House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rover

How Much To Offer?

Now I'm not talking London, this mythical property resides in the Shires - no hobbits are included.

Been on the market @ 220k for a couple of months, what's a realistic offer price (cash) - considered thoughts anyone ?

What price are you willing to pay and not regret, no matter what happens to the market?

Don't be embarassed to go in low. I went in £120k less than original asking on the last house I owned, and they comprimised at £117.5k lower!

Now I'm not talking London, this mythical property resides in the Shires - no hobbits are included.

Been on the market @ 220k for a couple of months, what's a realistic offer price (cash) - considered thoughts anyone ?

Just ask them to hand it over because soon they wont be able to afford it anyway

What price are you willing to pay and not regret, no matter what happens to the market?

Don't be embarassed to go in low. I went in £120k less than original asking on the last house I owned, and they comprimised at £117.5k lower!

120k less ? what was the asking and when did you buy ?

TBH, I was thinking of ~190k (on 220K asking). <_<

And yes guys, I'm fully aware of the downside but I have other pressing issues!

120k less ? what was the asking and when did you buy ?

TBH, I was thinking of ~190k (on 220K asking). <_<

And yes guys, I'm fully aware of the downside but I have other pressing issues!

the key is when putting in your original offer is to walk away when they say no and let them come back to you - especially effective if the property is vacant and they realise its costing them about 150 a week in lost interest - tick tock

give it a couple of months though as there is some nasty sh1t going to go down soon - cash will then be king

It depends how much you want it! If your offer is too low they might not want to deal with you. If you offer too much you might kick yourself.

Offer 210 to definitely seal it, 200 for gamble. If you offer below 200 they probably wont be interested.

Personally I'd wait it out for them to drop the price to 199,950 and then offer 190,000.

I always sound out the agents in subtle ways. Best ploy ever is to get a couple of 'good' mates to put in a really crap offers of 185,000 and 189950. Even be really cheeky and tell them to ask for all the furniture. They come across as taking the pee and you ride in on a white charger holding the folding (don't actually ride in on a horse in case it craps on the hall carpet - I ****ing hate it when that happens.)

If you adopt my ploy the muppet agent will tell you 'Someone has offered close to asking price' if he's dishonest.

Edit : Nearly forgot - always carry loads of other property details in your hand and compare them out loud. You never want to act like you're dying to own the place. I'd also play up to the fact that you've got cash in a subtle way.

Edited by Xurbia

It depends how much you want it! If your offer is too low they might not want to deal with you. If you offer too much you might kick yourself.

Offer 210 to definitely seal it, 200 for gamble. If you offer below 200 they probably wont be interested.

Personally I'd wait it out for them to drop the price to 199,950 and then offer 190,000.

I always sound out the agents in subtle ways. Best ploy ever is to get a couple of 'good' mates to put in a really crap offers of 185,000 and 189950. Even be really cheeky and tell them to ask for all the furniture. They come across as taking the pee and you ride in on a white charger holding the folding (don't actually ride in on a horse in case it craps on the hall carpet - I ****ing hate it when that happens.)

If you adopt my ploy the muppet agent will tell you 'Someone has offered close to asking price' if he's dishonest.

Edit : Nearly forgot - always carry loads of other property details in your hand and compare them out loud. You never want to act like you're dying to own the place. I'd also play up to the fact that you've got cash in a subtle way.

Sounds like good advice to me. And expatowner's tip is good.

go in at 170-180k... raise offers by 1 or 2k rises... dont worry about offering too low, thats your first offer and if they go for it your better off. It depends how desperate they are, if you find a property that has been on the market 6 months, and they have already moved out and on (no furnature, marrage breakup) your more likely to have a lower offer accepted. Just tell the EA its at the edge of your budget, oh if your not cash only and just a FTBer make sure you get any mortgage offer from an unrelated broker or bank so you can ******** (tell them the price is at the edge of your budget but you have everything in place, could complete within weeks etc etc)

Edited by moosetea

If you aren't embarrassed with your offer you are offering too much. Offer 150K and tell them the the cost of borrowing has gone up by 22% since last year and you have to protect yourself from the risk of future crash. They'll probably tell you to get lost but you can always go back in 2010 to buy it for £140K :lol: