House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dude wheres my house

Mr. I M Sheeple

I am Mr Sheeple and i have my money invested in a number of ways. I own shares in a variety of managed funds and have some cash in a low interest account for a rainy day. I also own one BTL as my pension fund.

Today i am reading the news and i see that Bear Stearns has blocked exits from another one of its funds, the third in a couple of weeks. I too have money in another of this companies funds that has not yet been blocked, should i be looking to pull my money out of this fund.

I am also now feeling the squeeze on my BTL, with the recent interest rate rises i have realised that when my fixed rate mortgage with northern rock runs out in 2 months i will not be covering the payments with the rent. I have looked into raising the rents on my flat but even though this is a luxury 2 bed flat in a new build development there seems to be a several already on the market to let BELOW what i am currently charging!!!

Any advice on how i should restructure my investments or how to increase my income are welcome.

It's a no brainer. Sell your managed funds, release any equity in your BTL and then use the cash to put deposits down on as many more BTLs as you can afford. Within a few years you'll be rolling in it.

Here's some stellar advice, from a letter sent in 1929 when the same conditions existed :

1. Go to your BTL appartment block.

2. Climb stairs until you reach your appartment on the 10th floor.

3. Jump.

Debts instantly erased. Problem solved. :P

I am Mr Sheeple and i have my money invested in a number of ways. I own shares in a variety of managed funds and have some cash in a low interest account for a rainy day. I also own one BTL as my pension fund.

Today i am reading the news and i see that Bear Stearns has blocked exits from another one of its funds, the third in a couple of weeks. I too have money in another of this companies funds that has not yet been blocked, should i be looking to pull my money out of this fund.

I am also now feeling the squeeze on my BTL, with the recent interest rate rises i have realised that when my fixed rate mortgage with northern rock runs out in 2 months i will not be covering the payments with the rent. I have looked into raising the rents on my flat but even though this is a luxury 2 bed flat in a new build development there seems to be a several already on the market to let BELOW what i am currently charging!!!

Any advice on how i should restructure my investments or how to increase my income are welcome.

As the real Mr shepple i would never be this silly :P

Dear Mr Sheeple

As I am sure you are aware, your BTL is your biggest liability. So this is the one you need to focus most attention on.

With the ever-expanding population of the UK, housing is at a premium. And you can get a much better yield from your fine investment if you following these steps immediately:

1) Give notice to any tenants who may be in your BTL

2) Assuming this is a standard 2-bedroom flat, that gives you 3 habitable rooms

3) Go down a builders' yard and get some 4x2 and some plasterboard.

4) Identify the largest area in your open plan living room/kitchen that you can and create a new separate living room. Henceforth called Bedroom 3

5) Next stop Ikea. Depending on the size of your rooms, you can probably fit 2 bunk beds in your master bedroom, 2 bunk beds in your new living room and 1 bunk bed in your smallest bedroom.

You are now the proud owner of a house of multiple occupancy (HMO). Legislation won't touch you. You are one of Britain's army of rich landowners, so don't let petty ideas about laws cloud your judgement.

Now, you have 10 beds.

All you have to do is find 10 Eastern Europeans to move into your HMO and charge them the paltry sum of £45-50/week each.

If your BTL flat happens to also have a garage in a block nearby .... you could be quids in with just another 2 bunkbeds!

Also - these rents are "cash in hand", thus cutting out a lot of the headache of admin paperwork. And, more essentially, time.

This not only solves your problem immediately, but also helps the plight of 10 fine upstanding people who have come to our country for a brave new start.

Indeed, should you wish to embark on a second purchase in the forthcoming months, I'd be pleased to look over your investment from the outset to help you with your decisions over occupancy limits.

I wish you well Mr Sheeple. I am sure your astute financial management will show a superb return on your investment over the coming years.

The old adage "you can't go wrong with bricks and mortar" is very true.

Sail on Mr Sheeple ... sail on to the land of over-abundant opportunity and fortune through investment.

If there is any further advice you need, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Your friend in adversity

Mr D Odgee

Edited by ScaredEitherWay

Guest Yeahbutnocrash

Or Sheeple could be a bunch of people who kept saying the market would crash between 2003 & 2006 when instead there was massive HPI

You pays your money you takes your choice...

Or Sheeple could be a bunch of people who kept saying the market would crash between 2003 & 2006 when instead there was massive HPI

You pays your money you takes your choice...

Except a lot of the Sheeple who've bought between 2003-06 didn't pay any money. The flipped properties, lied about income, took out 125% loans, MEW'ed etc just to get their slice of the BTL mania that's sweeping the UK.

Had this group been forced to use their own money , we wouldn't have had "massive HPI" for the period you quote.

Guest Yeahbutnocrash
Except a lot of the Sheeple who've bought between 2003-06 didn't pay any money. The flipped properties, lied about income, took out 125% loans, MEW'ed etc just to get their slice of the BTL mania that's sweeping the UK.

Had this group been forced to use their own money , we wouldn't have had "massive HPI" for the period you quote.

Oooh they were intelligent sheeple then? (or some of them at least) :D

Whilst I agree those points are factors I doubt it explains all the HPI

I guess you all realise that the fact someone refers to the masses as sheeple does not necessarily make their own arguments any more valid?

Also whoever the 'sheeple' are don't simply assume they always get it wrong just coz some guru made a few bucks producing a book which told people about trends etc...

Edited by Yeahbutnocrash