House Price Crash Forum

My 500th Post: Btl Roundup

HOLA441

BTL investors hold a special place in our hearts on this site. Therefore, let's have three BTL-oriented headlines from the past few days

This first one had me spluttering with fury

http://www.landlordexpert.co.uk/index.php?news=1034

What the market really needs is the development of bespoke rented housing designed to meet the needs of renters and which will remain in the sector over the long term.”

Encouraging the development of bespoke blocks of rented housing held for the long term by institutional investors will undoubtedly help boost the rental market in a sustainable manner

Now they want to lock all the renties away in "bespoke blocks", obviously so they don't blight the landscape for the property owners.

The second one, entitled "Buy-to-let investors are 'not adding to UK's housing crisis'"

http://www.24dash.com/socialhousing/25532.htm

is about how investors certainly do not deliberately keep properties empty, thereby worsening Britain’s housing crisis.

“Although to our knowledge this is the first study to discover the truth behind the claims of buy-to-leave, we never doubted the results. It simply makes no sense for investors to leave properties empty."

The survey consisted of 484 participants, all of whom had mortgages with Britain’s biggest buy-to-let company, Instant Access Properties Ltd. Which I wouldn't call comprehensive.

The third is about some legal wrangling going on:

http://www.citywire.co.uk/News/NewsArticle...nuKey=News.Home

In an attempt to head off calls for regulation of the buy-to-let industry, Sir Bryan Carsberg, a former director general of the Office of Fair Trading, is to chair an independent review of the residential property sector, sponsored by the professional bodies the Association of Residential Letting Agents, the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the National Association of Estate Agents.

I particularly liked the twisted logic in the sentence "an independent review of the residential property sector", followed directly by "sponsored by the professional bodies the Association of Residential Letting Agents, the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the National Association of Estate Agents."

I think this site needs more BTL investors on it, to provide their fair and balanced opinions, and to try to make the renties here all feel more comfortable with their lot.

Don't you agree?

Edit: This was my 500th post!

Edited by The Colour

HOLA442
BTL investors hold a special place in our hearts on this site. Therefore, let's have three BTL-oriented headlines from the past few days

This first one had me spluttering with fury

http://www.landlordexpert.co.uk/index.php?news=1034

Now they want to lock all the renties away in "bespoke blocks", obviously so they don't blight the landscape for the property owners.

The second one, entitled "Buy-to-let investors are 'not adding to UK's housing crisis'"

http://www.24dash.com/socialhousing/25532.htm

is about how investors certainly do not deliberately keep properties empty, thereby worsening Britain’s housing crisis.

The survey consisted of 484 participants, all of whom had mortgages with Britain’s biggest buy-to-let company, Instant Access Properties Ltd. Which I wouldn't call comprehensive.

The third is about some legal wrangling going on:

http://www.citywire.co.uk/News/NewsArticle...nuKey=News.Home

I particularly liked the twisted logic in the sentence "an independent review of the residential property sector", followed directly by "sponsored by the professional bodies the Association of Residential Letting Agents, the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the National Association of Estate Agents."

I think this site needs more BTL investors on it, to provide their fair and balanced opinions, and to try to make the renties here all feel more comfortable with their lot.

Don't you agree?

Edit: This was my 500th post!

When will the people on this site see the benifit to them of BTL.

They have more options and cheaper rent than ever before. There is no downside for renters (Loosers).

They should be happy to rent it is cheaper than buying!!!

HOLA443

They have more options and cheaper rent than ever before. There is no downside for renters (Loosers).

Nice try, but that doesn't make me feel more comfortable with renting. Perhaps it was your use of the term losers.

HOLA444

Perhaps when those extolling its virtues learn to spell 'benefits'

Deary me, it gets worse! So renters are loose? I thought they were tight!

Correct, well done, until the HPC that is, when they'll use their lovely deposits (which they've saved because they're tight) to buy from (uneducated) newbie BTL losers!

HOLA445
HOLA446

Trying to think of benefits of BTL and MEW and think I may have come up with a few. The majority on here appear to be FTB/STR and waiting for prices to fall before buying. As a result of the BTL pushing up property prices, people in general have been happier to MEW their property and releasing their equity.

A reasonable proportion of this has been spent improving their properties. Someone who bought a property for 100k, which has subsequently increased in value to 200k is likely to be far happier putting in a new 15k kitchen rather than revamping the old one for a couple of thousand if the property hadn't increased in value. This extra expenditure on home improvements has improved the quality of housing stock - beneficial to everyone.

Similarly, the kitchen company has been busier, requiring extra sales staff and fitters to carry out the greater demand - increasing employment. Not only does this reduce unemployment but the government also earns more money - increased taxes on greater profits from the company and staff & reduced welfare costs. If the govt coffers weren't being topped up in this way they would be looking at extracting more money from the working population (I assume the majority on here). As such we are all better off.

For those that have STR or are FTB I really don't see what your gripes are. Increased demand (albeit speculative demand) has increased property values and as such the quality of housing stock. The property market is and will always be cyclical (as with every other market). When prices fall you will have your pick of property which will be completed to a far higher standard than there would have been without this rise in values. You have also been able to save more as taxes haven't been increased as much as they would have been. Surely this is a win/win?

The only improvement I can think of is to reduce taxes further. Get rid of Brown and shoddy New Labour. This will make everyone happier - STR, FTB, BTL, OO etc !!!