House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It is different this time

Immigrants Have Taken 4 In 10 Homes Since 1997

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

Four in ten homes built over the past ten years have been needed because of immigration, figures have revealed.

Nearly 600,000 properties have had to be constructed because of the new arrivals since Labour came to power in 1997, said researchers at the House of Commons Library.

This is three times more than the number of homes needed for immigrants under the last Conservative government.

The library, a team of independent researchers who carry out work for MPs, said an average of 19,000 immigrant households a year were established between 1992 and 1997. But the figure has since soared to 66,000 a year, which has helped to price many British first-time buyers out of the market.

Between 1997 and 2005, the latest period for which figures are available, 592,000 houses were needed solely for immigrants. With Eastern Europeans continuing to pour in over the past two years, this total is certain to have climbed even higher.

The research raises huge questions about Gordon Brown's housebuilding programme.

The Prime Minister is planning to build three million homes by 2020, after accepting it is hard for first-time buyers to get on the property ladder.

He said providing more affordable housing is "vital" for the country's future and is to raise the annual target for new homes from 200,000 to 240,000 by 2016.

But, based on current levels of immigration, 1.2million - or 40 per cent - of the new homes will be needed to house immigrants. The Government has claimed only a third of demand for new houses - 33 per cent - comes from immigrants.

Tory MP James Clappison, who requested the figures, said by reducing the number of immigrants, the Government could build fewer houses and limit the damage to the countryside.

Mr Clappison, a member of Westminster's home affairs committee, added: "These figures are a direct result of the polices adopted by the current Government since 1997.

"The number of new migrant households is more than three times the rate of the last years of the Conservative government, and a huge proportion of demand for housing is now the result of migration.

"Gordon Brown is having to build more and more houses because of the people his Government is allowing in, and it shows a complete lack of grasp of what is going on."

A Home Office spokesman said: "There are legitimate concerns about managing some of the effects of migration on communities. We are listening to these concerns.

"That is why we have taken a more gradual approach to opening our labour market to people from Bulgaria and Romania by maintaining restrictions and introducing quotas on low-skilled jobs."

2 in 10 immigrants on 'skilled' migrant worker scheme on minimum wage

Immigrants given special visas to fill "highly skilled" jobs are working here as taxi drivers and food packers.

Two in ten of the 50,000 "elite" new arrivals are earning below the average wage, Immigration Minister Liam Byrne admitted. Critics said it is proof the programme has been abused.

From 2002 the scheme offered foreigners the chance to settle in the UK permanently after they had lived here for four years. To be accepted, migrants had to show qualifications which would allow them to work in jobs such as medicine or engineering.

But there was no requirement for them to have secured a job here first, and many instead entered low-skilled professions. Last year, Mr Byrne tightened up the requirements to join the scheme and said those who had exploited it could be deported.

But a report by peers and MPs said the changes breach the migrants' human rights and should be scrapped.

I am speechless no not because the corrupted labour has done everything to save the miracle economy for their own political gain but because of the fact that Tories, the main opposition party, also live in la la land!

Tories think "by reducing the number of immigrants, the Government could build fewer houses and limit the damage to the countryside" Who gives a feck about damaging the countryside when the future of millions have been already damaged by far the highest house prices in history? Millions are either priced out of housing market or in deep debt sh1t for buying overpriced homes but the Tories worry about the countryside!

The corrupted muppets v the clueless muppets. Come election take your pick, if you dare, for your & your kids’ future.

Tories think "by reducing the number of immigrants, the Government could build fewer houses and limit the damage to the countryside" Who gives a feck about damaging the countryside when the future of millions have been already damaged

totally agree

totally agree

..........with the ageing population we need young immigrants....that has to be the strategy.....and lets face it we could never retain our young sun worshipping graduates and skilled workers going the other way....emigrating....as a matter of interest do they still have to pay off their university loans when they emigrate.....?..... :o:o:o ...must be difficult to collect the repayments....the banking system is not quite that sophisticated yet....... :huh::huh:

That article is a fallacy of composition, I have never met a single immigrant that has bought a house, has anyone else? How does an immigrant actually get a mortgage? Immigrants almost always share the houses that they rent with at least as many others as there are bedrooms in the house so that the rental costs are lower. The Daily Mail are just taking the 592,000 immigrant statistic to conclude that therefore 592,000 houses are needed for immigration, this does not take into consideration the 380,000 people that have leave the UK each year or the simple well know fact that immigrants share the houses that they live in.

Immigration is used to hide the effects of inflation by lowering wages.

Two in ten of the 50,000 "elite" new arrivals are earning below the average wage, Immigration Minister Liam Byrne admitted.

I would like to see a huge reduction in the numbers of immigrants coming into the UK, Immigration and cheap foreign imports are used to lower wages and to hide the effects of inflation. We should tax those who benefit from immigration, tax BTLs who rent to people from outside the UK and tax companies and especially job agencies that hire immigrants at the expense of UK workers then we could at least use the money to build new houses.

This is after all the same newspaper that prints headlines like

Property prices 'to soar 40% by 2012'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/dmstandar..._id=57&ct=5

The Daily Mail also has a dedicated section giving advice about buy-to-let http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/buytolet

If they want to make a correlation between the numbers of immigrants and UK housing market then they should look at the numbers of BTL homes let to immigrants Seems like double standards to be complaining about immigrants taking our homes while giving out advice for people to BTL. The BTL boom created by cheap credit has done more to bid up the prices of houses in the UK and price out first time buyers, to blame the house price inflation on immigration is just scapegoating, if immigration has such an impact on the housing market then how come house prices are cheap in areas where immigrants live.

That article is a fallacy of composition, I have never met a single immigrant that has bought a house, has anyone else? How does an immigrant actually get a mortgage? Immigrants almost always share the houses that they rent with at least as many others as there are bedrooms in the house so that the rental costs are lower. The Daily Mail are just taking the 592,000 immigrant statistic to conclude that therefore 592,000 houses are needed for immigration, this does not take into consideration the 380,000 people that have leave the UK each year or the simple well know fact that immigrants share the houses that they live in.

I would like to see a huge reduction in the numbers of immigrants coming into the UK, Immigration and cheap foreign imports are used to lower wages and to hide the effects of inflation. We should tax those who benefit from immigration, tax BTLs who rent to people from outside the UK and tax companies and especially job agencies that hire immigrants at the expense of UK workers then we could at least use the money to build new houses.

I tend to agree; however the flaw in the argument is obvious.

We are going to have to import skilled labour to build these extra houses. We haven't got enough building workers of our own.

We are going to have to import skilled labour to build these extra houses. We haven't got enough building workers of our own.

How about training some of our native jobless? Perhaps accepting that skilled manual work is better for some people than a degree in windsurfing at a poly.

Phoney

Guest AuntJess

This is after all the same newspaper that prints headlines like http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/dmstandar..._id=57&ct=5

The Daily Mail also has a dedicated section giving advice about buy-to-let http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/buytolet

If they want to make a correlation between the numbers of immigrants and UK housing market then they should look at the numbers of BTL homes let to immigrants Seems like double standards to be complaining about immigrants taking our homes while giving out advice for people to BTL. The BTL boom created by cheap credit has done more to bid up the prices of houses in the UK and price out first time buyers, to blame the house price inflation on immigration is just scapegoating, if immigration has such an impact on the housing market then how come house prices are cheap in areas where immigrants live.

I also think that unlimited immigration is affecting inflation and that few buy houses. What DOES happen, at least in my ex-neck of the woods, <_< is that BTLs can buy up a whole street, do it up and rent to immigrants or asylum seekers. The EA that sold my house informed me that people were buying up houses en masse - in rows - and giving them a quick spruce in readiness for the expected influx of immigrants. This was three years ago.

He also said that these BTLs were gleefully doing this as the government paid good rates for rents for such tenants. I remember that, at the time, my son was trying to get onto 'the ladder' ( fat chance) and was incensed by this news: that he was barred from getting a house because of soaring prices, yet HMG were dishing out high rents in order to accommodate incomers to the country. They certainly don't follow the creed of " charity begins at home" :(

We need immigrants as we have an aging population is a load of crap and our old people can not get jobs because they are undercut by immigrants so pull the other one it has bells on it

That article is a fallacy of composition, I have never met a single immigrant that has bought a house, has anyone else? How does an immigrant actually get a mortgage?

You have got to be joking right.

In Leicester they all buy houses and the Leicester City Council gives them a massive housing renovation grant to do the place up and providing they keep the house for 2 years then they can sell it and keep the profit.

Money for votes scam if ever i saw one.

..........with the ageing population we need young immigrants....that has to be the strategy.....and lets face it we could never retain our young sun worshipping graduates and skilled workers going the other way....emigrating....as a matter of interest do they still have to pay off their university loans when they emigrate.....?..... :o:o:o ...must be difficult to collect the repayments....the banking system is not quite that sophisticated yet....... :huh::huh:

Why should a graduate/skilled person stick around long enough for their job to be outsourced/offshored/downsalaried or replaced via the latest edict from govt to import the next 100,000 bodies to fill some non-existent skills shortage?

Emigration is not just a lifestyle choice for many.

We need immigrants as we have an aging population is a load of crap and our old people can not get jobs because they are undercut by immigrants so pull the other one it has bells on it

You have got to be joking right.

In Leicester they all buy houses and the Leicester City Council gives them a massive housing renovation grant to do the place up and providing they keep the house for 2 years then they can sell it and keep the profit.

Money for votes scam if ever i saw one.

Yeah, old people make great labourers, hod carriers etc. Get real. Also - I do not think immigrants are able to vote...........

Apart from that. a well thought out and constructive post (not)

Really?

If anything there seems to be an inverse relationship between the number of migrants employed in housebuilding and the number of houses actually produced!

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/Newscentre/Library/f...ad,27934,en.pdf

That article is a fallacy of composition, I have never met a single immigrant that has bought a house, has anyone else? How does an immigrant actually get a mortgage? Immigrants almost always share the houses that they rent with at least as many others as there are bedrooms in the house so that the rental costs are lower.

Hmmm... tricky

I've not brought a house; it's obviously differcult to get finance when you're on a time limited visa.

I am however guilty of these immigration sins:

- 4 immigrants in a family house; locking that house out of the local market - check.

It was an english landlord profitting from that one though. He had no problem with it.

- Lowering local wages - check.

Worked for 2 years at 30% less than the going local rate.

IMHO this is a problem with bonded labour, not immigration per say; british employes gaming the system.

- Helped price locals out of rental accomodation - check.

Once the above was corrected, I was able to move out on my own.

The previous tenants (a british couple) were leaving because they couldn't afford the new rent increase.

Abit guilty about that one, but once again it was a british landlord turning the screw;

I was only adding additional market pressure.

That article is a fallacy of composition, I have never met a single immigrant that has bought a house, has anyone else?

Yes. A new build estate where my parents bought in manchester - a healthy percentage of the houses have been

bought by african / chinese / muslim / asian immigrants.

I was absolutely shocked to see the change around here having been away from England for three years. First opportunity I'm returning to Australia and won't ever come back to this country to live - Its been screwed for ever.

all i can say is..>DUH !!!

if you let in 660,000 in a year then they have to live somewhere. they need transport and everything else.

though they often rent as i dont think too many have long term intentions. esp economic east europeans.

the boys from 'auf weidersen pet' didnt buy. they all lived in a hut.

this is why when our silly economy turns sour. the working euros will be back in poland. (working as usual)

leaving us only with the worrysome somalis etc. on benefits etc.

stupid plan.

-theres a reason so many radicals came here after being 'persecuted'. they were too radical for their own countries and caused hassle.

of course here they are going to settle in slough and have 2 kids and a three bed semi and work at the post office.

sure they are.....

Surely the main point for the Bears here is that the huge and sudden influx since 1998-ish of new residents is that the supply/demand curve has been radically altered. Adding so many people at once, all who have to be housed somewhere, somehow, means that the measures once used to show housing boom/bust have to be reassessed.

There is a housing shortage so prices rise.

Sure, there are other factors too:- second homes, BTL's, low number of new builds, stamp duty disincentives to moving and a period of low interest rates have also had an effect. But the increased demand - increasing daily - will keep the pressure on.

As to some of the other comments...

Will they all suddenly return home in a recession or stay here and live on benefits if they are unfortunate and become unemployed?

Or will they be the hungrier ones with the lower overheads who keep working for low pay during a recession?

Will they bring their families here once they get settled or continue to live apart?

Will global warming suddenly end so that they can return to their currently deforested, floodied, water poor, health poor, education poor. peace poor, law and order poor origins? (Caused largely by the First World's own greed and filth).

Will Eastern Europe suddenly catch up economically with the UK overnight and they all rush back home?

Would you?

The world is changing fast and the government is not planning enough for the consequences of its actions. In fact Gordon Brown likes what is happening as it keeps wage inflation low, the unions at bay and the middle classes feeling happy with their house price rises and cheap labour supplies.

If the Bank of England gets too enthusiastic with rate hikes Gordon will lose the election. Maybe that's why the BofE is talking up rises but not doing it now and why GB wants an election before the muggles wake up to what happens next!

Surely the main point for the Bears here is that the huge and sudden influx since 1998-ish of new residents is that the supply/demand curve has been radically altered. Adding so many people at once, all who have to be housed somewhere, somehow, means that the measures once used to show housing boom/bust have to be reassessed.

Sure, there are other factors too:- second homes, BTL's, low number of new builds, stamp duty disincentives to moving and a period of low interest rates have also had an effect. But the increased demand - increasing daily - will keep the pressure on.

Will they all suddenly return home in a recession or stay here and live on benefits if they are unfortunate and become unemployed?

Or will they be the hungrier ones with the lower overheads who keep working for low pay during a recession?

Will they bring their families here once they get settled or continue to live apart?

Will global warming suddenly end so that they can return to their currently deforested, floodied, water poor, health poor, education poor. peace poor, law and order poor origins? (Caused largely by the First World's own greed and filth).

Will Eastern Europe suddenly catch up economically with the UK overnight and they all rush back home?

Would you?

The world is changing fast and the government is not planning enough for the consequences of its actions. In fact Gordon Brown likes what is happening as it keeps wage inflation low, the unions at bay and the middle classes feeling happy with their house price rises and cheap labour supplies.

If the Bank of England gets too enthusiastic with rate hikes Gordon will lose the election. Maybe that's why the BofE is talking up rises but not doing it now and why GB wants an election before the muggles wake up to what happens next!

What about all the people who have left the UK to go to France etc.

Guest AuntJess
What about all the people who have left the UK to go to France etc.

The papers report that every day 1000 Brits leave the UK, and 1500 foreigners enter. Work it out. It is a net increase, and those are just the ones who are monitored, not including illegals. :o

That article is a fallacy of composition, I have never met a single immigrant that has bought a house.

Moron, they still have to live somewhere. Nearly 50% of the houses in my road are now multiple occupancy and about 75% of the people in them are immigrants.

Five years ago they would have been family homes.

And yes I know several immigrants who have bought homes.

Now go away and try and sound clever somewhere else.

Immigrants are sadly the number 2 enemy of the working classes. The working class only have their labour to sell. Immigrants are taking food from the mouths of working class babies by lowering labour rates.

The labour party are paradoxically the number 1 enemy of the working class and have been for the last sixty years.

Immigrants are all potential labour voters who will fall for the same spin as the working classes in the vain hope they will be able to improve the existing miserable position for their own families. The labour party need immigrants to remain in power.

I have always been lower working class and have always voted labour. I am really truly truly sorry for what I have done. Please forgive me.

Would you?

Good thought provoking post

Who really knows?

"That article is a fallacy of composition, I have never met a single immigrant that has bought a house, has anyone else? How does an immigrant actually get a mortgage?"

?????? There's hundreds of thousands of immigrants in London with houses. Or don't you class Indians in Southall or Soth African accountants in Putney as immigrants.

i think your mixing up settlers with immigrants.....

settlers like indians, chinese and some pakistanis settle here.

immigrants come here to feed off the system - then return home.

often hating their hosts with enough zeal, they have to go back to the country they ran away from in the first place.

even the nice quiet polish builders will be going home. they just live cheap and pack away the roubles.