House Price Crash Forum
smiffy1967

40% Rise In House Prices + Peak Oil, Get Real Guys!

I have studied energy security for over 5 years and am peak oil and peak gas aware, how on mother earth can houe prices rise by 40% by 2012? By 2012 Britain will be in the middle of an energy crisis, oil will be + 100 or 150 USD prices like that will caue unpresidented energy led inflation and peak oil and gas will be a household name along with climate change by then, did these people who came out with this news go to the numpty school of economics?

Let alone the amount Britain will have to spend on energy imports as our north sea dwindles to nothing, and we decomission old nuke power plants and hope that the french can produce enough nuclear power for them as well as supply us with energy.

Those smug idiots who actually believe that there house is a train to wealth need to check out latoc powerswicth and peakoil.com before they get to full of them selves. one bad hurricane in the next 2 months could make the whole house of cards collaspe and if it dnt come this year, i bet my wifes hanbag it will be truly upon us by 2012, but then im just a conspiracy theorist.

I have studied energy security for over 5 years and am peak oil and peak gas aware, how on mother earth can houe prices rise by 40% by 2012? By 2012 Britain will be in the middle of an energy crisis, oil will be + 100 or 150 USD prices like that will caue unpresidented energy led inflation and peak oil and gas will be a household name along with climate change by then, did these people who came out with this news go to the numpty school of economics?

Let alone the amount Britain will have to spend on energy imports as our north sea dwindles to nothing, and we decomission old nuke power plants and hope that the french can produce enough nuclear power for them as well as supply us with energy.

Those smug idiots who actually believe that there house is a train to wealth need to check out latoc powerswicth and peakoil.com before they get to full of them selves. one bad hurricane in the next 2 months could make the whole house of cards collaspe and if it dnt come this year, i bet my wifes hanbag it will be truly upon us by 2012, but then im just a conspiracy theorist.

Agreed, any future HP analysis that doesn't consider energy costs is worth less than the paper it's written on -- at least you can burn the paper to stay warm!

Brrrr (((:ph34r:)))

Just out of interest, when do you reckon peak oil will hit to the extent that it causes serious problems?

It's been predicted for a little while now and whilst I have no doubt it's coming I'm not sure when.

At $150 p/b, shares in BP, Shell and Exxon will go through the roof as profits triple. Ring your stockbroker today before it's too late and you miss the boat. Buy enough shares now and the dividends should keep you in petrol for the rest of your life.

At $150 p/b, shares in BP, Shell and Exxon will go through the roof as profits triple. Ring your stockbroker today before it's too late and you miss the boat. Buy enough shares now and the dividends should keep you in petrol for the rest of your life.

My thoughts exactly. I bought Shell four months ago and would recommend it to anyone as a no brainer.

Just out of interest, when do you reckon peak oil will hit to the extent that it causes serious problems?

It's been predicted for a little while now and whilst I have no doubt it's coming I'm not sure when.

very soon and very real. cant wait to see all those smug idiots who brought land rover sports paying 5 quid a litre of petrol whilst there buy to let investments sink.

Not that i wish them i'll, i just hate those who are so blind they cannot see and dont realize that oil is food and think that petroleum is infinite and that we humans will invent our way out of any crisis.

We need to make peak oil aware.

There was a guy interviewed on Radio Scotland today at lunchtime, who appears to be some sort of Peak Oil denier.....it was all in response to this 'Totnes - transition town' business:

http://transitiontowns.org/Totnes/

Anyhoo, he did assert (rather amusingly) that since Totnes started all this 'transition' business, its oil consumption has increased :lol:

He also claimed that Peak Oil was '200 years away'........no idea who he was, but he was presented as some type of 'expert'.

it's fairly simple.

the economy goes through 7 years of feast,7 years of famine....well an analogy..it's more like 16 each way.

we've had feasting consumers for 16 years..since 1991.....now it's payback time.

asia/france/germany has had it tough for the same period....erm,what happens next???

strong currency or not,these guys are just arriving to the party...to enjoy all the booze,while US/UK and the like are getting the hangover.

The economy as a whole won't suffer,we've got a pretty diverse bunch of companies.But certain sectors will fare much better than others....and retail/domestic finance ain't....bigtime!!

it's easy to see why so many people have been subliminally herded into psychotherapy....it's because the populace have been OD'ing on credit....and like any other narcotic,it can produce mental ailments when overdone.

The poor dears need to talk over their problems.

well here's a bit of advice for free.....everything in moderation.

..If you choose to binge-drink....then you accept the risk of ending up in fights/liver damage/drink driving/one-night stand getting up the duff......and so on.

no point in saying,"well they did have a voddie+red bull for £1 offer in the club"....YOU take responsibility for your actions.

it's fairly simple.

the economy goes through 7 years of feast,7 years of famine....well an analogy..it's more like 16 each way.

we've had feasting consumers for 16 years..since 1991.....now it's payback time.

asia/france/germany has had it tough for the same period....erm,what happens next???

strong currency or not,these guys are just arriving to the party...to enjoy all the booze,while US/UK and the like are getting the hangover.

The economy as a whole won't suffer,we've got a pretty diverse bunch of companies.But certain sectors will fare much better than others....and retail/domestic finance ain't....bigtime!!

it's easy to see why so many people have been subliminally herded into psychotherapy....it's because the populace have been OD'ing on credit....and like any other narcotic,it can produce mental ailments when overdone.

..If you choose to binge-drink....then you accept the risk of ending up in fights/liver damage/drink driving/one-night stand getting up the duff......and so on.

no point in saying,"well they did have a voddie+red bull for £1 offer in the club"....YOU take responsibility for your actions.

...house prices didn't start moving up until around '96 after GC1.....as I mentioned on another thread the people who move into negative equity (usually the most recent borrowers and MEWers) in the forthcoming anticipated storm will count themselves lucky if their lender allows them to ride it out ......i.e. living on credit......the only cycle here is the binge into doing anything to borrow as much as possible, encouraged by many lenders / intermediaries whose standards had reduced to shovelling the cash out the door.... :lol::lol:

...house prices didn't start moving up until around '96 after GC1.....as I mentioned on another thread the people who move into negative equity (usually the most recent borrowers and MEWers) in the forthcoming anticipated storm will count themselves lucky if their lender allows them to ride it out ......i.e. living on credit......the only cycle here is the binge into doing anything to borrow as much as possible, encouraged by many lenders / intermediaries whose standards had reduced to shovelling the cash out the door.... :lol::lol:

Anyone who thinks a petroleum crisis is not just around the corner is living in fantasy land. There is now a parlimentary commity on peak oil and gas. It's real and it is at the most 2 years away and we dont have time to mitigate it, in fact it is here now and we just wont wake up to the idea for a year or to ( rear view mirror effect)

Anyone who goes out and thunders themself into a quarter of a million pounds worth of debt better hope that the government stops the bank from repoing them in the very near future.

write your MP and ask for more transparacy with regards to peak oil and gas.

Not if sterling rises and the dollar continues to fall.

it's fairly simple.

Its not simple - not simple at all.

Anyone starting out with this line should be taken with a pinch of salt (even if the idea is correct).

No it doesnt.

Thats complete nonsense - I dont remember a recession or 'famine' lasting 16 years from 1975-1990.

I'm not even going to comment any more on this actually, its just wish fulfillment.

Edited by needle

Oil.

10,000,000 years of algae blooms occurring 300,000,000 years ago...

IrelandBloom_MER_FR_Orbit22250_20060602_lg.jpg

Which was then captured, crushed, condensed and converted into fuel (for free).

Harvested and spent in 200 years.

Thats 100,000 years of global ocean plankton growth for 1 year of todays oil supply (assuming free capture and conversion). Think we can replicate that?

It's totally unimaginable for us to find an alternative to oil on this scale.

Oil.

10,000,000 years of algae blooms occurring 300,000,000 years ago...

IrelandBloom_MER_FR_Orbit22250_20060602_lg.jpg

Which was then captured, crushed, condensed and converted into fuel (for free).

Harvested and spent in 200 years.

Thats 100,000 years of global ocean plankton growth for 1 year of todays oil supply (assuming free capture and conversion). Think we can replicate that?

It's totally unimaginable for us to find an alternative to oil on this scale.

Never mind, ethanol will save us :rolleyes:

what exactly did this study involve?

oil only accounts for 38% of world energy. More energy is from coal + gas than from oil. Gas is though to have at lest 20yeeasrs more time to peak than oil and coal some 100 years more than oil.

Peak oil is a conspiracy myth. It definitely will not happen in our lifetime. I think the future lies in nuclear power plus susainable energy sources like solar, wind, wave etc. The main reason for this is the desire to reduce polution.

I have read the conspiracies about Peak Oil, I have to admit I am sceptical of this theory. There are just too many people with no vested interest who have done calculations and studies that suggest that oil will peak and in our life time. In the "Last oil shock" by David Strahan he says that if the whole planet consumed oil like the US does we would run out in 7 years (not peak, but run out based on known reserves)!!

Estimates vary on when the peak will happen, from now (it already happened) to sometime around 2035. The 2035 date is based on USGS reports that have already been disproved and expected flow rates from some of the OPEC states that they have already said are unfeasible. A number of estimates come in around 2015.

For the UK, we have a problem, whilst the market does indeed dicate which energy source we decide to use, we are not giving ourselves any time to change to alternatives. In the interim what are the alternatives:

Bio fuel - not enough land to grow food and biofuel

Gas - the North Sea has peaked and is in decline, and prices tend to rise as oil does, we buy a lot of gas from Russia. Russia will have a pipeline to China by 2011, and can then start bidding wars between them Europe (including the Uk). Global gas is predicted to peak around 2025, however gas is a lot harder to transport therefore peaking will occur at different times in different places.

Nuclear - current power stations are due to be decommissioned (although i dont think this will happen). It is estimated that even if we start now (which we havent) any new reactors would take 10-15 years to build.

Coal - big CO2 emitter, however I dont know if the government will care if TSHTF although Europe will. I have read that it would take approximately 6 years to get a coal pit running, if they need to capture the CO2 from the power stations then it will take alot longer for this to be used. Need approximately 20 tonnes to make one barrel of oil, and its very messy.

Renewables - too little, to prove an effective interim solution

Bottom line is, if peak oil hits soon, I dont think the Uk has a viable alternative anytime soon. Result will be a inflation of all oil related products (its already happening but it will get worse) then recession, (a global one I think), this will delay the peak (or if we have already hit peak extend the plateau) for a year or so but it will be different this time. We dont have a cheap easy replacement to get ourselves out of the mess.

More energy is from coal + gas than from oil. Gas is though to have at lest 20yeeasrs more time to peak than oil and coal some 100 years more than oil.

I tend to think of peak oil as peak fossil fuel.

Peak oil is a conspiracy myth. It definitely will not happen in our lifetime. I think the future lies in nuclear power plus susainable energy sources like solar, wind, wave etc. The main reason for this is the desire to reduce polution.

How do you explain the rise in Oil from $30 to $70 in a few short years; surely it is to do with demand not keeping up with supply.

If we're going to rely on nuclear, can we discuss peak uranium? Also, don't we have to import this?

oil only accounts for 38% of world energy. More energy is from coal + gas than from oil. Gas is though to have at lest 20yeeasrs more time to peak than oil and coal some 100 years more than oil.

Well its a good job we have our own UK gas production then. Or do we?

http://europe.theoildrum.com/node/2790#more

"A surplus of £1 billion in 2000 is converted to a deficit of £8 billion by 2012. Note that this model assumes no growth in domestic gas consumption and a relatively modest increase in gas prices. There is also the possibility that the DTI forecast for domestic gas production proves over-optimistic."

Oh ******

Well its a good job we have our own UK gas production then. Or do we?

http://europe.theoildrum.com/node/2790#more

"A surplus of £1 billion in 2000 is converted to a deficit of £8 billion by 2012. Note that this model assumes no growth in domestic gas consumption and a relatively modest increase in gas prices. There is also the possibility that the DTI forecast for domestic gas production proves over-optimistic."

Oh ******

8 billion is an insignificant figure. 1 billion alone is wasted on tax credit mistakes each year. Billions can be made with a windfall tax of 100 pounds on the entire country.

My thoughts exactly. I bought Shell four months ago and would recommend it to anyone as a no brainer.

I'm undecided on this. I agree that the price of oil will rocket in the coming years but I'm not convinced oil companies stand to gain. As oil supplies dwindle, they will have less to sell (albeit at a higher price) and profit potential will be lower. Investors will start looking at other energy sources to make their returns.

If the price of petrol keeps going up then people will just have to damand that the tax on petrol is cut.

:lol::lol::lol:

That was a good one! I like the sentiment but I can't see the government cutting fuel duty.