House Price Crash Forum

How Many People Can Afford To Buy?

yeah I'd say the average working man with the average job and average salary probably isn't sitting at a PC browsing the web and reading this website on a tuesday afternoon.....

...he's too busy building those flats across the road. :P

the 15 "luxury" flats that are crammed into a space where there used to be a 5 bedroom house with garden :D

....notice they use LUXURY in everything advertisement related these days....what's luxury in a 1 bedroom flat that has only a view of the back of a garden shed that's in someone's garden!!!

the 15 "luxury" flats that are crammed into a space where there used to be a 5 bedroom house with garden :D

....notice they use LUXURY in everything advertisement related these days....what's luxury in a 1 bedroom flat that has only a view of the back of a garden shed that's in someone's garden!!!

Haven't you got a luxury mangle, yet? :P

We could afford it at 3x joint.

Can't bring ourselves to buy an overpriced asset in a third world country though...

Same here - we earn over £50K joint but would not buy, as doing so would affect our quality of life, esp if we wanted to have children at some stage! With ultra-low wage inflation, mortgages are a heavy burden for many years - unlike the 1970s!

We will not buy till after the crash.

Take home £1K per week. To buy the house we are currently renting would multiply my living costs by approximately 200%, yep, it would cost me three times what I currently pay to own this place. Nice though it is I think I'll pass.

Can put down £50K as a deposit but would need a multiple of 4 to stay in the area I am living. Could buy an over-priced flat at a multiple of 3, but I have just managed to flog one and have no intention of repeating the mistake.

Never, ever, buy a brand new leasehold flat, I regretted it every day until I managed to sell. Which took 12 months....and I got back what I paid....

Except for the property that doesn't, property always goes up... :blink:

Same here - we earn over £50K joint but would not buy, as doing so would affect our quality of life, esp if we wanted to have children at some stage! With ultra-low wage inflation, mortgages are a heavy burden for many years - unlike the 1970s!

We will not buy till after the crash.

I'm single and make over 50K but realistically (at normal multiples) can't afford anything more than a grubby 1 bedroom flat in the area of W. London where I live and work.

The 1 bedroom rabbit hutch "executive flats" in the new developments are way out my price range :wacko:

I scratch my head wondering who on earth are snapping the houses/flats up at these crazy prices!

:rolleyes:

No way--family of 3 with one salary uner 40K and no chance of going higher in the next 10 years. And even if I had a nest egg to put down as a deposit (we don't, living month to month and just barely hanging in there) it wouldn't necessarily make sense. I pay £450/month for a 2 bedroom house--if I bought the cheapest similar house going in the same cheap neighbourhood, it would be £120000 minimum so I'd be out more per month, plus paying my own maintainance costs etc.

Not unless pricees drop drastically.

Hope is what keeps me hanging around here! :P

No way--family of 3 with one salary uner 40K and no chance of going higher in the next 10 years. And even if I had a nest egg to put down as a deposit (we don't, living month to month and just barely hanging in there) it wouldn't necessarily make sense. I pay £450/month for a 2 bedroom house--if I bought the cheapest similar house going in the same cheap neighbourhood, it would be £120000 minimum so I'd be out more per month, plus paying my own maintainance costs etc.

Not unless pricees drop drastically.

Hope is what keeps me hanging around here! :P

Hope keeps you and the other circ 7000 members going. How long will we be kept waiting is the question. Does anybody have the answer.

Why does everybody always want a bigger house?

I've been looking at houses and to be honest I want a 1-bed house. Only thing that stops me liking them is the size - they assume you are starting out.

All I need is one room. If I could get a big studio, with the bed in a corner, a kitchenette and a small bathroom, that'd be it. Only heating and maintaining and cleaning 1 room is a cheap way to live. Realistically, I'll probably get a 2-bed house, open plan living space, conservatory, driveway. But even so I know I will never go into bed-2 ever. And, quite frankly, will probably nod off on the sofa most nights and not even make it to bed-1.

Not spending more than I need to on council tax, furniture, insurance, maintenance.

How many rooms in these bigger houses are you:

1) Never going to go into

2) Have "just in case XYZ" comes to stay

3) Filling with junk

When you look at the cost of the extra room - if you saved that money instead, you could:

1) Not have to spend out on curtains/carpets/lampshade/furniture to go in it

2) Afford to put up XYZ in a B&B instead - giving you all more space

3) Get rid of stuff you'll never use again

Minimalist living is the way forward. Don't over-consume. Keep your money for fun stuff.

Where's your ambition, SEW?

What's wrong with the traditional route to a rung on the housing ladder for someone in your position?

a. Find a nice person compatible with your sexual orientation who owns a house.

b. Marry them.

Worked for me.

Worked for loads of people I know.

It's the way forward. And if it doesn't work out;

c. Divorce them.

Hey Presto! - half a house! :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Mr Yogi