House Price Crash Forum

China Announce A 67% Jump In Trade Surplus

HOLA441

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070810/china_trade...plus.html?.v=12

AP

China's Trade Surplus Up 67 Pct. in July
Friday August 10, 3:27 am ET
By Joe "Scotty" Mcdonald, AP Business Writer
China's Trade Surplus Soars 67 Percent in July, Its 2nd-Highest Monthly Level on Record
BEIJING (AP) -- China's trade surplus soared to its second-highest monthly level on record in July, according to data reported Friday, amid mounting pressure by U.S. lawmakers to sanction Beijing over trade and currency disputes.

With just about everything we buy now made in China how could their surplus do otherwise? The trade imbalances are not just a US problem anymore.

HOLA442

The problem has deep roots. Basically, we Westerners think we are too good to get our hands dirty doing hard manual work. The average person of other countries like China do not have this apathy to doing a hard day's work. As we round the corner of peak oil and rising energy prices, the hands of humans will once again be important in commerce. There can be no easy solution here. We will all have to roll our sleeves up to compete with these other nations, not just get by through the day making as little contribution as possible to the country's physical economy

Best,

L

HOLA443
The problem has deep roots. Basically, we Westerners think we are too good to get our hands dirty doing hard manual work. The average person of other countries like China do not have this apathy to doing a hard day's work. As we round the corner of peak oil and rising energy prices, the hands of humans will once again be important in commerce. There can be no easy solution here. We will all have to roll our sleeves up to compete with these other nations, not just get by through the day making as little contribution as possible to the country's physical economy

Best,

L

mmmm. chinese workers are slaves my friend. sure slaves can make stuff cheap.

1000s of chinese workers die each year at work with little compensation.

there is practically no welfare state and trade unions are very weak.

hundreds of people are executed every year for such trivial crimes as theft.

it really is a bosses paradise and a workers hell.

as i always thought - only communism or fascism are able to make capitalism work effectively.

why ? because capitalism relies on fascism or communism to suppress human rights which are necessary for capitailsm to function properly.

iraq is an example of imperialism ( fascism ?? ) working in aid of capitalism.

HOLA444
mmmm. chinese workers are slaves my friend. sure slaves can make stuff cheap.

1000s of chinese workers die each year at work with little compensation.

there is practically no welfare state and trade unions are very weak.

hundreds of people are executed every year for such trivial crimes as theft.

it really is a bosses paradise and a workers hell.

as i always thought - only communism or fascism are able to make capitalism work effectively.

why ? because capitalism relies on fascism or communism to suppress human rights which are necessary for capitailsm to function properly.

iraq is an example of imperialism ( fascism ?? ) working in aid of capitalism.

You make it sound really bad over there! I have been over there twice in my life, once on a grand two week tour of the country as well as many times to Hong Kong separately. I have been to the smallest and remotest villages in China as well as the biggest cities such as Beijing and Shanghai. Here are my observations from my own personal experience.

The people who walk the streets there seem to be far from slaves to me. I am perceptive enough to recognise troubled souls when I see them and the people there do not show the demeanour of those who are victimised and enslaved. I have tried to talk to some of them, and sure they have normal human aspirations like most of us over here. They want better food, better houses and better vehicles and the money to buy these things. They are constantly on the lookout for opportunities to better their lives and hard work does not stand in the way of their ambitions.

It is true that the average worker in China earns about $5 a day. However, believe it or not, this is an improving trend in their earning power, not the reverse. It takes time to lift over a billion people out of poverty. It is not easy and results come slowly. Sure if you had to work in a factory for 14 hours a day and got paid $5, then you may call it slavery because you have different standards and have had a better life over here than the average worker over there. But this does not make them slaves. Only our own thinking can make us a slave or not.

With regard to your comment on fascism, I have the following observations to share. There were only two times during my grand visit that I saw evidence of what you may call rule by force. The first was when I was in customs in Guangdong. I walked through a corrider with armed soldiers standing to attention on either side. Maybe intimidating to some I agree. They were perfectly courteous, but I was not used to the experience. The second time was when I happened on the military base in Beijing. We drove right through it, no problem. Nobody stopped us. In fact, I have never been stopped at any time in China and asked for ID from either a policeman or anybody else. Also, I do not remember seeing a single CCTV camera there. Not to say that they don't exist, but I didn't see any, in total contrast to the UK. As controversial as it sounds, I think that you have more chance to experience something related to fascism in this country rather than over there.

It is true, that they have zero tolerance for crime in China. This might explain why I could wander aimlessly through some of the biggest cities on Earth at night time without getting into a nervous spot or wishing I had taken a different route. Kids still play freely in the street over there in safety. It is true, that there have been some instances in the Western media of enforced slave factories in China, but the authorities have taken a very dim view of this and exacted the toughest penalties on those who try to extort their way to wealth. The Communists try to show no favouritsm in dealing out their penalties, from factory owners to army officers, city mayors to members of the Party itself. If somebody breaks the law, there is nowhere to hide. People try not to break the law, simple as that.

As regards the law in China. What is the law? The law is the written Constitution of the People. You can read the Constitution here :

Constitution of the People's Republic of China

The Constitution confers the power of dictatorship to the People. The People are the Dictator and have power over all governmental, social, judicial, military and political organisations including the Communist Party itself. The Party is sworn to uphold the Constitution above all else. The question I have is this, China has a written Constitution and every citizen knows his or her rights. Can you point me to our written constitution that gives us our rights here in the UK? In China, the People are the Sovereign and not one single family.

So I say that China isn't as lawless and oppressing as many media articles would have you believe. They are an eager and hard-working people who have tried to come up with the best system possible to govern a population which is four times that of the United States with all the concomitant problems that entails. Sure, in that huge mass of humanity, there will be some rotten apples. It is not possible to have the economic growth that China has had with its huge population without some ugly elements of greed appearing, but I think that the authorities have not been as entirely complacent in dealing with these problems as some other countries have

Best,

L

Edit : typo

Edited by Luminist

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
It is true, that they have zero tolerance for crime in China. This might explain why I could wander aimlessly through some of the biggest cities on Earth at night time without getting into a nervous spot or wishing I had taken a different route. Kids still play freely in the street over there in safety.

only a Marxist could type such drivel and keep a straight face.

they dont execute people for stealing in most countries in the world and - believe it or not - kids can still play safe in the streets.

Q: why are you shooting that man commissar ?

A: for the sake of the children

bullsh. it

_1234000_executions300.jpg

China executed more people in the last three months than the rest of the world did in the past three years, the human rights group Amnesty International says.

In a report published on Friday, the London-based group said China has put people to death not just for violent crimes, but also for offences such as bribery, embezzlement and stealing gasoline.

stealing gasoline eh ! im sure that means the little kiddies can play safely in the streets

anyone who apologises for the regime in China needs a kick in the backside

ps yes they are executing those embezzlers in a football stadium packed with people. savage.

Edited by jimmyjazz

HOLA448
As regards the law in China. What is the law? The law is the written Constitution of the People. You can read the Constitution here :

Constitution of the People's Republic of China

The Constitution confers the power of dictatorship to the People. The People are the Dictator and have power over all governmental, social, judicial, military and political organisations including the Communist Party itself.

I have never read such drivel in all my life.

Even a lobotomised chicken knows the dictatorship is of the people by the party not the other way round.

Reading that just makes me realise that Marxists are every bit as deluded and authoritarian as fascists.

HOLA449

Hi jimmyjazz,

Such strong emotions! You are entitled to your opinion, though I must object to your demands for my butt being kicked! Isn't that one of the attributes of fascism? That people are physically chastised for their opinions and beliefs? Oh well, I have just tried to present a calm and I think a balanced opinion based on my own personal experiences and my extensive travelling within the country. If the people are cowering in fear of their government and are oppressed, I didn't many see examples of it with my own eyes. In fact, I think the situation on the ground might be the complete opposite of what you seem to be saying. There is a lot of nationalist fervour at the moment within China and a lot of support for the Communist Party, regardless of how evil you think they are. I don't believe in the death penalty for any offence so I will not condone these sentences. However, the way that you write, it seems that this is the sum total of all of China's achievements during the last 20 years. Have you ever been to China yourself?

Best,

L

HOLA4410
Hi jimmyjazz,

Such strong emotions! You are entitled to your opinion, though I must object to your demands for my butt being kicked! Isn't that one of the attributes of fascism?

as opposed to China where they just execute people in football stadiums for embezzling.

I have never been to China but I dont have to go there to know that public execution is just plain barbaric. Only tyrants - usually either Marxist or Fascist - support such actions.

for me Fascism is just Marxism plus racism.

both systems lead to brutal authoritarian regimes from different ideological starting points which i wont go into.

it wont surprise you to learn I loathe Marxists and Fascists alike,.

MAY 3 2007

Some 50,000 fingers are sliced off in China's factories every month. Tao Chun Lan was a 20-year-old woman from Sichuan province at the heart of China who moved to Shenzhen and got a job working in a handicrafts factory. One night, she discovered the factory was filling with smoke - and the workers were locked inside. Some 84 workers were burned or trampled to death. Lan jumped out of a window, irreparably damaging her legs. She has received no compensation. "They don't care if I am crippled for life," she says.

http://comment.independent.co.uk/columnist...icle2504611.ece

The only thing the free-market Marxists in Beijing are making is profit for themselves and other capitalists.

Edited by jimmyjazz