House Price Crash Forum

Swap Rates Anyone?

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I understand that the uk extended swap (fixed) rates dictates the price of fixed rate mortgages but could you help me out and explain how we are affected by the LIBOR rates short term rates?

Am I correct in saying that this is the rate at which banks will lend to each other? And if it is how will this affect the man on the street?

HOLA445
I understand that the uk extended swap (fixed) rates dictates the price of fixed rate mortgages but could you help me out and explain how we are affected by the LIBOR rates short term rates?

Am I correct in saying that this is the rate at which banks will lend to each other? And if it is how will this affect the man on the street?

What it means is that if you enter a swap with a bank for the next twelve months, and you want to hedge against rates rising, the bank won't pay the difference until rates exceed 6.5% (approx)

So what it really means is the banks expect IR to go higher than 6%. So if you went into a swap now you would have to pay the difference between the current base rate and the current swap rate.

HOLA446
HOLA447
What it means is that if you enter a swap with a bank for the next twelve months, and you want to hedge against rates rising, the bank won't pay the difference until rates exceed 6.5% (approx)

So what it really means is the banks expect IR to go higher than 6%. So if you went into a swap now you would have to pay the difference between the current base rate and the current swap rate.

I see so this view by the markets in response to credit tightening rather then the possibility B of E raising rates?

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
Yes theres one person called Every Boddie - but he's a very influential chap, thats probably what causing it.

It's one month's figures. The £ is falling against the $ and yen. If this continues........

The £ climbed six cents during July, there is your deflation.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I see this coming through the market and credit tightening rather than BOE raising the rates, any AGREE with this im about to plough a big chunk of money into a 1 year fixed savings bond which will get 0.9% gross more interest than where its sitting.

So even with 2 rate rises im still ahead and god forbid if they cut rates im covered there also.

Any views gladly taken.

HOLA4413