

911 - nothing to do with my post

If life got 7x harder to make ends meet how come people keep buying houses that are now more than twice as expensive as in 2001?

The dodgy war - nothing to do with my post

State capital injections - in the last two days, and BOJ has withdrawn its loans without ill effect and the BOE never joined in

911 - nothing to do with my post

a. people dont buy them. they borrow for temporary artificially inflated assets.

b. your paying for it anyway. do you agree with it ?

c. still had it ready to go though. the BOE would have done so given a bigger push.

d. it all began on 911

Edited by right_freds_dead

None off us are nutters, isnt it better to be safe than to find out a few weeks down the line things are getting bad? no one forces you to do anything YOU dont think is right.

Everyone knows feels poor at least the media have said it in some ways, however, if you look at history what ever is a banks problem becomes the publics problem, doubt anyone can argue with that.

Most of the economist that DONT work in the greed sector can see it, its only the people that are in the greed sector can't. Yes, i did buy a few tins of food , however I didnt go out and buy a car load. If it doesnt turn out to be big then i'll eat it, however how many here are willing to to take the chance? eveything is in cycles, why are people picking up and choosing to live in another country?

We have historical documentation to help us with what might be the outcome, does anyone have any proof that certain groups dont /do control whats going on?

This site is about having a debate about future directions, this site is about what will/ could happen and how each one of us is effected by government choices, its about people sharing theories no matter how strange they maybe to YOUR way of thinking.

How many times is history have they said some one is crazy? and most of the time they were proven wrong.

One thing is sure thru out history, the few like to control the many and that is fact, what is different now? what has changed?

Dont just say people are nutters put down and link facts to make your version valid counter some one elses way of thinking.

Why are there so many people around the world thinking the same as most on this board? there must be something in it.

When you look at marxist, functional etc... theories they make a point they have their views and people choose what views are best according to their situation. A lot of people on this site have used valid economic theories to base their argument counter the argument with the same theories, dont just label them crazy, nutjobs.

When theres a financial problem it always hits the public in one way or another thats another fact.

Edited by crash2006

Look at it a different way. When a couple of UK high street banks announced £5 billion profits in the last couple of weeks, did it impact you directly? Did you see the FTSE rocket, interest rates move or did you get a letter from your pension scheme saying anything? No you didn't. When the Boots/Allianze deal went through, did you notice anything then? I expect you did not. When LTCM went to the wall - can you remember the month and the year because something happened to you or your investments? When the tech bubble burst in 2000/01 did you lose your job or queue for food? No, i don't think you did.

All in all, these things come and go and people get whipped into a frenzy over nothing. The rarefied atmosphere of this site is rather intense. There wont be any significant impact on you or your employer or your life.

Agree with your points and I am no expert on the markets infact most of what I know is what I have learnt from here so take from that what you will!

What I think makes this situation a little more interesting then the examples that you mention is that we could be at the top of a the markets unravelling from a boom generated by a false economy of debt and greed! This could lead to recent "deals" like boots/allianze that were fueled from this easy credit effecting the common guy on the street (if these businesses are suddenly plunged into bankruptcy because they are owned by private equity firms that are over leveraged with bad debt which has become apparent for example!)

Additionally surely the excess money supply that keeps on increasing is another cog in this huge broken machine that will effect us all. Inflation has to rise (1.9 is a blip on a long running trend!) and that in turn will impact the every day guy on the street!

Then there is the risk that big name banks could well struggle in the current situation and that in turn can really damage confidence in the monetry system. This confidence could snowball out of control and a huge run on the banks could occur. Again this effects people not just markets!

Then there are the businesses that have suddenly lost a lot of value. This will effect the way that company approaches the coming years. Its recruitment, investment, expansion etc again effecting everyone who works within them.

I might be completely wrong with everything I have said because I am no expert but my logic makes me see lots of possibilities that the current market uncertaintly has the potential to severly impact everyone around the globe!

Not the end of the world but not the same as a private equity buy out or one company/bank going to the wall (although ask its employees if it impacted them!)

I apologise now for any spelling or grammatical errors above! Im tired and rightly or wrongly think that so long as I get my point of view accross I have suceeded!

None off us are nutters, isnt it better to be safe than to find out a few weeks down the line things are getting bad? no one forces you to do anything YOU dont think is right.

Everyone knows feels poor at least the media have said it in some ways, however, if you look at history what ever is a banks problem becomes the publics problem, doubt anyone can argue with that.

Most of the economist that DONT work in the greed sector can see it, its only the people that are in the greed sector can't. Yes, i did buy a few tins of food , however I didnt go out and buy a car load. If it doesnt turn out to be big then i'll eat it, however how many here are willing to to take the chance? eveything is in cycles, why are people picking up and choosing to live in another country?

We have historical documentation to help us with what might be the outcome, does anyone have any proof that certain groups dont /do control whats going on?

This site is about having a debate about future directions, this site is about what will/ could happen and how each one of us is effected by government choices, its about people sharing theories no matter how strange they maybe to YOUR way of thinking.

How many times is history have they said some one is crazy? and most of the time they were proven wrong.

One thing is sure thru out history, the few like to control the many and that is fact, what is different now? what has changed?

Dont just say people are nutters put down and link facts to make your version valid counter some one elses way of thinking.

Why are there so many people around the world thinking the same as most on this board? there must be something in it.

When you look at marxist, functional etc... theories they make a point they have their views and people choose what views are best according to their situation. A lot of people on this site have used valid economic theories to base their argument counter the argument with the same theories, dont just label them crazy, nutjobs.

When theres a financial problem it always hits the public in one way or another thats another fact.

You are the first to mention the word nutter and crazy. A point i will not labour.

If i decode your post correctly you are seeking acceptance for a variety of views to be held as valid? In which case, the same courtesy shall be extended to my view. My view is that the histrionics about bank crashes and economic collapse are unwarranted.

You are the first to mention the word nutter and crazy. A point i will not labour.

If i decode your post correctly you are seeking acceptance for a variety of views to be held as valid? In which case, the same courtesy shall be extended to my view. My view is that the histrionics about bank crashes and economic collapse are unwarranted.

why have you started talking like a dusty, wigged QC from the 1950s ?

Good morning, your honor.

The crown will plainly show the prisoner who now stands before you was caught red-handed showing feelings.

Showing feelings of an almost human nature. This will not do.

The evidence before the court is incontrovertible, There's no need for the jury to retire.

In all my years of judging I have never heard before of someone more deserving of the full penalty of law.

The way you made them suffer,Your exquisite wife and mother, Fills me with the urge to defecate!

Edited by right_freds_dead

No other posters have said that.

unwarranted well thats your choice, but economic collapse does exist it happens and can be at this moment in time justified by whats going on in the states,the rest of the world banks have been hit, because of the US, we can justify by looking at what is happening here in relation to what is going on there.

Edited by crash2006