House Price Crash Forum
bpw

Porkies And Pies

I've tried to make you all have some fun by recognizing the UK is controlled by Pigs, for me Animal Farm is the perfect alegory and it seems ever more prescient.

In Britian, pigs want to feed from a trough filled by the hard work of others and the pigs have no intent of sharing their ill-gotten positions in life. I realise there are problems when generalising but it seems to help when trying to understand intergenerational rip-off. The 'pigs' are of course most Brits over the age of 50 who think their children owe them everything. I have some examples that make the point:

I sat in someone’s front room and had to listen to her squeal about the limitations being placed on non-critical health care. The pig thought the NI contributions on their £25k salary had paid for endless health and dental care... it wasnt of interest to her that most young people have to pay for their own dental care and that their children were paying for her to have benefits that they wont enjoy. Oink...

Another pig drives a taxi for a living and is about to sell his house for close on a million pounds - its a cheesy 1970s bungalow on a half acre of land. Clearly, it pays to be a taxi driver since all you have to do is buy a house and sell to someones son or daughter at a grossly inflated price.

Another pig doesn’t work at all, since both he and his pig wife claim disability benefits - I cringe each time I watch a video of them doing the jitterbug at a garden party. These pigs btw like to boast they have three vacations in the Mediterranean each year.

The final lesson from animal farm is the biggest pig of all... and that’s our man Tony - after three terms in office his trough is filled with central London houses and supplicant letters to the golf cart driver who runs America.

Oink!!

Edited by bpw

I sat in someone’s front room and had to listen to her squeal about the limitations being placed on non-critical health care. The pig thought the NI contributions on their £25k salary had paid for endless health and dental care... it wasnt of interest to her that most young people have to pay for their own health care and that their children were paying for her to have benefits that they wont enjoy. Oink...

I wasn't aware that most young people have to pay for their own health care ... the more prosperous often choose to go outside the NHS, but that's been the case for a long time.

But I agree that non-critical health care needs to be limited. In fact, I think we'll soon be at the point where critical care becomes more rationed. Many years ago I read (in the Economist, I'm pretty sure) that 90% of lifetime health costs are incurred during the last 6 months of life. It's callous to say it, but that's a poor use of limited resources.

Another pig drives a taxi for a living and is about to sell his house for close on a million pounds - its a cheesy 1970s bungalow on a half acre of land. Clearly, it pays to be a taxi driver since all you have to do is buy a house and sell to someones son or daughter at a grossly inflated price.

This is plainly a story about a pig and a sheep. I have to admit, I find myself identifying more with the pig.

Another pig doesn’t work at all, since both he and his pig wife claim disability benefits - I cringe each time I watch a video of them doing the jitterbug at a garden party. These pigs btw like to boast they have three vacations in the Mediterranean each year.

This is not limited to over-50s; there are plenty of young piggish scroungers.

There are also the pigs who've capitalised on their easy-equity and remortgaged to get into BTL. They are the ones stealing the wealth from the younger generation and living off the backs of the young. If you've been to a doctor's surgery recently, it's the pigs who take up all the doctors' time bleating on about inconsequential aches and pains and minor problems like haemorrhoids.

Maybe if they didn't eat piggish food and took more exercise they wouldn't be wasting resources and GPs could get on with seeing people with real problems. Another thing is they seem to have so much leisure time and do nothing for it. No wonder the supermarket shelves are empty of all the decent stuff in the evenings.

I wonder when the tables will turn, if ever.

I wonder when the tables will turn, if ever.

they won't change - a pig doesnt change its ears. oink....

If you are young and have any guts then you will leave the pigs to feed on each other and emigrate. I can assure you there is nothing greedier than a pensioner and their appetite is an endless pit of surgery, pills, bus passes, heating allowances (the list is a long one).

Now what makes me angry is there is no way to balance the demands of a pig, they carry so much weight that the scales are always tipped in their favor.

;-)

Edited by bpw

I've tried to make you all have some fun by recognizing the UK is controlled by Pigs, for me Animal Farm is the perfect alegory and it seems ever more prescient.

In Britian, pigs want to feed from a trough filled by the hard work of others and the pigs have no intent of sharing their ill-gotten positions in life. I realise there are problems when generalising but it seems to help when trying to understand intergenerational rip-off. The 'pigs' are of course most Brits over the age of 50 who think their children owe them everything. I have some examples that make the point:

I sat in someone’s front room and had to listen to her squeal about the limitations being placed on non-critical health care. The pig thought the NI contributions on their £25k salary had paid for endless health and dental care... it wasnt of interest to her that most young people have to pay for their own dental care and that their children were paying for her to have benefits that they wont enjoy. Oink...

The final lesson from animal farm is the biggest pig of all... and that’s our man Tony - after three terms in office his trough is filled with central London houses and supplicant letters to the golf cart driver who runs America.

Oink!!

Take a more cheerful outlook on life. Categorising people as pigs etc is not good for you.

Oink!!

You'd have thought a well-known beat combo might have had a crack at a jaunty song along those lines before now... ;)

Have you seen the bigger piggies

In their starched white shirts?

You will find the bigger piggies

Stirring up the dirt

Always have clean shirts to play around in

In their styes with all their backing

They don't care what goes on around

In their eyes there's something lacking

What they need's a damn good whacking!

:lol:

Take a more cheerful outlook on life. Categorising people as pigs etc is not good for you.

It worked for Orwell. He wrote animal farm to warn of the peril in communism. I like the alegory, and don't feel any angst at all when pointing out that the UK has become the home of greedy thoughtlessness. It's a fools game 'sitting out' the inequity since you loose each day, and end up paying someone elses bills at a time in your life when you should be saving for your future. It would make far more sense to emigrate and then return in 15-20 years once the problems have created their own solution. Remember, the pigs will win any fight for territory because they are either in power or hold the wealth. The simple fact is the older generation in Britain are cheating their children and the only solution is to leave the country. It's a lot easier to emigrate than people think.

BTW - how many of you saw the report by the European Commission on the debacle at Equitable Life? It states what I have been saying here for the past two years. Those without guarantees were used to subsidise those with gurantees. The report proves that young people were (on the average) made to underwrite the illgotten gains of older people. Of course once pigs like Stuart Bayliss got their nose in the trough it was irresistable for the pigs in wigs in the house of lords to resist passing laws that paid them outragous bonuses. All proven to be a con by the EU report.

It worked for Orwell. He wrote animal farm to warn of the peril in communism. I like the alegory, and don't feel any angst at all when pointing out that the UK has become the home of greedy thoughtlessness. It's a fools game 'sitting out' the inequity since you loose each day, and end up paying someone elses bills at a time in your life when you should be saving for your future. It would make far more sense to emigrate and then return in 15-20 years once the problems have created their own solution. Remember, the pigs will win any fight for territory because they are either in power or hold the wealth. The simple fact is the older generation in Britain are cheating their children and the only solution is to leave the country. It's a lot easier to emigrate than people think.

BTW - how many of you saw the report by the European Commission on the debacle at Equitable Life? It states what I have been saying here for the past two years. Those without guarantees were used to subsidise those with gurantees. The report proves that young people were (on the average) made to underwrite the illgotten gains of older people. Of course once pigs like Stuart Bayliss got their nose in the trough it was irresistable for the pigs in wigs in the house of lords to resist passing laws that paid them outragous bonuses. All proven to be a con by the EU report.

Despite having bearish pessimistic tendencies, I suspect most of the porcine accused do or will realise that the younger generation are actually in a far worse situation than they faced, and will respond by helping their offspring more than any previous intergenerational group have. We already see this with the oft-quoted help with deposits, bank of mum & dad etc.

I've seen this happen with work colleagues, but have to admit that this throws into stark relief the difference between the moneyed middle classes and the financially only just OK parents that cannot possibly help their kids to get on the housing market, especially as they've probably near beggared themselves helping them through higher education.

As ever, money goes to money and we drift into further inequality - but surely the response is to stay and fight your corner for fairness, not bail out by emigrating. <_<

Despite having bearish pessimistic tendencies, I suspect most of the porcine accused do or will realise that the younger generation are actually in a far worse situation than they faced, and will respond by helping their offspring more than any previous intergenerational group have. We already see this with the oft-quoted help with deposits, bank of mum & dad etc.

I've seen this happen with work colleagues, but have to admit that this throws into stark relief the difference between the moneyed middle classes and the financially only just OK parents that cannot possibly help their kids to get on the housing market, especially as they've probably near beggared themselves helping them through higher education.

As ever, money goes to money and we drift into further inequality - but surely the response is to stay and fight your corner for fairness, not bail out by emigrating. <_<

Many of the piggies seem to want to emigrate too. Especially when they realise what a mess they've made of this country.

How much longer before this country resembles the aftermath of a party gatecrashed by gangs of rampant teenagers? Totally trashed.

Some of the comments and assumptions made on this site are staggering. The notion that any person over the age of 50 who purhcased a house 30 years ago is in possesion of ill gotton gains is ludicrous. My parents for example had their house built for them 28 years ago, just after they got married. They haven't released equity to buy cars or go on holiday - they have paid for these things through hard work and their subsequent wages.

I believe that it is those in their 20's, 30's and 40's who have created demand, moving up on the ladder or fighting to get on in the first place. How is it people like my parents and their friends who have pushed up these prices, they have merely bought a family home and lived in it for years? They have no plans do downsize or release equity, they have savings.

The older generation certainly expect too much from their insignificant NI contributions from a 25k salary. THe solution would be to scrap all NHS services to those under 40. Those who are nearing retirement age can't have the rug pulled out from under their feet at this point in their lives as they have been promised these services by the government due to these contributions that they have paid. In order that we do not repeat these mistakes for our children, all health services should be paid for privately. For our generation there should be no such thing as state pensions, we all have more than sufficient time to save for our old age. And in order to facilitate more saving, benefits whould be reduced to an amount required for the most basic of survival, with no money for scrounging scum to buy cigarettes, alcohol or designer trainers. This would encourage them to work, increasing productivity and GDP.

Having said all this, no doubt the 30 and 40 year old pigs will complian about right winf Tory views and dismiss these points, claiming that they should be provided for by the next generation. Please prove me wrong. Unfortunately, I highly doubt it. It this generation of pigs really so different from the previous one?

Some of the comments and assumptions made on this site are staggering. The notion that any person over the age of 50 who purhcased a house 30 years ago is in possesion of ill gotton gains is ludicrous. My parents for example had their house built for them 28 years ago, just after they got married. They haven't released equity to buy cars or go on holiday - they have paid for these things through hard work and their subsequent wages.

I believe that it is those in their 20's, 30's and 40's who have created demand, moving up on the ladder or fighting to get on in the first place. How is it people like my parents and their friends who have pushed up these prices, they have merely bought a family home and lived in it for years? They have no plans do downsize or release equity, they have savings.

The older generation certainly expect too much from their insignificant NI contributions from a 25k salary. THe solution would be to scrap all NHS services to those under 40. Those who are nearing retirement age can't have the rug pulled out from under their feet at this point in their lives as they have been promised these services by the government due to these contributions that they have paid. In order that we do not repeat these mistakes for our children, all health services should be paid for privately. For our generation there should be no such thing as state pensions, we all have more than sufficient time to save for our old age. And in order to facilitate more saving, benefits whould be reduced to an amount required for the most basic of survival, with no money for scrounging scum to buy cigarettes, alcohol or designer trainers. This would encourage them to work, increasing productivity and GDP.

Having said all this, no doubt the 30 and 40 year old pigs will complian about right winf Tory views and dismiss these points, claiming that they should be provided for by the next generation. Please prove me wrong. Unfortunately, I highly doubt it. It this generation of pigs really so different from the previous one?

I agree with you.

Although I do think that there are some boomers who have had an easy ride, particularly public sector workers who will now enjoy a lucrative and early retirement, not all boomers have had it easy.

My parents have been self-employed and grafted all their lives. When they are off sick there is no sick pay, when they go on holiday, no holiday pay. In fact I've witnessed my mum going to work (in a commercial kitchen - very physically demanding) the day after she broke her arm... because she could not afford to take time off.

And with respect to boomer NHS contributions, I have heard my mum talk about when she entered the workforce at 15, National Insurance contributions were about 1/3 of earnings, and there was no minimum threshold like there is now.

Edited by Ethel

This generation of pigs learnt many of their patterns of behaviour from the previous one. Unfortunately, it seems that behaving like a pig is soon to become the only way to prosper for the younger generations if they don't want to emigrate, or even if they do emigrate.

Who or what is ultimately to blame? IMO, a whole host of cultural and historical factors, and the philosophy of those who have governed this country over the past few decades, i.e. the majority of politicians and the big corporations.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and attempt to look at things from a different angle. I've been lurking on here for a while and have to say that a lot of people are very bitter!

This is a capitalist country which encourages free enterprise. If people are clever enough to take advantge of the rewards that property ownership can bring then surely that's fair game. At least they have the initiative to get off their backsides and attempt to do something to increase their wealth instead of moaning from the sidelines that the world owes them something. It's supply and demand and if someone wishes to buy a house at any price then thats their perogative.

There are still oportunities to get on the housing ladder even though housing is expensive currently. No one has a devine right to buy a house either. I'm sure everyone is aware of the renting culture in European countires such as Germany

I sat in someone’s front room and had to listen to her squeal about the limitations being placed on non-critical health care. The pig thought the NI contributions on their £25k salary had paid for endless health and dental care... it wasnt of interest to her that most young people have to pay for their own dental care and that their children were paying for her to have benefits that they wont enjoy.

Oink!!

Yep ,totally agree.I am a little short of fifty but I have had definitely had my nose in the trough on the housing equity scam(Eddie George and his mates decided to print me £167200 profit after all mortgage costs on my last property),and the NHS and State Pension freebies are to come.Missed out on the trillion pound state superannuation pension shortfall paid by private sector workers,largely my own fault that since I started out in Local Government.But hey two out of three aint bad.

Rather ungrateful I think when boomers can't admit to running off with all the cash or pretend a few shillings a week was enough to provide a forty year state pension and state of the art health service for their retirement.Of course some of us believe five loaves and two fishes feeds the five thousand.Nope the five thousand workers in generation x and Y are keeping you in the manner to which you have become accustomed.

Edited by crashmonitor

Although I do think that there are some boomers who have had an easy ride, particularly public sector workers who will now enjoy a lucrative and early retirement, not all boomers have had it easy.

possibly, but ii can say with conviction that ALL boomers had it EASIER.

Guest X-QUORK
I'm going to play devil's advocate here and attempt to look at things from a different angle. I've been lurking on here for a while and have to say that a lot of people are very bitter!

This is a capitalist country which encourages free enterprise. If people are clever enough to take advantge of the rewards that property ownership can bring then surely that's fair game. At least they have the initiative to get off their backsides and attempt to do something to increase their wealth instead of moaning from the sidelines that the world owes them something. It's supply and demand and if someone wishes to buy a house at any price then thats their perogative.

There are still oportunities to get on the housing ladder even though housing is expensive currently. No one has a devine right to buy a house either. I'm sure everyone is aware of the renting culture in European countires such as Germany

You play Devil's Advocate very convincingly Ian, almost like a bull in bear's clothing.

I'm not sure why you think people who happened to have been born at the right time to buy cheap property are any cleverer than those who weren't. The majority of home owners aren't making astute financial decisions, they just bought a place to live in that happens to have risen in value over the last 10 years - you might remember there were plenty of folk who "got off their backsides" and bought houses in 1988. Seven years later those same houses were worth a lot less than they paid for them. Was that them being astute, using initiative? I imagine there was a fair bit of moaning going on then aswell eh? Just not from the renters that time.

I totally agree with you that it's the perogative of any person in this country to buy a property at todays over-inflated prices, but don't expect those of us that have the balls to stay out of it to have any sympathy for them when they get burnt in the ensuing crash.

If people are clever enough to take advantge of the rewards that property ownership can bring then surely that's fair game.

and if people are also 'clever' enough to wait for those other clever people to go bankrupt and buy the properties at crash cost - thats fair game too.

If only I had been "clever" enough to be born in 1975 instead of 1981! :lol:

Yeah, I need to join you in the "thickos" corner. I was even more stupid, I was born in 1978 so i was right on the cusp of the sensible prices...... personally I blame my parents. :blink:

Edited by lulu

I'm going to say was a capitalist country. Big business and government have sown up oportunities for the little guy. Basically businesses now work on such high multiples of whatever product or service they supply there is very little room for the startup now. You need so much startup cash there is no way you can get it. Throw in crazy health and safety legislation. I got told at a place I freelance at they are having to get rid of four legged chairs as they are dangerous WTF? Since labour it has become increasingly difficult to start a small business, we are now at a point where it's almost futile. Contracting and freelancing have been made a crime by Brown.

Cash in hand is the way forward

As for housing it has been a way for some to make some money at the expense of the now never to be born. But ultimately I don't want to be a fukin half arsed tard of a diy painter and decorator who got lucky with his or her date of birth. I do prefer skilled work. I think the job I do should pay for a house. A house is somewhere to live have children and not make money from. The current state of housing in the country, like the public sector and banking has just become another society threatening parasite which needs to be destroyed in it's current form before it bleeds us dry.

Bring on the crash level the playing field.

Edited by Ipodjunky

There are also the pigs who've capitalised on their easy-equity and remortgaged to get into BTL. They are the ones stealing the wealth from the younger generation and living off the backs of the young.

If only they realised that you reap what you sow.

By being so selfish and inconsiderate now...they have bred selfish and inconsiderate kids....who won't take kindly to paying for their pensions.When these offspring get into office(which they will),there will be no mercy for the coming batch of pensioners....there will be NO NHS...it'll be private,if you cant afford it,too bad.

likewise with pensions...

oh and if we get bird flu.....it's game over.Priority will be given to children and those of childbearing age.

You play Devil's Advocate very convincingly Ian, almost like a bull in bear's clothing.

I'm not sure why you think people who happened to have been born at the right time to buy cheap property are any cleverer than those who weren't. The majority of home owners aren't making astute financial decisions, they just bought a place to live in that happens to have risen in value over the last 10 years - you might remember there were plenty of folk who "got off their backsides" and bought houses in 1988. Seven years later those same houses were worth a lot less than they paid for them. Was that them being astute, using initiative? I imagine there was a fair bit of moaning going on then aswell eh? Just not from the renters that time.

I totally agree with you that it's the perogative of any person in this country to buy a property at todays over-inflated prices, but don't expect those of us that have the balls to stay out of it to have any sympathy for them when they get burnt in the ensuing crash.

Just wondered if you could clarify those who were born at the right time and those who weren't. Were people born in 1980 born at the right or wrong time? Plenty of 27 year olds will be moaning that prices are too high for them now, then again they could have bought 8 years ago when prices were cheap as many of their colleagues would have done. What about those born in 1970 - could have been a sticky situation if they bought at 19 in 1989, then again they could well have bought in an undervalued market in 1994. So are they the lucky ones?

I really wish people on here would stop making sweeping generalisations that some age groups are lucky and soe aren't. People of all ages have bought, some at the top of markets, some at the bottom (are those who are 16 now really luck - surely house prices will have dropped through the floor by the time they are old enough to buy?!)

There are huge advantages and disadvantages to being born at all stages in time. Those who are in their 70's now were able to buy really cheap housing ....... but then again they had that war thing to live through!! Food and clothing also cost a huge amount more back then in real terms.

Current 50 year olds were able to buy relatively cheap housing. Food and clothing was still relatively expensive though, they didn't have much in the way of labour saving technology during their formative years and foreign holidays were an extremely rare luxury for them until they reached their 30's.

My generation (people in their 20's) have had a very comfortable life so far. Most have had all sorts of luxury consumer goods as a staple part of their life, they haven't had to worry about having enough food and were generally spoilt with designer clothing by their parents (the greedy baby boomers). Most have also had annual foreign holidays, go out to eat regularly and have new cars. BUT, they may have to rent for the next few years rather than buy a house (their rented property will still be warm, double glazed, have a washing machine, inside toilet, hoover, central heating etc)

You REALLY sure the current generation has it hardest.........just because houses cost a bit more?!!

Capitalism isn't free trade and there certainly is no such thing as fair trade. The current financial system has been going for almost 300 years and the industrial age approximately 200 years. It is a system that ensures poverty and debt slavery for the majority of people on the planet. The aggregate result is a transfer of wealth from poor to rich. It is called capitalism because it uses the basic premise of exploitation of the workers by those that control the financial system.

For winning ww2 [which was a continuation of ww1], the masses were awarded a small share of the wealth generated. This was driven by the supply of easy and cheap oil. However, subsequent generations are now giving it all back in the form of interest payments resulting from excessive debt.

Anyone under 50 is going to find the future interesting, anyone under 20 is likely to find the future a nightmare of their parents making. Today might very well be the high point in the project of human civilisation. We might be the best fed, best educated, and wealthiest people ever to set foot on the planet. I think we all know that the future is all about poverty for everyone except a few in the elites.

And I thought communism was the result of truely deranged thinking, it would appear they were just giving people a glimpse of the future. I think I'll have a lie down now as I was hoping the future would look like Buck Rogers in the 25th Century...what a disappointment...

Edited by SMAC67

My generation (people in their 20's) have had a very comfortable life so far. Most have had annual foreign holidays, go out to eat regularly and have new cars. BUT, they may have to rent for the next few years rather than buy a house (their rented property will still be warm, double glazed, have a washing machine, inside toilet, hoover, central heating etc)

You REALLY sure the current generation has it hardest.........just because houses cost a bit more?!!

Today might very well be the high point in the project of human civilisation. We might be the best fed, best educated, and wealthiest people ever to set foot on the planet. I think we all know that the future is all about poverty for everyone except a few in the elites.

When my Dad (now 60) first started work in the 1960s, an older employee said to him "Everything is cheaper now than when I was your age - except houses". My Dad could very well say the same to me today!! As nick22abdn says, we may not all be able to afford a house, but our OVERALL standard of living is BETTER today than our parents was when they were in their 20s.

Where I think SMAC67 has a point is that today IS probably the high point for the current developed world. Not because of our elite - we would overthrow them if they dared let the gap grow too large (look what became of the excesses of the French monarchy!). Rather for the wealth of the world to even out (as it is surely fair that it must) our standard of living must fall if India, China and Africa are to rise - there are simply not enough resources in the world for 6 billion people to have 2 cars and a fortnight in Orlando every year.

Edited by scottbeard

Guest X-QUORK

Nick22abdn,

I agree with you that each generation has different aspects that are easier or harder than before, and in some ways this balances out many of the inequities such as house prices, pensions, etc...although there are many on here who would argue that baby-boomers have had more than their fair share of good fortune.

Let me put it another way then, rather than it being when we were born, it is more a case that we all make decisions that have far reaching implications beyond what we can reasonably predict. For some, like those that bought their first house in 1995, fate has looked favourably upon them. For others who felt for whatever reason they couldn't buy at that time, they are a bit stuffed now. Neither the buyer nor the renter in 1995 had any idea what was going to happen with house prices over the next 12 years...so neither has been shown more astute than the other, however one has become financially wealthier (on paper at least). Some property owners act like they're as financially savvy as Warren Buffet, when in actual fact they've had sweet FA to do with the "making" of their fortunes.