House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
plouf

Need Legal Help: Landlords Wants To Use The Place As Storage For His Furniture!

We are about to move into a rented house. When we visited there were a couple of furniture (5 big sofas !!! and 3 large dining room tables + all their chairs). We mentionned to the landlord that we were willing to keep some of them, but we never said we'd keep all of it.

Then we signed the tenancy agreement, and when getting closer to the start date, the landlord does not want to hear anything about removing these from the property. He

- does not want to sell it (even if we propose to help him do so)

- wants to put it in the inventory

- does not want to put it in the garage, say, before the inventory (he says we can do so, but of course, if we do they are going to rot and then he'll say we should have kept them in the reception)

- does not want to organize a meeting with us to discuss that and find a solution. For instance we propose to keep part of the furniture (as a favor to him), but then to get them excluded from the inventory.

- he even added a couple of items which were not there at the viewing!!!

Even though the EA's ad mentionned furnished/unfurnished, the contract does not specify whether it is furnished or unfurnished, but it's hard to argue that it is furnished, given that the bedrooms are totally empty.

We intend to attend the inventory, mention our objections, and return the inventory stating that we do not consider these furniture as part of the tenancy agreement. And then, once we're in the house, we'll let him know that it's his last chance to accept our offer of taking away some of the furniture, otherwise we reserve ourselves the right to take legal action (which might mean he'll have to take all of it!)

Any advise or similar experience?

Thanks

Guest muttley

I'm not sure where you stand legally, but do you really want to rent a property from this guy? Your problem started when you agreed to keep some of the furniture. Your LL has taken advantage of your good nature by now refusing to move any of it. Presumably he will demand access to his furniture throughout the tenancy. I would refuse to sign the inventory and look for somewhere else.

Not sure where you would stand legally, but it sounds to me like he wants you to rent the house but also wants to use it as a storage shed. This landlord is taking the mick. I agree with the previous poster - do you really want to rent from someone like this? This is the sort of guy who is going to cause you trouble come "getting your deposit back time". It would want to be an exceptional property at an exceptionally low price, otherwise my advice would be:

Run!

Edited by D'oh

Not sure where you would stand legally, but it sounds to me like he wants you to rent the house but also wants to use it as a storage shed. This landlord is taking the mick. I agree with the previous poster - do you really want to rent from someone like this? This is the sort of guy who is going to cause you trouble come "getting your deposit back time". It would want to be an exceptional property at an exceptionally low price, otherwise my advice would be:

Run!

Well it's not like we have much choice. We have children and are renting a 5 bedroom house. So finding a house like that close to their school is not an easy task. The property is very nice (but pretty expensive > 3500£/month). So it's not like we can so easily find alternatives. But anyway, I am not too worry. A friend who's a sollicitor told me that if it's not furnished we can request that he takes out everything.

What's amazing with this local rental market is that there is little supply, but there seems to be even less demand. With rising property prices and intrest rates, landlord demand higher rents, even if these rents are not realistic (we've visited houses which were vacant since 2 months!). And to make things worse, real estate agents are supporting their arrogance... It's about time that the market turns around...