House Price Crash Forum

Journalists, The Vested Interests In Chief

http://boards.fool.co.uk/Message.asp?mid=9079037

I presume this article nestled cosily in a bed of mortgage ads in the Times' personal finance section? It could have been written by Northern Rock's investor relations PR department.

I think this is a VERY important point.

I don't know if this has been raised elsewhere - but I wonder the impartiality of any journalist.

As an example I use Melanie Bien. I used to be suprised by her consistent optimism on the property market in the Independent, you know renting is dead money etc - until I found out that she...

Melanie is personal finance editor and property correspondent of the Independent on Sunday. She is also author of "Renting Out Your Property For Dummies" (published by John Wiley, September 2003) and has also written "Buying and Selling Property For Dummies" which will be published later this year. She is currently working on "Buying Property On a Budget For Dummies", which will be published in July. She also owns three buy-to-let properties jointly with her brother and parents, and has worked on the Location Location Location website for Channel 4.

Also, although now not still writing the articles for the Independent I notice she is regularly consulted as an expert in many articles (either as head of media relations, an associate director or simple broker for Savills Private Finance).

When we read those articles (especially circa 2000) by journalists such as her - were we ever reading the view of an independent and impartial journalist or were we actually reading the blatant ramping by someone up to their eyeballs with vested Interests?

i think it's ridiculous to think there is some sort of conspiracy among journalists, particularly as the property beat isn't exactly the stomping ground of the profession's highest paid members. i know many a poor hack either mortgaged to the eyeballs or drifting through their 30s in a shared house.

just like many others...

i think it's ridiculous to think there is some sort of conspiracy among journalists, particularly as the property beat isn't exactly the stomping ground of the profession's highest paid members. i know many a poor hack either mortgaged to the eyeballs or drifting through their 30s in a shared house.

just like many others...

yes but the kind of people who write articles in national newspapers and who're spokespeople for financial institutions are well-off to a man ...and woman..and own their own homes...

i know many a poor hack either mortgaged to the eyeballs or drifting through their 30s in a shared house.

So arguably not the ideal people to take lessons from in how to succeed in property, then?

Besides, I never said there was a conspiracy, simply that it is to be expected that journalists will write articles to serve their own self-interest, and that journalists when writing about other asset markets (the stockmarket, for example) are obliged to disclose any personal interest they may have in the subject theyare writing about, be it shares, property or commodities.

Any homeowner has an interest in ramping property prices, given an appropriate voice.

So those in the media that own property, a substantial number I would wager, do have some vested interest in the booming property market staying bouyant.

I have a vested interest in the market crashing to 13p a house, give me a page of a broadsheet every day for a week and I'll tell you why it going to happen! :lol:

just like many others...

I don't think journalists can really be defended though, can they ? We are not talking about the odd article here or there - we are talking widespread vested interest. It might be the junior staff writers that actually produce the articles, but the property supplements and the whole journalistic stance must have the backing from the senior editors.

And as for someone who is property correspondent who "just happens" to have written a book on renting your house out (BTL) - well - I rest my case !!

This sort of thing is rife in the media - pick up a copy of Private Eye and you will see countless examples.

o those in the media that own property, a substantial number I would wager, do have some vested interest in the booming property market staying bouyant.

There is vested interest and vested interest though.

Owning a house is hardly a unique characteristic; what do you suggest - that all property correspondents move into rented accomodation ?!

However, writing a book on property or owning 5 BTL houses is something quite different !!

There is vested interest and vested interest though.

Owning a house is hardly a unique characteristic; what do you suggest - that all property correspondents move into rented accomodation ?!

However, writing a book on property or owning 5 BTL houses is something quite different !!

As an ex-pat living in San Diego , California I can attest to the heavy bias of the press in favour of EAs and the VIs--they pay for most of the advertizing in the papers. However, as a Real Estate lobbyist I have been pressuring the local press here to release month-on-month data showing the turn in the market back in June 2004. Up to now the press have only shown year-on-year stats that are always positive (until the soft patch is reached in about June and they hope to have turned things around by that time--key for EAs is to keep the bad news from the public at all costs). The press have complied (not sure if I had any influence or not) and the truth is out. The housing market is going down and the trend is accelerating to the downside. Public awareness of the new reality is not widespread so I am working hard!

The theory that if you are a home-owner then you have a vested interest in rising house prices is just ridiculous.

You can't discount somebody's opinion for being a home-owner any more than they could discount your opinion for not. Falling houseprices are a benefit for nearly all home-owners with exceptions.

The enemy.. :ph34r:

i.) EA's are a VI.

ii.) Bank's and building societies are a VI.

iii.) BTL's are a VI.

iv.) The government is a VI.

v.) Property development companies & house builders are VI.

:D

The theory that if you are a home-owner then you have a vested interest in rising house prices is just ridiculous.

You can't discount somebody's opinion for being a home-owner any more than they could discount your opinion for not. Falling houseprices are a benefit for nearly all home-owners with exceptions.

The enemy..   :ph34r:

i.) EA's are a VI.

ii.) Bank's and building societies are a VI.

iii.) BTL's are a VI.

iv.) The government is a VI.

v.) Property development companies & house builders are VI.

when you say EAs are a V1.....do you mean a German guided missile ? :D