House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bambam

The Myth Of Gentrification

Everyone, in London at least, is determined that their area is 'up-and-coming', and whereas 20 years ago no self-respecting successful graduate would dream of living in somewhere like Tooting, it is now seen as a sensible choice.

Yet I do not see that it can be possible that EVERYWHERE is gentrifying.

Britain is certainly not getting less scummy, no-one thinks that our schools are turning out better pupils, that fewer parents are raising horrible children, etc.

So where can these people that made people's lives a misery be going?

Just being moved around I think.

Here's a comment that reveals the reality of the "move into a luxury flat and get the Barrat lifestyle" pitch that new flat buyers are sold.

http://www.boris-johnson.com/archives/2007...p#comment-26873

"Here's a cruel trick by bicycle thieves in our so called luxury apartments in Luton.

One post of Sheffield stand has been sawn all the way through, leaving an almost unnoticeable cut. Thieves slide the stand apart and steal bikes from residents that haven't noticed the cut.

Could this have anything to do with the fact that we have 25% occupancy by housing association who have been moved in from a closed down council block and former crack den? When they are not dumping rubbish and stealing bikes, they're smashing the place up and overdosing.

Why oh why do the rest of us have to pay for these people and this ridiculous policy?"

Everyone, in London at least, is determined that their area is 'up-and-coming', and whereas 20 years ago no self-respecting successful graduate would dream of living in somewhere like Tooting, it is now seen as a sensible choice.

Britain is certainly not getting less scummy, no-one thinks that our schools are turning out better pupils, that fewer parents are raising horrible children, etc.

So where can these people that made people's lives a misery be going?

Just being moved around I think.

Here's a comment that reveals the reality of the "move into a luxury flat and get the Barrat lifestyle" pitch that new flat buyers are sold.

http://www.boris-johnson.com/archives/2007...p#comment-26873

"Here's a cruel trick by bicycle thieves in our so called luxury apartments in Luton.

One post of Sheffield stand has been sawn all the way through, leaving an almost unnoticeable cut. Thieves slide the stand apart and steal bikes from residents that haven't noticed the cut.

Could this have anything to do with the fact that we have 25% occupancy by housing association who have been moved in from a closed down council block and former crack den? When they are not dumping rubbish and stealing bikes, they're smashing the place up and overdosing.

Why oh why do the rest of us have to pay for these people and this ridiculous policy?"

Reminds me of a vaguely funny story. Years ago, I was looking for a house to rent for a 6 months or so and looked at quite a nice canal-side place in east London. The existing tennant kindly showed me round the place and gave me the low-down. The house was a row of 8 in a terrace, all of which except one were well kept with tidy gardens etc. The one next to the one I was looking at was clearly being lived in by 8 Ace and his family (broken fridge in the front garden, piles of rubbish and worse in the back). I asked casually where the neighbours were from and he looked me straight in the eye with a slight twitch and said one word 'hell'. It was housing association of course and, no I didn't rent it. The idea of buying a house somewhere and having that set of neighbours move in strikes me as enourmously unfair.

On the subject of Boris Johnson. I see that the Guardian are having a bit of a go at him today. They quote "In another article ... he has referred to children as "piccaninnies" and described the "watermelon smiles of black people".

I think it's totally unfair for the Graduain to pick on Boris for such comments - they're exactly the sort of utterances I hear from all the Tories I know, and I know a lot of them. I can forgive the whole 90% of Tories, all of whom make these sort of comments, because they're over 85 years of age and are starting to go Deolali. It's less easy to understand the reason why the other 10% - brainless as they may be - say such things.

Didn't take long for Buffoon Boris' past to catch up with him!

Johnson 'would destroy London's unity' as mayor. Doreen Lawrence attacks Tory frontrunner, saying black people will not vote for him

p

Edited by patprimer74

Certainly an eye opener for me,renting in Nottingham,having previously sold out in the Peak District.Two years ago,I didn't even know what a hoodie was,now I know they are psychopathic teenagers running the show after six every evening.I think most urban dwellers are just anaethetised to the problem,just as they seem to be with litter and graffiti.

Can't understand how places in gentrified areas such as Brighton and London can fetch the prices they do with the quadruple whammy of hoodies,litter ,noise and graffiti.

Edited by crashmonitor

That's one of wonders of the miracle economy, don't you know?

All it takes is for a couple of spit-and-sawdust pubs to be turned into minimalist gastro-winebars, and a greasy spoon to be turned into a trendy coffee bar. Then cue droves of shiny-happy-people-having-fun moving into the area. All the indigenous scum will disappear in a puff of smoke, as if by magic. :rolleyes:

Edited by bugged bunny

Yes, the city centre apartment developers produce beautiful glossy brochures. They'll contain an artist's impression of s*****y apartment blocks and glass clad offices. They show professional types in business suits cruising the area and enjoying a glass of wine at a street-side cafe.

What you usually end up with is something like this

Yes, the city centre apartment developers produce beautiful glossy brochures. They'll contain an artist's impression of s*****y apartment blocks and glass clad offices. They show professional types in business suits cruising the area and enjoying a glass of wine at a street-side cafe.

What better reason is there not to buy if you live in a city.Rent and it will wash over you,buy and you will be depressed and trapped.

Edited by crashmonitor

Gentrification is a myth for sure. True gentrification is where you used to have poor, normal or a mix of people and now you only get the rich and services to cater to them. Thousands of rural areas have economically cleansed their normal people and are now often honeysuckled commuter museums or second home wastelands.

True urban gentrification is much rarer and in the last decade we've seen areas get scummier and scummier while their house prices quadruple. My own grimey street is a case in point. In 1999 is was a working-class family street where a terraced house cost £60-70k and consisted of a mix of British and established Asian families. In the earlier part of the boom 2000-2002 it became briefly a location for priced out young professionals and a feeding ground for BTL parasites. Post NuEU, pretty much every house that comes on to the market changes from family use to HMOs or shared houses. Needless to say, more house than ever now have the typical tat, old junk, matresses and crap outside with peeling paintwork and crumbling masonry untended.

Oh, and now even a 2-bed tiny house costs £200k+...

Ha - i grew up /went to school in Tooting and it certainly has changed over that time. Still cant beat it for a good choice of a cuzza ;)

are typical of the intimidating behaviour that forced him out of his £250,000 apartment in Ivegate.

A £250k apartment in Bradford for fekks sake? The world has really gone mad.

Guest Bart of Darkness
These shocking pictures of fighting, alleged drug dealing and people being sick or urinating in the street were captured on camera in just one night of disorder in Bradford city centre.

Shocking to those who never seem to venture into those areas (like the police)

The resident, who asked to remain anonymous over fears of further intimidation, said he had "asked and almost begged" West Yorkshire Police and Bradford Council to provide a greater police presence in the Ivegate area in the evenings and at weekends.

Almost begging didn't work, maybe he needed to actually beg in order to get anything done.

A police spokesman said Bradford attracted large numbers of people at night in common with other large city centres, and added that there had been a "dramatic" reduction in city centre violence since the launch of Operation Gridiron 18 months ago.

Well that's all right then. The statistics on his flat screen monitor tell him that there's nothing to worry about. No need to leave the station now, hmmmm.... is it time for tea and biscuits yet?