House Price Crash Forum
Converted Lurker

Big Thanks To Bubb And Others Who Contributed To

Hear hear.

I've learnt so much from you guys - it's been a hell of a lot more useful than a university course in economics and cheaper.

We should have an end of term party when the crash is in full swing!

80's night!

or Bankers and Tramps 1929 fancy dress

Hi all,

I've been a member of the forum for a while, but I don't post much. But I'm always reading posts and I have been learning.. lots. Thanks to EVERYONE for posting, the bears, the bulls and the neithers. Keep up the good work!

Keeval

Hear hear.

I've learnt so much from you guys - it's been a hell of a lot more useful than a university course in economics and cheaper.

We should have an end of term party when the crash is in full swing!

80's night!

or Bankers and Tramps 1929 fancy dress

great idea!!...I'm coming as leslie nielsen's vicar out of RE-POSSESSED!!

started in Dec 2005. IMHO the name/title of this forum has never done justice to the overall quality of intellect and expertise available.

I second that. I am embarrassed to say I use HPC.co.uk because most people don't delve deep enough to really appreciate the wealth of information here.

Consensus is a very powerful/insightful weapon in making for what most on here are decisions that will change their lives. I have been a member for just under a year and the consensus view I have taken is so far playing out almost to the letter, I am sure there will be some surprises to come but these will be some of the wilder/scary views discussed here that fall outside of what I see as the consensus!

Thanks to everyone who contributes!

Hi all,

I've been a member of the forum for a while, but I don't post much. But I'm always reading posts and I have been learning.. lots. Thanks to EVERYONE for posting, the bears, the bulls and the neithers. Keep up the good work!

Keeval

My sentiments exactly, cheers

(they sound genuine)... Thanks for the comments

The most powerful tightening moves: lower percentages of advance & more rejected applications - may be dead ahead.

Please keep us all posted, when you see that

of course they're genuine you paranoid tw@t ;) Keep up the good work fella :)

Its easy for bulls to state the argument for in a bull market , it mirrors the old saying everyone makes money in a bull market but only a few make money in a bear market and its the bears that make money in a bear market not the bulls. A bear makes money from the bulls but they dont see that because bulls make money from each other.

To argue fact figure guesstimate on what would happen is hard, if you knew how the future would pan out then you'd be rich, a bear in a bull market learns more than a bull in a bull market. why because its independant thinking its looking at why there is a bull market looking at cause and effect and beyond.

Bear create Theories to understand what is happening, but they dont know untill it happen and then can cut and paste their/other peoples theories learning from it giving them greater scope of understanding risk.

Edited by crash2006

I have only been a member since April but I have been visiting the site for a couple of years as much that has been discussed here very much fitted with my instincts about our economy.

But as a previous poster had said - I have learned so much from the 'experts' who post here - (and the other not so expert).

It has influenced my decisions backed by my instincts - now proving to be correct.

You were bound to be right eventually. Even the bull would admit that. The reality of the situation is you called it WAY too early.

You are congratulating yourselves now even though the falls have not happened yet.

In actual fact house prices may not fall at all even though there is credit tightening.

If you take a step back to 2000 and decide which shoes you would rather be in - bull or bear.

I would still rather choose bull. Even though I was bearish then. I STR in 2003 and bought again this year.

That move may mean I called it wrong twice but I have a feeling I called it wrong once.

The general public are not all as hard up and in debt as you lot would like to think. A few are and we here about them repeatedly on this site. But the majority are not.

You were bound to be right eventually. Even the bull would admit that. The reality of the situation is you called it WAY too early.

You are congratulating yourselves now even though the falls have not happened yet.

In actual fact house prices may not fall at all even though there is credit tightening.

If you take a step back to 2000 and decide which shoes you would rather be in - bull or bear.

I would still rather choose bull. Even though I was bearish then. I STR in 2003 and bought again this year.

That move may mean I called it wrong twice but I have a feeling I called it wrong once.

The general public are not all as hard up and in debt as you lot would like to think. A few are and we here about them repeatedly on this site. But the majority are not.

You are brave buying this year but, as you say, not everyone is hard up......yet. Given the current financial turmoil you must have one hell of an optimistic crystal ball, or just two elephantine sized ones of your own. :blink:

The general public are not all as hard up and in debt as you lot would like to think.

The household debt/GDP ratio is now 160%, is that high enough for you or would you like it to be higher?

Existing commitments are getting so high the savings rate has plummeted and increasingly people are just hoping their pension will sort itself out having no plans in plane and no savings going into a pension pot - other than I suppose their property- which again they are hoping is magically going to bail them out.

I see your point.

But consider this:

HOW MANY BULLS will keep their money in the coming Bear market?

Are the Builders signaling a 2008 UK Property Crash?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNeCetQeLLU

But I reckon it is slowly catching up. So look across the pond, to see what is coming :huh:

Well i take a guess around 1/10 do, the ones that got out early, the rest just watch and wish, this time round 1/20. btw if anyones reading this go to liverpool st, bank and the docklands now you'll see a lot more people than usual.

We need to to thank every one here too - especially DrB.

I know for an actual fact that, because of here and there, we have

saved ourselves from losing 10's of thousands of pounds. Fact.

And now have shed loads of knowledge, information and understanding

that I hope we will use wisely. Don't understand a lot of it of course - but am enjoying trying to.

Thanks, Kt

Nearly purchased a house in autumn 2005 and (thankfully) it fell through. At the time I knew nothing about economics but I had a sickly uneasy feeling in my stomach. My wife was devastated and wanted to look for another property but I scoured the internet for views that were contrary to the "you must get on the 'ladder' now before it's to late". Then I found this site and with the information provided by it's highly informed posters (such as Bubb) I decided that it would be madness to commit myself to a 6 times salary mortgage for a crappy two bed house in a sink estate. Thanks HPC for stopping me from making the biggest mistake of my life.

In the future, when this nasty crash has finished I would hope that the government would bring in plans to teach children at school about markets, economics and the dangers of buying a grossly inflated asset at the height of a bubble. I remember people in 1991 saying that they would never make the same mistakes again - it's just ashame that they never educated their children.

btw if anyones reading this go to liverpool st, bank and the docklands now you'll see a lot more people than usual.

what are they all doing there?

Yeah, thanks to every one (excluding the slightly to the right - heh - anti-immigration lobby).

This site has been a touch stone for me during the last couple of years.