House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bambam

Hpi Finally Hitting Home

Just saw the advert "It's every family's dream to own a beautiful farmhouse in the countryside, blah blah blah"

Ah yes, it's the Daily Mail's "win a country home" competition, which has been going for YEARS.

Difference is, this year's is not a chocolate box cottage in the Cotswolds as per usual.

Nope, this time it's in FRANCE!!!! (No doubt because of far lower prices there)

Even the Daily Mail can't afford to pay the property prices they've spent the last 10 years trumpeting the rise of..

Ah, the irony

Superb....

'do you dream of owning a home in the county? We can help..its just not in THIS country' :lol:

I bet its not on a direct line to Liverpool street for an easy commute :lol:

Guest Bart of Darkness

:) Same thought occured to me too.

(And before anyone asks, I was lent that copy of the DM. By someone who was buying it for the "World at War" DVDS).

(And before anyone asks, I was lent that copy of the DM. By someone who was buying it for the "World at War" DVDS).

That's your story ;)

I found it slightly (unintentionally) ironic that the the Daily Hate is giving away what is arguably the the definitive documentary about WW2.

It's proprieter during the 30s and 40s was a faschist sympathiser, directly associated with Hitler and the Nazi state.

"Hooray for the Brownshirts" as one of their 1930's headlines ran.

Silly twunts

Guest Bart of Darkness
That's your story ;)

I did actually once part with my own cash for a copy of the Sunday Mail. They were doing a DVD of the Alister Sim version of "A Christmas Carol", which I thought could (just possibly) justify buying the Mail.

The only other time I'm likely to be leafing through the Mail is when I get my hair cut (most times I try and time it so that I arrive during a quiet period so that it's straight in and out). TBH I find reading the Mail tends to "angry up the blood" as Grandpa Simpson might put it.

Surprised by just how much hatred there is for the Mail. Granted, it is a far from decent paper, always stirring stuff and not exactly a challenging read! There are some decent papers around - FT, Times, Telegraph. However, from the general stand point on here of hating the rich and opening home ownership for all and sundry do I take it that many prefer left wing tripe such as the Guardian and Independant to the Mail?

I once had an argument with someone at work, with him adamant that the Mail was a right wing, fascist paper whilst the Guardian was an impartial paper, only interested in the truth! His head was so far up his **** that he couldn't see that the Guardian was in fact just the opposite, with a heavy left wing bias.

Are all of these Mail haters Guardian reading teachers, or do they merely prefer a higher quality of reporting such as the Times (and yes I realise this has a right wing slant)?

Surprised by just how much hatred there is for the Mail. Granted, it is a far from decent paper, always stirring stuff and not exactly a challenging read! There are some decent papers around - FT, Times, Telegraph. However, from the general stand point on here of hating the rich and opening home ownership for all and sundry do I take it that many prefer left wing tripe such as the Guardian and Independant to the Mail?

I once had an argument with someone at work, with him adamant that the Mail was a right wing, fascist paper whilst the Guardian was an impartial paper, only interested in the truth! His head was so far up his **** that he couldn't see that the Guardian was in fact just the opposite, with a heavy left wing bias.

Are all of these Mail haters Guardian reading teachers, or do they merely prefer a higher quality of reporting such as the Times (and yes I realise this has a right wing slant)?

Who knows? More importantly - do they know the newspaper is called 'The IndependEnt'?

Well, I am a teacher...but I also hate the Grauniad. :lol:

It has (along with many other broadsheets) ramped the BTL market ceaselessly over the last few years, whilst simultaneously running bleeding heart 'Whither social housing?' articles in its Society section (funded almost entirely by adverts for 'Diversity Officers' etc).

Its Education section was a worthwhile read about 15 years ago but is now just a mouthpiece for dismal NuLabour 'initiatives' e.g. 'Academies run by shadowy religious quasi-sects - aren't they grrrreat?', with no serious analysis.

Can't really find a newspaper that provides any quality journalism these days. Read the Times/Telegraph online but I only really put my hand in my pocket to buy The (Glasgow) Herald from time to time.

I don't like the DM . I also don't like the rest of the tabloids, but at least with The Sun et al, you know what you're getting. The DM tries to be middle class, and constantly runs stories about how foreigners are spending YOUR money and other stories designed to get people irated.

The Express is in my opinion equally ridiculed for it's Diana fixation.

I used to read the Indie, which I thought was good until it started running stories (about 18 months ago) about the demise of the thrush or field mouse as front page stuff when there were other stories of monumental proportions occuring at the same time.

Mangle

Guest Charlie The Tramp
he couldn't see that the Guardian was in fact just the opposite, with a heavy left wing bias.

You should have read it in the late 50s, then called The Manchester Guardian, bought and read by the so called intellectuals. I can tell you now that in Poplar, Bow, and Stratford their circulation was 31 copies a day. Mind you I would expect their sales in those areas to be well up today.

Well I am thankful to the Mail having received 14 DVDs of The Darling Buds Of May and am now awaiting 26 DVDs of the series The World At War. ;)

Guest Bart of Darkness

To be honest there is no newspaper I can think of that I would want to buy or read on a regular basis.

As someone once said "it's all crap and horse manure".

I found it slightly (unintentionally) ironic that the the Daily Hate is giving away what is arguably the the definitive documentary about WW2.

It's proprieter during the 30s and 40s was a faschist sympathiser, directly associated with Hitler and the Nazi state.

"Hooray for the Brownshirts" as one of their 1930's headlines ran.

Silly twunts

Didn't the guardian also supported a brutal dictator in the 1930's just a Russian one instead of a German one ?

I did actually once part with my own cash for a copy of the Sunday Mail. They were doing a DVD of the Alister Sim version of "A Christmas Carol", which I thought could (just possibly) justify buying the Mail.

The only other time I'm likely to be leafing through the Mail is when I get my hair cut (most times I try and time it so that I arrive during a quiet period so that it's straight in and out). TBH I find reading the Mail tends to "angry up the blood" as Grandpa Simpson might put it.

:lol:

I only bought Mein Kampf for the Sodoku :rolleyes:

There aren't really any papers worth buying any more... -

The Sun - T1ts & a$$ white van man Murdoch tosh. The odd funny headline though

News of the Screws - As above, but with more BB & t1ts & a$$

Daily Mail - Nimby twaddle (but do a good job in highlighting benefit / immigration scandals)

Daily Express - As above, but with added Di factor

Guardian - PC nonsense now, and the Weekend magazine is cringeworthingly bad (their property sction about a month or so ago listed one of the downsides to a particulr house was it's proximity to a 'council' estate - how brotherly is that!?)

Times - Good writers / articles, but I'll be damned if I'm giving Murdoch my cash)

Indie - Yawn..., and the writing is pi$$ poor

Torygraph - Was the first to be bearish & seems to be taking a sensible line on things - and I'm an ex-Guardian reader.

Daily Sport - Quality photojournalism at it's best :P

BTW, why is the Guardian reffered to as the anagram Grauniad? Am I missing the joke??

Just saw the advert "It's every family's dream to own a beautiful farmhouse in the countryside, blah blah blah"

Ah yes, it's the Daily Mail's "win a country home" competition, which has been going for YEARS.

Difference is, this year's is not a chocolate box cottage in the Cotswolds as per usual.

Even the Daily Mail can't afford to pay the property prices they've spent the last 10 years trumpeting the rise of..

Ah, the irony

Yep, and did anyone see the TV advert for it ? The house is not even real in the advert, it's a computer generated animation!

BTW, why is the Guardian reffered to as the anagram Grauniad? Am I missing the joke??

Cos of their notoriety for bad spelling or at least, bad copy checking.