House Price Crash Forum
zoomraker

Brown Sounds Defeated

"There will always be issues in the markets and of course we cannot insulate ourselves from events that are happening in all parts of the world," Brown told reporters. "I think the important message to be said about the British economy is that we have done everything in our power and will continue to do everything in our power to maintain the stability of the British economy." Gordon Brown, Prime Minister

Sounds like he knows the game is up.

"There will always be issues in the markets and of course we cannot insulate ourselves from events that are happening in all parts of the world," Brown told reporters. "I think the important message to be said about the British economy is that we have done everything in our power and will continue to do everything in our power to maintain the stability of the British economy." Gordon Brown, Prime Minister

Hehe sounds like no early election then, or with a bit of luck Labour will be forced out of office for economic maladministration.

......in other words they are at the mercy of events outwith their control.

...when asked what represented the greatest challenge for a statesman, British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan responded in his typically languid fashion, “Events, my dear boy, events.” [source]

Will anyone recall or quote Brown's waffling equivalent half a century from now, I wonder.

Brown should now instruct the BOE to let rip with 1% rises in September & October.

The dream is over - reality dawns.

...when asked what represented the greatest challenge for a statesman, British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan responded in his typically languid fashion, “Events, my dear boy, events.” [source]

Will anyone recall or quote Brown's waffling equivalent half a century from now, I wonder.

Brown will be remembered as the Prime Minister who said "there will be no more boom or bust" just before the biggest recession in history.

Talk about tempting fate.

It seems incredible that our polaticians do not seem to have any understanding of the business cycle that is a direct result of our debt based money system.

"I think the important message to be said about the British economy is that we have done everything in our power and will continue to do everything in our power to maintain the stability of the British economy."

Right, then:

• Interest rates to be lowered to 0%

• 200,000 new public sector jobs to be created in the form of "Pavement Inspectors"

• £10 billion to be printed next week

• Raising prices to be made a criminal offence

Sorted! ;)

Brown will be remembered as the Prime Minister who said "there will be no more boom or bust" just before the biggest recession in history.

Yes but he will pin all the blame on "external" events..

Right, then:
  • Interest rates to be lowered to 0%

• 200,000 new public sector jobs to be created in the form of "Pavement Inspectors"

• £10 billion to be printed next week

• Raising prices to be made a criminal offence

Sorted! ;)

He's so screwed, it's going to be beautiful to watch. Cameron and the media will take him apart like a boy pulling the wings off a fly.

David 'Black Wednesday' Cameron is hardly the person to 'take him [brown] apart like a boy pulling the wings off a fly'.

It might be Brown's saving grace that he faces a child who, despite his youth, still managed to get associated with Britain's last finanical humiliation 15years ago.

" Brown told reporters. "I think the important message to be said about the British economy is that we have done everything in our power to maintain the stability of the British economy"

WHAT !!! with personal debt level at nearly double the EU average and a visible trade deficit of £80 billion ....... the man is even more deluded than I thought.

Now we have this quote

Prime Minister says Britain is "open for business"

Perhaps I will return after all,Mr Brown was referring to "foot & mouth"

QUOTE(zoomraker @ Aug 10 2007, 03:05 PM)

" Brown told reporters. "I think the important message to be said about the British economy is that we have done everything in our power to maintain the stability of the British economy"

The BOE haven't done everything in their power to maintain the stability of the British economy.

What the f*ck is Brown talking about. The BOE have destroyed the sodding economy with their late 0.25% rate increases, along with Browns

obsession with TAX/MEW/HPI.

He's a f*cking dick, and should be strung up to a lampost.

Guest Popalot

This is what he has been waiting for - an excuse to blame external events.......watch the decoupling from the US in general. As the subprime continues to implode and Wall St affects all SMs...he will start mooting Iraq withdrawal, US the bogeyman....all their fault...

He's so screwed, it's going to be beautiful to watch. Cameron and the media will take him apart like a boy pulling the wings off a fly.

I think you will see that the Tories have picked the wrong man to do the wrong job at the wrong time. Yet again.

Their more substantial back "roster" (IDS excluded on the basis of being terminally useless) would be perfect now, but they were thrown against Blair at just the time their brand of politics wasn't wanted in much the same way that post-Blair Cameron's eco-blathering globe trotting Islington dinnerparty set twaddle is already out of date. William Hague is still on the front bench and will tear Gordo limb from limb if he gets the chance, alas, only for "Dave" to ineffectually fail to deliver the coup de grâce and allow The Clunking Fist to get back to his feet.

If things do get nasty I think Brown will be the more attractive candidate, and the Tories can only blame themselves for this with a lack of vision as they have tried so hard to portray him as dour, miserable, Stalinist etc. Nobody wants a kill joy when things are going well right? In a time of crisis the last thing most people are going to decide they need is an Old Etonian windmill enthusiast mincing about hugging hoodies.

I think you will see that the Tories have picked the wrong man to do the wrong job at the wrong time. Yet again.

Their more substantial back "roster" (IDS excluded on the basis of being terminally useless) would be perfect now, but they were thrown against Blair at just the time their brand of politics wasn't wanted in much the same way that post-Blair Cameron's eco-blathering globe trotting Islington dinnerparty set twaddle is already out of date. William Hague is still on the front bench and will tear Gordo limb from limb if he gets the chance, alas, only for "Dave" to ineffectually fail to deliver the coup de grâce and allow The Clunking Fist to get back to his feet.

If things do get nasty I think Brown will be the more attractive candidate, and the Tories can only blame themselves for this with a lack of vision as they have tried so hard to portray him as dour, miserable, Stalinist etc. Nobody wants a kill joy when things are going well right? In a time of crisis the last thing most people are going to decide they need is an Old Etonian windmill enthusiast mincing about hugging hoodies.

lol. you're probably right