House Price Crash Forum
steve99

Australian Rental Property

Rent in Australian cities has gone through the roof, people are queuing up to rent due to a severe shortage, a couple of years ago there was more empty rental property than you could poke a stick at and yeilds were rock bottom. Could this happen here? Quite possible, this is how it was back in the 80's and before, people begging for the privilage of renting a crappy run down flat, if you think landlords are scum now, you wait till we go back to this.

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Article.as...0808:crisisface

Rent in Australian cities has gone through the roof, people are queuing up to rent due to a severe shortage, a couple of years ago there was more empty rental property than you could poke a stick at and yeilds were rock bottom. Could this happen here? Quite possible, this is how it was back in the 80's and before, people begging for the privilage of renting a crappy run down flat, if you think landlords are scum now, you wait till we go back to this.

I think that is a difficult one to call since rents are so much cheaper in Australia.

Reminds me of how renting used to be in the 80s, whatever the other downsides of ASTs and BTLs, the current situation for renters in the UK is a lot better than that.

Our rental agent advised us to increase rents >10pc this year (Sydney), albeit after two years of no rises. Seemed a bit excessive so we went for a lower figure. Market is tight in central locations, much less so elsewhere, for buyers as well as renters.

Rent is Aus is always less than here (when calculated as yield) due to the more favorable LL tax breaks.

High House Prices - Social burden, but you can rent.

High Rental Costs - Social burden, there is little alternative, but to go to the social cap in hand?

If rents do go through the roof, then local councils will have problems. Displaced families in B and B's?

Even worse, increased mortgage costs, through base rate rises, repo's as a result, cannot find/afford to rent>HOMELESS?

A sad state of affairs for the working class family man? :(

High House Prices - Social burden, but you can rent.

High Rental Costs - Social burden, there is little alternative, but to go to the social cap in hand?

If rents do go through the roof, then local councils will have problems. Displaced families in B and B's?

Even worse, increased mortgage costs, through base rate rises, repo's as a result, cannot find/afford to rent>HOMELESS?

A sad state of affairs for the working class family man? :(

Interesting dilemma really. I'd be inclined to say that although people would like to have their own house and the stability that brings if it's a choice between being unable to buy and unable to rent then I'd say being unable to rent is far more worrying and far more damaging to the most vulnerable elements of society.

THANK GOD for rises

id just like to imform you that a man has to work hard to get things in life, ive worked hard on my fathers estate all my life, and last year inherited his fortune, so it pays in the end,

you lot sound lazy to me, ive invested in many houses and rent them out to people, i feel im supplying homes to people, and as they can not be bothered to work hard for their own im to be penalised .

i dont think so

i have 26 house now and will continue to buy more, there will be no crash you silly people

THANK GOD for rises

id just like to imform you that a man has to work hard to get things in life, ive worked hard on my fathers estate all my life, and last year inherited his fortune, so it pays in the end,

you lot sound lazy to me, ive invested in many houses and rent them out to people, i feel im supplying homes to people, and as they can not be bothered to work hard for their own im to be penalised .

i dont think so

i have 26 house now and will continue to buy more, there will be no crash you silly people

I've worked for Cunard all my life; I am still broke.

THANK GOD for rises

i dont think so

Very informative, thanks for the time and effort you put into that statement above?

You sound a lucky kind of guy, helping people out like you do, i hope you get that peerage one day? ;)

Very informative, thanks for the time and effort you put into that statement above?

You sound a lucky kind of guy, helping people out like you do, i hope you get that peerage one day? ;)

He'll have to donate a couple of those homes to Labour in order to get a peerage :P

Worry not.

He'll get what he deserves.

THANK GOD for rises

i dont think so

Well arent well lucky then? Ive worked my ring piece off for 30 years and have just about paid for my house, some savings and no pension, not everyone has a guarenteed path to follow to riches you know. I have been made redundant several times due to recessions and company closures and each time have had to go back to the bottom in a new field as each technology moves on, I am nearly 50 now and potentialy perminantly unemployed. Just think about how privilaged and lucky you have been, in fact there is no need for you to turn up at this site with your gloaty attitude, in fact you arent wanted around here in any way shape or form you pig.

THANK GOD for rises

i dont think so

Sounds like a wind up. He can't spell. He only uses upper case letters once at the start of the post. And he uses commas when a full stop is required.

Hardly the product of a good education :lol: