House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Justice

We Know We Have Global Warming, Blair Say

londonflood1ES2707_468x279.jpg

Author Richard Doyle believes it is a question of when rather than if the Thames Barrier will become obsolete

According to Mr Doyle, it is not a question of whether such a disaster could befall the city, but when. He believes that the Thames Barrier is obsolete and should be replaced by a larger one at Tilbury.

But having told us it's true about global warming goverment say this

Environment Agency dismissed it as nonsense, saying: "It may make for a good read but it is not good science.

They can not have it both ways and what do you think a £1m rabit box is going to be worth in London if indeed this is true.

If they could make the London eye water proof it might be quite a good tourist attraction. See London from above and below river level.

Guest Yeahbutnocrash

This reminds me of a program I saw months ago on this subject

Apparently the strategy up until quite recently was to build some flood defences further out nearer the sea to stop the land flooding there but they realised this only serves to channel more water up the thames

So it seems thay have changed that strategy to allow flooding to happen further out nearer the region of the estuary as thats what would naturally happen in any case and so now means less water would come up the thames

But I don't know if the book was taking that into account or how significant the affect of the change will be in the longer-term

Guest anorthosite

London's doomed anyway - check out a phenomenon known as isostatic rebound. When the ice melted after the last ice age, the crust underneath rose slightly out of the mantle as there was less weight on it. The north of London was were the ice ended, and so was the pivot point of this rebound, meaning that London is sinking.

Its not enough to make a huge difference in our lifetimes, but in some areas of London, I wouldn't suggest buying a house to leave to your grandchildren.

Oh, and there's climate change (man made or not) raising sea levels. As I understand it the Thames Barrier is designed to hold off extreme changes in water levels - storm surges and high tides basically. It can't stop the slow seepage of water through the soft clay of London's bedrock as the sea level slowly creeps up.

Guest Skint Academic
londonflood1ES2707_468x279.jpg

This picture makes me more moist than if I was actually there!

This picture makes me more moist than if I was actually there!

I reckon the next mode of personal transport`s going to be the hovercraft! :lol:

Guest Skint Academic
I reckon the next mode of personal transport`s going to be the hovercraft! :lol:

No doubt some people would want the biggest fuel guzzling hovercrafts they can and if you don't get out the way in time it goes right over you and you sink.

The school run would be interesting!