House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
poorman

Wide Speard

I have noticed some shares on AIM & SMALL CAP have a very wide SPREAD (about 50%) & some are only (about 2%)especially on 10-20p shares . Can anyone explain to me exactly what causes this, or or is it a combination of things. ;)

popularity and the qty of trades, the more efficient a market the smaller the gap. If you have 1 shop in a street selling apples they will rip you off with a big spread, if you have millions of apple shops selling the same apples you get a better price and the spread between buying and selling will be smaller

Edited by moosetea

Thanks for that moosetea that's a lot clearer, I always only buy narrow spread shares, so I can sell quick If the price drops steeply without losing,I have noticed they also tend to go down far more quickly than they rise. (I have been caught out few times) :(

Thanks for that moosetea that's a lot clearer, I always only buy narrow spread shares, so I can sell quick If the price drops steeply without losing,I have noticed they also tend to go down far more quickly than they rise. (I have been caught out few times) :(

Don't trade. Very few are successful.

one other thing, remember it is a market, with buyers and sellers and people in the middle getting the buyers to buy from the sellers, and vice versa, the price is made up of the average of thousands of little trades... If the price moves, it means the sellers don't want to sell at that price the spread naturally widens until a buyer takes the price. If you think of a market as a line on a graph your asking for trouble.

one other thing, remember it is a market, with buyers and sellers and people in the middle getting the buyers to buy from the sellers, and vice versa, the price is made up of the average of thousands of little trades... If the price moves, it means the sellers don't want to sell at that price the spread naturally widens until a buyer takes the price. If you think of a market as a line on a graph your asking for trouble.

So basically the MM's don't want your shares hence the massive spreads <_<

Thanks again