House Price Crash Forum
Leonard Hatred

619 Jobs To Go At Indesit

As suspected, the Indesit factory (formerly Creda) next to us is to close, with the loss of 619 jobs. Production is moving to Italy and Poland.

A good chunk of people in our street and in the village work there, so it looks like they're going to have to quickly find another way of paying their mortgage in an area already badly affected by the closures of the pots and pits :(

As suspected, the Indesit factory (formerly Creda) next to us is to close, with the loss of 619 jobs. Production is moving to Italy and Poland.

A good chunk of people in our street and in the village work there, so it looks like they're going to have to quickly find another way of paying their mortgage in an area already badly affected by the closures of the pots and pits :(

Sensible policies for a happier Britain? :(

I didn't even know this was a UK brand. I feel quilty of buying French instead. I thought it was Italian already.

Bad news. This is the price that has to be paid for overvalued sterling attracting foreign cash to the UK to keep HPI flying. Our exports become uncompetitive and the 'miracle' economy claims another victim.

if propduction is going to poland you have to ask WHY ?

oh yes. the uk worker needs even more that £5ph to work. and even that gets little.

nope. this proves the point that high housing costs jobs.

how can we be competitive if we need 200k to house ourselves.

we can all convince ourselves we are a strong economy, but we are not. because we cannot compete.

the rest of the world doesnt agree with our great high house priced economy. and the loss of many makers to cheaper places proves this.

its not in the skills. its in the bills.

Plus "flogging servants, shooting poor people"? :P

You forget the rich need the poor, especially the indebted poor.

Bad news for Indesit employee's though. Another example our manufacturing base being canibilised for the needs of the FIRE economy (Finance/Real Estate).

how can we be competitive if we need 200k to house ourselves.

Absolutely bang on! Case in point: this one mere yards from the factory, at 240k. Not to mention the microscopic new 1-bed bungalows a few yards further down Grindley Lane which, according to my mum, have just gone on sale for two hundred and thirty five thousand pounds :(

This is not an outstanding area, either. Nice, but not outstanding.

You forget the rich need the poor, especially the indebted poor.

Bad news for Indesit employee's though. Another example our manufacturing base being canibilised for the needs of the FIRE economy (Finance/Real Estate).

The last remaining factory in nulabor britain will be the knicker factory in Coronation Street. It will be a sort of quaint and comforting reminder of a by gone world where people used to earn a living actually doing something productive.

but no one is left in poland?

We just lost our local high-tech company this week--Evesham Computer company. 150 or so jobs gone whcih will not help the already depressed nature of this area in the wake of the motor industry collapse.

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/personal-c...ss-blames-brown

Evesham boss blames Gordon Brown
Sales hit by axing of tax break on computers - but warranties will be honoured
Clive Akass, Personal Computer World 06 Aug 2007
Evesham Technology chairman Richard Austin has confirmed our earlier story that the company has gone into liquidation with the loss of 150 jobs

There are no 'Polish' people left in Poland, the resulting vacuum however has sucked in labour from surrounding countries.

This is true. Apparently the vacuum is being filled from outside the EU and Poland is being used as a stepping stone into the miracle economy. 2 years in Poland and "Hey presto" you are a EU resident with access to Gordon's Britain.

This is true. Apparently the vacuum is being filled from outside the EU and Poland is being used as a stepping stone into the miracle economy. 2 years in Poland and "Hey presto" you are a EU resident with access to Gordon's Britain.

You are having a "good" day today RB? ;)

I'm not sure how its going to go with Gordon. He's never off the telly, in meetings etc.

I suspect he might have a good election win... then be the first prime minister, not to be voted out, but dragged out of Number 10 by the mob.

It's happening all over the country job losses to overseas, Two tractor factories within 3 miles of me have shut within the last three years with the loss of almost 1500 jobs to italy. The world is now is a more open market place as far as places for cheap labour are concerned. There are more and more jobs in warehousing which pay minimum wages ,How can people afford to pay high mortgages and high rents on that sort of money.

I didn't even know this was a UK brand. I feel quilty of buying French instead. I thought it was Italian already.

Don't feel guilty, they are Italian.

They took control of Hotpoint a while back, I guess they must have inherited some factories that they are now closing down :(

Don't feel guilty, they are Italian.

They took control of Hotpoint a while back, I guess they must have inherited some factories that they are now closing down :(

Thy buy out companies and then take the work back to their country.

There are no 'Polish' people left in Poland, the resulting vacuum however has sucked in labour from surrounding countries.

so the lucky brits started selling their homes in late 90s early 00s and flooded to france, italy and spain in their hundreds of thousands.

poles flooded in to fill the gap. ukranians moved to poland.

i confess i cant keep up. unable to compete in the global economy.

i think a life of crime beckons. either that or voluntary work .

This is necessary to create a leaner and stronger UK

FTSE 100 up again today!

(Does not seem to make sense I know)

I believe the FTSE is up on the back of hign risk money having nowhere else to go. If funds can only invest in certain rated investments they are going to spread between FTSE and government bonds. The problem is to much money is chasing to little quality.