House Price Crash Forum
bill65

Bank Charges, Petition To The Prime Minister

The petition:

"We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Remove bank charges, and restore the meaning of liqudated losses".

It would have helped if the spelling was correct.

In some countries it was the case if you issued a cheque or other order on a current account without funds to meet it....it was a criminal offence....it causes a lot of hassle in any Bank dealing with returned cheques, direct debits or unpaid standing orders.

If the customer who causes the issue is not going to pay everyone else in the future will....more than likely with a monthly current account charge.... :o:o:o

In some countries it was the case if you issued a cheque or other order on a current account without funds to meet it....it was a criminal offence....it causes a lot of hassle in any Bank dealing with returned cheques, direct debits or unpaid standing orders.

Up until the 50s, an army office who bounced a cheque was expected to resign his commission (British army that is). I don't see why the majority of people who aren't so feckless that they can't manage to stay within the, extremely simple, rules set by most banks should now be expected to start subsidising the losers that are.

Up until the 50s, an army office who bounced a cheque was expected to resign his commission (British army that is). I don't see why the majority of people who aren't so feckless that they can't manage to stay within the, extremely simple, rules set by most banks should now be expected to start subsidising the losers that are.

Thats the spirit, in my day we had to work a 48 hour shift down 't pit and when you got 'ome had a lump 'o coal for tea and clip around 't ear 'ole.

Thats the spirit, in my day we had to work a 48 hour shift down 't pit and when you got 'ome had a lump 'o coal for tea and clip around 't ear 'ole.

......not sure of the context here but who gave you the clip around the ear? :o:o

Funnily enough, I grew up (in as far as I've ever actually grown up) in North Yorkshire and used to have an accent not a lot different from the ones the Python's took the piss out of.

....is the Prime Minister really going to attend to this...?...... :lol::lol:

He should! The ignorance of some on this forum is shocking!

Returning a direct debit costs the bank 0... nothing nadda zilch feck all! its all automated and as such the banks are exploiting individuals by charging £30!

Bouncing a cheque does cost the bank which quite rightly should result in a charge... but £30.. still a joke in my book!

If banks dont want people to go overdrawn they can stop it. Its easy to set up a rule that says that if balance = 0 do not pay. But if they did that how can they charge people for being overdrawn! and then charge people even more for going futher overdrawn because of the charge they placed! Its exploiting a situation plain and simple and shouldnt be allowed!

Every few weeks this arguement pops up on these forums and the same short sighted blinkered views come out from those who have obviously never known financial hardship in their lives!

Returning a direct debit costs the bank 0... nothing nadda zilch feck all! its all automated and as such the banks are exploiting individuals by charging £30!

Bouncing a cheque does cost the bank which quite rightly should result in a charge... but £30.. still a joke in my book!

If banks dont want people to go overdrawn they can stop it. Its easy to set up a rule that says that if balance = 0 do not pay. But if they did that how can they charge people for being overdrawn! and then charge people even more for going futher overdrawn because of the charge they placed! Its exploiting a situation plain and simple and shouldnt be allowed!

Every few weeks this arguement pops up on these forums and the same short sighted blinkered views come out from those who have obviously never known financial hardship in their lives!

...are you an expert in costing........your Spanish is quite good but costing...... :( ......why should anyone be allowed to set up a direct debit and leave no funds in the bank when it is claimed.....the banks' credit management teams have to review the trends on the individual's accounts when they start racking up returns and check to see if the OD is safe or do they need a higher limit (it cost's money to spoon feed ) and the volume of returns does not do the reputation of the Bank any good....these all have a financial cost...

Financial hardship is no stranger to most of us but discipline was no stranger either...... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

The petition:

"We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Remove bank charges, and restore the meaning of liqudated losses".

It would have helped if the spelling was correct.

If the customer who causes the issue is not going to pay everyone else in the future will....more than likely with a monthly current account charge.... :o:o:o

Woopee doo. Better and honest 2.50 a month which covers the costs of banking than a rip -off £30 fine which makes the bank huge profits.

2.50 is what I pay for my Australian bank account btw.

Woopee doo. Better and honest 2.50 a month which covers the costs of banking than a rip -off £30 fine which makes the bank huge profits.

2.50 is what I pay for my Australian bank account btw.

...yeah...but what is the tariff charge for a returned cheque....nothing......? ...... :ph34r:

this is an absurd point - the banks are not a cartel, they are competitive with each other.

Bank charges in many cases are an incentive to persuade customers NOT to operate outside of their accounts' margins, rather than proportionate to actual cost to the bank, I don't see why they shouldn't charge whatever they like.

Since I do not incur bank charges, because I don't break those rules, then the money lost thru not charging defaulters must surely be made up by the more organised of us who don't default in whatever way?

How dare you suggest I should subsidise other peoples' fecklessness.

If you don't like your bank, go to another.

this is an absurd point - the banks are not a cartel, they are competitive with each other.

how many cental banks do we have?

ONE

that is a monopoly

our base interest rate is set on the whim of a few powerful men, it is not market determined. If it where market determined interest rates would fluxuate per second and would be set by the amount of savings versus debt rather than the whim of a few men.

banking is perhaps the one and only true monopoly.

I've known financial hardship in the UK context at least and I've still managed never to pay any bank charges other than those I agreed to in advance. If you're so dumb as to spend money you haven't got (the banks don't charge for telling you what your account balance is as far as I recall) then you have no right to whine about being charged for it afterwards. Take some responsibility for your own actions for once.

I've known financial hardship in the UK context at least and I've still managed never to pay any bank charges other than those I agreed to in advance. If you're so dumb as to spend money you haven't got (the banks don't charge for telling you what your account balance is as far as I recall) then you have no right to whine about being charged for it afterwards. Take some responsibility for your own actions for once.

Egg credit card decided I need protection adding to my credit card which they charged at £3.00 a month, they didn't tell me this and as I hadn't looked at my account for a year this ran up debts of £100's of pounds of penalties for not paying there cumulative charge of £3.00 a month, banks are crooks, errors and mistakes always work in their favour, I think you know what I'm saying, £30 billion in profit a year doesn't happen by accident.

Guest X-QUORK
Egg credit card decided I need protection adding to my credit card which they charged at £3.00 a month, they didn't tell me this and as I hadn't looked at my account for a year this ran up debts of £100's of pounds of penalties for not paying there cumulative charge of £3.00 a month, banks are crooks, errors and mistakes always work in their favour, I think you know what I'm saying, £30 billion in profit a year doesn't happen by accident.

What do you expect if you don't pay attention to your finances?

Or fraudulently claim benefits.

Hypocrite

I pay a considerable amount of tax and NI every month out of my wages. I also go without a lot of luxuries every month so that I can save some money for a deposit on a flat when they become affordable again.

If I was to lose my job for some reason, do you think I should be 'rewarded' for my prudence by having to spend my savings rather than claiming what I would be entitled to (JSA, Housing Benefit & Council Tax Benefit) had I simply pi$$ed this money up the wall?

Like the poster you are castigating Barry, I too would not disclose all of my savings or move them elsewhere in order to get my full benefit entitlement.

If that also makes me a benefit fraudster or a hypocrite, so be it and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

I pay a considerable amount of tax and NI every month out of my wages. I also go without a lot of luxuries every month so that I can save some money for a deposit on a flat when they become affordable again.

If I was to lose my job for some reason, do you think I should be 'rewarded' for my prudence by having to spend my savings rather than claiming what I would be entitled to (JSA, Housing Benefit & Council Tax Benefit) had I simply pi$$ed this money up the wall?

Like the poster you are castigating Barry, I too would not disclose all of my savings or move them elsewhere in order to get my full benefit entitlement.

If that also makes me a benefit fraudster or a hypocrite, so be it and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Sums up the state of Britain today.

Corrupt from top to bottom.

The most corrupt government we've ever had.

Benefit fraudsters at the bottom.

Middle classes think nothing of fiddling insurance claims, lying about who's driving when caught on speed cameras, paying/charging cash for jobs.

And everybody is so brazen about it.

I too could hide my savings and claim benefits if i wanted to but choose not to. I used to think i was honest. I now think I'm just being naive.

All i need to do is think up some reaon to rationalise my cheating and it will all be justified. That's what everyone else seems to do.

"I've paid my taxes".

"I've paid my insurance fees".

etc,etc

No I will not sign up.

And I hope and pray that banks will win their trial court case on bank charges..

I am good with my money, I am financially literate. I am not willing to start paying fees for current banking just so those that spend beyond their means have lesser penalties to pay.

Sums up the state of Britain today.

Corrupt from top to bottom.

The most corrupt government we've ever had.

Benefit fraudsters at the bottom.

Middle classes think nothing of fiddling insurance claims, lying about who's driving when caught on speed cameras, paying/charging cash for jobs.

And everybody is so brazen about it.

I too could hide my savings and claim benefits if i wanted to but choose not to. I used to think i was honest. I now think I'm just being naive.

All i need to do is think up some reaon to rationalise my cheating and it will all be justified. That's what everyone else seems to do.

"I've paid my taxes".

"I've paid my insurance fees".

etc,etc

No, I don't need to rationalise my cheating or even justify it. If I happened to have a £30k car (or any other asset) on the driveway and no savings I'd be entiltled to all and sundry benefits. I would not be expected to sell it. Why should savings be treated any differently?

And yes, that does sum up the state of Britain at the moment where people are penalised for financial prudence and saving.

No, I don't need to rationalise my cheating or even justify it. If I happened to have a £30k car (or any other asset) on the driveway and no savings I'd be entiltled to all and sundry benefits. I would not be expected to sell it. Why should savings be treated any differently?

And yes, that does sum up the state of Britain at the moment where people are penalised for financial prudence and saving.

Then next senetence you do just that. How thick are you?

Then next senetence you do just that. How thick are you?

Doh! :P Well spotted.

So how about it Barry? Going back to my original scenario, the £30k saver gets hammered whereas the £30k sports car guy gets all the benefits? Is this fair do you reckon?